Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-20, 7:30am

Hi Kalera,

Can you tell me how to make mandrels? Where to get the steel? I am assuming Home Depot or Lowes. Not a question about your beautiful beads but you are such a wealth of info and I can't find any info. hmmmmm.....

Also, what size mandrels do you use and why?

I am forever bending them accidentally when removing beads and then cutting them shorter so that I can use them. I run through them so quickly. It gets expensive.

I would like to use larger than 1/16 but my customers don't like a hole any larger it seems.

Thank you O GREAT ONE!!!!

Kitty
Old 2012-08-20, 8:03am
Loving learning

In case she doesn't get back to you right away with her busy schedule, you might find this thread interesting in the meantime:
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...=make+mandrels
Old 2012-08-20, 1:31pm

Eileen....thanks so much! I don't know why that didn't come up when I searched....grrrrrr

Have a terrific evening!
Old 2012-08-20, 5:28pm
I'm a lilac!

Hi Kitty! Eileen pointed you to the Holy Grail of info on mandrel making, but I used to get my stock from the welding shop; 316 stainless steel 1/16" welding rods. Have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-05, 5:16am
ClassyGlass

Hi there,
I finally have everything set up for my studio, ventilation, dedicated electrical circuit for my kiln, fire extinguisher, etc. Now I'm looking for information about temperatures for soaking and annealing beads. I have a Paragon Bluebird Jr kiln which comes with some preprogrammed settings, but I would like a better understanding of the temperatures and times for each stage and cycle of a session. Can anyone please point me to some info links?
Old 2012-12-19, 5:42am

I need to resurrect this thread.

I purchased some Romance Blend and tried it out last night on a cab for the first time. It went in pretty, came out like baby... well you know what I mean.

I used an effrete light pink/purple color, put silver leaf on it then added the frit. I had a great color but wanted to have some depth so I encased with clear.

I was really disappointed. I run a 5 and a 10 oxy ganged with a 21 jet knight torch.

Can you please help me get some good color?

Dweezil
Old 2012-12-19, 6:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Hooray, thank you Lorraine! You're welcome! It's 2011... let this be a year of fun, experimentation, and prosperity for us all!
Wow Kalera, I just went to your web site, your work is amazing.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2012-12-22, 12:52am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

I've just got to the end of this thread, rereading it again because I scored dozens & dozens (OK, to be honest it's more like hundreds & hundreds) of Bullseye rods & I want to find out what I can do with them! So thanks Kalera (again) for all the great info! Looking forward to trying it out.

Old 2012-12-22, 10:05pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassyGlass View Post
Hi there,
I finally have everything set up for my studio, ventilation, dedicated electrical circuit for my kiln, fire extinguisher, etc. Now I'm looking for information about temperatures for soaking and annealing beads. I have a Paragon Bluebird Jr kiln which comes with some preprogrammed settings, but I would like a better understanding of the temperatures and times for each stage and cycle of a session. Can anyone please point me to some info links?
I am not as handy with links, but I found James Kervin's section on annealing in his book really really informative. Maybe someone else can post some good links for you!

Old 2012-12-22, 10:15pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweezil View Post
I need to resurrect this thread.

I purchased some Romance Blend and tried it out last night on a cab for the first time. It went in pretty, came out like baby... well you know what I mean.

I used an effrete light pink/purple color, put silver leaf on it then added the frit. I had a great color but wanted to have some depth so I encased with clear.

I was really disappointed. I run a 5 and a 10 oxy ganged with a 21 jet knight torch.

Can you please help me get some good color?

Dweezil

I've only tried encasing this blend once or twice... it does lighten significantly when encased and I personally am not crazy about it that way.

Your setup is very similar to my setup. What temp are you annealing at? Do you use R-108 (Raku) or Multicolor, and if yes, do you have problems with them washing out in annealing? If yes, your kiln might be running hot.

Another potential culprit is the base color used. I have found that it looks great on most base colors, but not so great on a few; Effetre turquoise and Uroboros Easter green come to mind. Hopefully you will find some wonderful combinations!

Old 2012-12-22, 10:15pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Wow Kalera, I just went to your web site, your work is amazing.
Bob
Thank you so much!

Old 2012-12-22, 10:16pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD View Post
I've just got to the end of this thread, rereading it again because I scored dozens & dozens (OK, to be honest it's more like hundreds & hundreds) of Bullseye rods & I want to find out what I can do with them! So thanks Kalera (again) for all the great info! Looking forward to trying it out.
Oooh, lucky lady! What a score, indeed! You're welcome, thank you, and have fun with all that new Bullseye!

Old 2012-12-23, 6:53pm

Kalera, I just found this thread. I think I've been hiding under a rock! Woman you are amazing and so giving. You are a wealth of information. I can't even remember which beads I made even when I write down what I did... lol...

You have just renewed my interest in making beads and in particular using frit.

It reminds me of why I love glass so much.... it's the community, the people and the sharing.... Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Joy for the Season..... with much love.... Leslie

Old 2012-12-24, 10:55am
I'm a lilac!

Thank you so much Leslie! Happy Holidays!

