No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-06-15, 1:09pm
Loving learning

Default pulling murrini into points?

I've been searching & cannot find the info on this. I'm having a hard time trying to visualize it and thought I'd read about it, maybe even asked and forgotten but can't find it. Maybe somewhere else?
If anyone has it bookmarked & could share with me, I'd appreciate it.
Old 2012-06-15, 1:12pm
Tweedle Dumb

I think most of the time if they are pulled to a point, they are done while still in rod form. Heat, pull point, nip... repeat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-06-15, 1:59pm
Loving learning

Thank you, I'm trying to get this.

This is what I picture..
make the murrini rod
cool
heat the end, attach chopstick end, etc. (or grab with tweezers maybe) & pull lightly to elongate end, then nip fat end as big as wanted, is that right?
Old 2012-06-15, 2:09pm
Tweedle Dumb

That's what I would do. Yup. I'd probably use a tweezers... unless it's a honkin big cane

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-06-15, 2:25pm
Loving learning

Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow. Or maybe I'll just go out tonight & practice with a rod.
Old 2012-06-15, 3:47pm

Why.....reduce the size
Old 2012-06-15, 3:56pm
Loving learning

I'm wanting to make some pieces for fusing, like what I get when I don't pull one down so that I get to the end , have some left there. I gave some to my sis and she used them in her fusing & wants more because they came out so nice.
Old 2012-06-15, 4:01pm
I'm meeeeelting

Yes, that's it exactly, Eileen. I've seen Calvin Orr demo it that way. I think it works really well.

Larry, you leave the murrini in rod (thick stringer, really) form, bring the end to a point, heat a spot on the bead, poke the pointed end of the murrini in and then break the murrini off.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2012-06-15, 4:47pm

When I've done this, I've cut my murrini cane in half so I'm working with 2 pieces. That way I can go back and forth, alternating the canes, so the whole process goes faster.

So, with the first cane I make a point on the end, set it down, then pick up the other cane and create a point on the end of that one. By the time I set the 2nd cane down the first cane has cooled enough to be nipped, then I reheat the end and start over.

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials
Old 2012-06-15, 5:55pm
Loving learning

Thanks for the info, I'm feeling much better about doing it now.
Old 2012-06-15, 6:15pm
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMode View Post
When I've done this, I've cut my murrini cane in half so I'm working with 2 pieces. That way I can go back and forth, alternating the canes, so the whole process goes faster.

So, with the first cane I make a point on the end, set it down, then pick up the other cane and create a point on the end of that one. By the time I set the 2nd cane down the first cane has cooled enough to be nipped, then I reheat the end and start over.
Well that makes so much sense!

~

Old 2012-06-15, 10:04pm
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMode View Post

Perfect explanation! I couldn't quite visualize how this was done but now I get it. Thank you!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-06-15, 10:11pm
I speak Murrini!

Shot you a PM Eileen...I have a cheat sheet for pulling points on Murrini Rod which was an accompaniment to my Orchid Murrini Rod (https://www.etsy.com/transaction/50442332) a while back. I'll be happy to send you a copy if you'll shoot me your email address It may give you some tips (pun intended! )

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-06-15, 10:21pm
Cancer SUCKS!

I've been trying to figure this out myself. I made some flower cane and can't figure out how to put into points. How long should the murrini be etc.

Old 2012-06-16, 5:32am

The murrini I make for stamen cane I always pull to a point. Then I push it into the middle of the flower, cut off above the surface of the bead & put clear over the cut end.

If I'm making small flower cane I go one step further... Leave the cane whole & put into kiln to warm. Flash the cut end in the flame & add a clear drop to it.. Attach a clear stringer to the rounded clear end, to use as a handle. Hold by the stringer & cut off the murrini, melt the cut end & pull to a point.. Put back into the kiln to keep warm till you have made a bead.
This way you have ready made flowers already pulled to a point & a handle to hold to do the plunging into the bead.

Kerry
Old 2012-06-16, 6:02am
Run Free Sweet Boy

when I took a "rose" class we pulled a point ot taper on the end of the rose murini cane and then heated a spot on the bead, pushed the rose cane in, and nipped it off above the surface of the the bead and then added clear around the nipped bit

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-06-16, 6:44am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catts View Post
The murrini I make for stamen cane I always pull to a point. Then I push it into the middle of the flower, cut off above the surface of the bead & put clear over the cut end.

If I'm making small flower cane I go one step further... Leave the cane whole & put into kiln to warm. Flash the cut end in the flame & add a clear drop to it.. Attach a clear stringer to the rounded clear end, to use as a handle. Hold by the stringer & cut off the murrini, melt the cut end & pull to a point.. Put back into the kiln to keep warm till you have made a bead.
This way you have ready made flowers already pulled to a point & a handle to hold to do the plunging into the bead.

Kerry
I want to take a flower making class from you some day, your florals are outstanding

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-06-16, 7:44am
Loving learning

So much good information, thank you all for sharing your wealth of knowledge!
(& De, I sent you a PM back, thank you!)
Old 2012-06-16, 4:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
I want to take a flower making class from you some day, your florals are outstanding
Deb you are very kind but in reality watching me make a floral would be very boring.
I work extremely slow, trying to keep out the bubbles you know.

Kerry