No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-25, 10:33pm
And silence is golden

Default Twistie Lengths ~ how long are yours

Just out of curiosity, what is the average length that most of your twisties end up being once they are "pulled" - (is that the proper term)? ~ Aleta
Old 2009-09-26, 5:53am
DSDWC

I work with large gathers and get between 2 and 3 pulls of twsted cane off each gather. My pulls average about 45 inches with a twist every 1/8th inch sometimes even tighter. I do a pull until it reaches may max length or just plain starts to hurt, cut it from the gather and then pull my next section. I usually get 3 pulls out of a gather which works out to be 10 or so feet of nice straight, even, tightly twisted cane from each gather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-09-26, 6:46am
GlassDocNC

oooook, but what do normal mortals do?
Old 2009-09-26, 7:29am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaglassgal View Post
oooook, but what do normal mortals do?
I was kind of thinking the same thing!
Old 2009-09-26, 8:00am
Growing Edge Glass

my twisties are usually around 2 feet in length and 4-6 mm thick....if I want thinner then I pull a little longer length

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2009-09-26, 8:32am
Ellyloo-YAH!

that's about my length too.

That reminds me... Watching Joe on his Avenuebeads cam, he has a bent piece of something that he uses...I've been meaning to bend a mandrel so i can hook it to an eyelet on the wall so i can walk away from my twisty as I twist.

Old 2009-09-26, 10:14am

My twisties are almost always around 12 inches long. I like mine skinny and tightly twisted!

Candy

Old 2009-09-26, 10:22am
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadgoodies View Post
I like mine skinny and tightly twisted!
I don't know WHY this made me laff???
Old 2009-09-26, 1:29pm
Back to 👊 1

Because your mind is in the gutter AGAIN David!
But once ya pointed that out, I'm giggling as well!

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2009-09-26, 1:47pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

My twisties are the length of my arms spread, because I can't pull them any further than that *chuckles*

Though sometimes I have a slightly thicker piece at one end that I can pull into supper fine twisties, ala Kimberly Affleck's tutorials.
Old 2009-09-26, 5:59pm
DSDWC

Give me an afternoon and I can teach anyone to pull tightly twisted, uniform thickness cane as long as their arms will allow and multiple pulls off the same gather.
Its all about the rhythm and heat control.

Its got a good beat Dick, I think I can dance to it.

Old 2009-09-26, 7:14pm
Bigger, longer, and uncut

Mine are usually 12 to 18 inches.

I was able to watch Trey make twisties a few times during class in June. He has an incredible technique, but I would really need him to coach me through my first attempt. The gather he creates is incredible.

Trey, you could probably sell a class based solely on making twisties. I'd sign up in a second.

Old 2009-09-26, 7:32pm
Glass Lover

Mine are "arm-length" too - around 30-36" - and usually about 3-4 of those from a gather. I twist them pretty tightly and average about 2-3mm thick. Then I cut them to 8-12" lengths for storage or shipping.

Usually make up about 200pcs over a couple days time, variety of colour combos.

Arms get a bit tired after about 5 gathers worth.
Old 2009-09-26, 8:21pm
Lampworkaholic!

OK Trey, I'll give you an afternoon, just say when and where.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-09-26, 9:05pm

Darn. I'm happy if I can get 8 or 9 inches of semi-normal looking twist
(and yet, I can pull striped/vine cane just perfect to my full arm-stretch--why is that??)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-09-26, 9:06pm
And silence is golden

I did find an interesting video on Youtube with a demo on twistie cane making.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5msCznGkzNo

And here is one from Ross:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DNFA...1&feature=fvwp

Last edited by Shrimp; 2009-09-26 at 9:15pm.
Old 2009-09-26, 9:09pm
I need more boro stuff

Trey, you need to come to Oz to teach us.
At least to Sydney

Old 2009-09-26, 9:23pm

My twisties are usually very short, 6-8", because I only want to use them on one or two beads. I get bored easily.