Old 2012-12-25, 12:57am

Mele Kalikimaka (Merry Christmas) Kalera,
Thank you so much for all of this info, it is so kind of you to do it!
Aloha,
Roxy
Old 2012-12-25, 3:10am
I'm a lilac!

Thank you, Roxy! Merry Christmas to you too!

Old 2012-12-26, 5:03am

Hi Kalera,

Your sharing is invaluable! When you tumble your beads, is there a way to mask areas you do not want etched? i know those who use a chemical solution talk about clear fingernail polish on areas, would that work with tumbling?

SRA #C88

Old 2012-12-26, 5:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I've only tried encasing this blend once or twice... it does lighten significantly when encased and I personally am not crazy about it that way.

Your setup is very similar to my setup. What temp are you annealing at? Do you use R-108 (Raku) or Multicolor, and if yes, do you have problems with them washing out in annealing? If yes, your kiln might be running hot.

Another potential culprit is the base color used. I have found that it looks great on most base colors, but not so great on a few; Effetre turquoise and Uroboros Easter green come to mind. Hopefully you will find some wonderful combinations!

I garage at 940 and anneal at 960. I have used both of the ones mentioned above and got similar results. I used an Effetre pink (not sure which one). I will try again without encasing. Am I too hot on the kiln?

Thank you and hope you had a great holiday.

Dweezil
Old 2012-12-26, 6:31am
Melody of Glass

Thanks so much for your generosity in this thread, Kalera!

I have a question for you: Where do you learn your glass chemistry? Are there some good sources out there? I am interested in the technical aspects but most of the info I find is far more focussed on the applied.

Happy holidays!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-12-26, 10:20am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozles View Post
Hi Kalera,

Your sharing is invaluable! When you tumble your beads, is there a way to mask areas you do not want etched? i know those who use a chemical solution talk about clear fingernail polish on areas, would that work with tumbling?
Thank you! I have not tried to mask, and I think that just about anything I tried to use would probably come off during tumbling, but I have made beads with recessed patterns, and those don't etch during the tumbling process. It can be a pretty effect.

Old 2012-12-26, 10:22am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweezil View Post
I garage at 940 and anneal at 960. I have used both of the ones mentioned above and got similar results. I used an Effetre pink (not sure which one). I will try again without encasing. Am I too hot on the kiln?

Thank you and hope you had a great holiday.

Dweezil
That temp should be just fine... hmmmm. The fact that your raku and multicolor are also coming out of the kiln without good color makes me wonder if your controller temp reading is off... is there any way you can borrow a pyrometer to check it with?

Old 2012-12-26, 10:27am
Co-owner

You are a class act. Your willingness to share your knowledge is cool. What are you going to study in school?

Robert

PHONE: (385) 237-3365
OXYGEN 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0575
LAMPWORKING 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0576
Old 2012-12-26, 10:32am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
Thanks so much for your generosity in this thread, Kalera!

I have a question for you: Where do you learn your glass chemistry? Are there some good sources out there? I am interested in the technical aspects but most of the info I find is far more focussed on the applied.

Happy holidays!
I learned most of my glass chemistry working at Bullseye, and they have an excellent simple guide free online: http://shop.bullseyeglass.com/legacy/torchtips/

While it's specific to their glass, the general chemistry information is applicable to any soft glass; they also offer detailed information about each color they make: http://www.bullseyeglass.com/product...our-glass.html

I also found this super-fun link: http://www.cmog.org/glasschemistry/ I love it!

Old 2012-12-26, 10:37am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothpayne View Post
You are a class act. Your willingness to share your knowledge is cool. What are you going to study in school?

Robert
Thank you, Robert! I'm a psychology major and I plan to apply to the neuroscience graduate program at OHSU.

Old 2012-12-26, 10:40am
I'm a lilac!

Ooh, I just found this neat table of basic glass pigments:

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/inorganic/a/aa032503a.htm

Old 2012-12-26, 11:28am
GLASS ADDICT

This thread is my new GLASS 101 book,thanks Kalera for sharing with all of us you are a very special person!!!!!!!!!
Old 2012-12-26, 3:54pm
I'm a lilac!

Thank you so much, Luis!

Old 2012-12-26, 7:08pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge Kalera! I read somewhere in this long thread about Tabacco frit. I have some but got nothing exciting out of it. Any tips?

Old 2012-12-26, 7:11pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Kalera, I do agree there's so much valuable information in this thread. It's so kind of you to take the time to share your knowledge.

Vivian

-

Old 2012-12-26, 7:38pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge Kalera! I read somewhere in this long thread about Tabacco frit. I have some but got nothing exciting out of it. Any tips?
Oh, Tobacco is one of my most used frits! Especially the Gaffer stuff! It does so many things. My favorite thing about it is probably what it does to other frits.

OK, so: By itself, Tobacco will turn gold matte metallic when kissed with an oxidizing flame. Used as a base layer, Tobacco really brings out the color of R-108. But where it really shines is in frit blends; it likes to sink into other glasses, giving them a dimensional look. It's hard to explain, but the darker lines in between the colors in the Romance frit? That's from the Tobacco. Mixed with many other frits, if you cook the bead well, the other frits will want to spread while the Tobacco wants to shrink. I love the stuff!