Dawn
Old 2009-09-27, 8:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
Darn. I'm happy if I can get 8 or 9 inches of semi-normal looking twist
(and yet, I can pull striped/vine cane just perfect to my full arm-stretch--why is that??)
Me too! I was proud of myself for getting one 8 inches long! And mine are never very thick at all. I suppose being on a HH hinders me from being able to make a big enough gather to pull a really long twistie.

(this conversation could so be taken the wrong way if someone came in not knowing what we were talking about!)

Old 2009-09-27, 9:44am

Nah--it's not the hothead Cheryl--I could get a gather plenty big enough/hot enough for stringer--it's the twist part that throws me--my hands get confused doing "two things @ once--the "twist AND pull" part....if it's just PULL, i'm fine (and besides, De is doing all those murrini on her hothead )

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-09-27, 10:24am

C'mon up to the Adirondacks, Trey. I need help badly.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2009-09-27, 11:37am
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Cornette View Post
I work with large gathers and get between 2 and 3 pulls of twsted cane off each gather. My pulls average about 45 inches with a twist every 1/8th inch sometimes even tighter. I do a pull until it reaches may max length or just plain starts to hurt, cut it from the gather and then pull my next section. I usually get 3 pulls out of a gather which works out to be 10 or so feet of nice straight, even, tightly twisted cane from each gather.
Um, WOW!!!!! As if I needed another reason to want to take a class with you!

I usually get 2-3 feet from a simple 2 or 3 color twist. Double that for a more complex cased twistie cane.

How do you keep the gather warm between pulls?

Old 2009-09-27, 12:02pm

Trey can do his so great because he doesn't pull the gather out of the flame and twist until it is cooled. He has his own way of doing it and I certainly won't give too much away about it but he can keep twisting and twisting and twisting from a giant gather while working it in the flame. However, it is hard to IMO. I've seen him do it and tried it with him talking us through it and I still couldn't do it. I've tried many times to do it like Trey does but haven't been terribly successful. I wish he would make a DVD tutorial for it. A written tutorial wouldn't help but a DVD tutorial would and I bet it would be something lots of us would want. hint hint.

Last edited by Rachel; 2009-09-27 at 12:05pm.
Old 2009-09-27, 12:14pm

I'm with you Rachel. I don't know if it is a difference in the torch, or just the way I try to keep it heated or what, but I cannot get a big gather like Trey uses to stay at the right consistency for a good long pull. I can get a beautiful gather, but it starts to stiffen up on me too fast to pull it all out, and it gets all wonky if I try too much to heat it back up some. I have a torch that has a bushier flame, and am going to try on that one when I get it hooked up.

I've also had some luck just nipping off what I have pulled, and then re-puntying (is that a word?) and heating the gather again. Still shorter pieces, but just one gather, which saves some time. Plus, jeez, if I pulled a four foot piece of twistie, I would just have to cut it down to use it or store it.
Old 2009-09-27, 12:50pm

Same here Kathy, I still heat up my gathers and pull them out and twist as best I can, cut it off, punty up again and twist more. I can get 4-5 twisties that are the same diameter that way even if they are a bit shorter. I think Trey is just gifted with this and I am sure, like he said, he could teach anyone to do it with enough coaching but it is something he has mastered and as they say, that's why he makes the big bucks! LOL

I think a DVD tutorial would probably sell very well for him too if he showed off some of his impressive twisties because almost every lampworker wants to make really good twisties.

Old 2009-09-27, 1:32pm
Mr. Cellophane

You know I think it is just like stringer work...practice, practice, practice, that and the length will always depend on your gather size.
The larger your gather the longer your twisty

I think as long as your twisty meets your needs a REALLY long twisty doesn't make it any more useful when you apply it to your beads. Applying a really long twisty causes you to have less control of application, and then it just becomes a mess.
It's pretty rare for me to use a twisty any longer than 12-14 inches.

I bet all your twisties are just fine!

Libby