Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2012-10-20, 5:37am
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Free Encasing Tutorial

Hey all, I have been meaning to do this for awhile. Dip your longer mandrels this weekend as I will be posting a free mini tutorial on how I encase for larger focals, pressed or unpressed. It is just a little tip that has helped me a lot. I will be including step by step photographs. I have two shows this weekend so I will either post this late Monday or Tuesday. I may need to rest on Monday

As we all know, ,the devil is in the details when it comes to lampworking so I hope this helps someone. It only works for middle of the mandrel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-10-20, 6:02am
Lampworkaholic!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-10-20, 5:48pm
Got Honey?

YAY! Thank you!

Old 2012-10-20, 8:33pm

Woo hoo! Thank you...

Minor
Old 2012-10-20, 11:06pm

I hope you sell lots at the shows!
ginger
Old 2012-10-21, 6:57am
Jacqueline Parkes

thanks ginger!

Old 2012-10-21, 1:51pm
No Longer an LE Member

thanks so much
Old 2012-10-21, 5:19pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Can't wait for that tutorial!!! Thanks so much!

Old 2012-10-22, 11:03am
Jacqueline Parkes

I began encasing this way for larger pressed focals and encased floral round beads out of frustration. I seemed to always end up with ends differing greatly. Encasing this way ensures both ends are evenly encased. This will take me a bit so you may want to refrain with any questions or comments until it is finished. I am posting as I am working on it.

1. Warm your mandrel in the flame and lay it in the press. This is the regular straight sided Zoozii press , 1 1/4" but of course this could be any type of bead you choose to create. This just hapens to be the type I create most of the time. It is easier to mark the mandrel with the art pencil when the mandrel is a little warm. Lay the mandrel in the press and mark slightly inside the exit holes.

I use 3/32 mandrels and bucket of mud bead release. And of course, these are 12" mandrels for middle of the mandrel dipping. I purchase my mandrels from a welding shop and cut them myself. I can get three mandrels from each rod as they are approx 36" long.

Old 2012-10-22, 11:26am
Jacqueline Parkes

2. Begin to apply your core glass touching down on the left side, slightly inside the mark you created with the pencil. My rods are around 5 - 6mm thick. Create one layer of core glass, pulling off on right side , slightly inside the other pencil mark. I am using Effetre 428 Light Red opaque for the core and encasing with CIM 859 marshmellow ( using deep opaque colors encased with marshmellow makes for really pretty base beads for decoration , flowers etc)

Old 2012-10-22, 11:29am
Jacqueline Parkes

3. Touch down again on left side and apply the second layer of glass, pulling off on right side.

Last edited by gemsinbloom; 2012-10-22 at 11:34am.
Old 2012-10-22, 11:32am
Jacqueline Parkes

4. Touch down again on left side and apply the third and final layer of core glass, pulling off on right side.

Old 2012-10-22, 11:37am
Jacqueline Parkes

5. Heat the glass to an even olive shape with pointy ends on both sides of the bead. Once it is even , keeping turning the mandrel until it is solid and cooler ( much cooler than what is in this photo as it is glowing too much and your bead could sag before applying the encasing. You want a warmish bead but solid for encasing.

Old 2012-10-22, 11:41am
Jacqueline Parkes

6. Touch down with the encasing glass to the left side of the bead , touching the black mark on the mandrel ( I missed slightly but no biggy) You just want to make sure you have completely covered up the pointy end. Continue to wind the glass ( do not pull off, I did to take the picture) overlapping slightly on each layer to fully encase the core glass. I like to use some pressure to avoid trapping air bubbles ( yupp this is all your basic encasing instructions you have probably read many times before)

Old 2012-10-22, 11:42am
Jacqueline Parkes

7. Contine to encase ending off at the middle of the bead.

Old 2012-10-22, 11:45am
Jacqueline Parkes

8. Now it is time to flip your mandrel so the unencased side is now facing your left hand. Be careful you do not swipe the mandrel ends through the flame ( I have and boy that hurts when you go to grab it again, ouch!)

Old 2012-10-22, 11:47am
Jacqueline Parkes

9. Touch down with the encasing glass to the black mark on the left side of the mandrel again and begin to encase ( imagine I did not pull the rod off again)

Old 2012-10-22, 11:48am
Jacqueline Parkes

10. Continue to encase and pull off when you reach the middle of where you ended up last.

Old 2012-10-22, 11:51am
Jacqueline Parkes

11. Heat the glass again to achieve an even olive shape with pointy ends. Allow the glass to cool slightly. Ensure the shape is balanced. If so, reheat again and press.

Old 2012-10-22, 12:03pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Pressed bead.

If you found you did not have enough glass to fully fill the cavity, just add swipes of glass to the front and back of the bead, in the middle ( avoid messing with your nice ends) and reheat and press again. I often will press three times before I have the shape I want.

Cooled down, cracked bead as it was not annealed. I will go to see if I can find a picture of a bead I made as a floral with this type of base.

I kept the instructions simple so it can benefits beginners as well. I hope this helps at least one person This is how I encase all of my beads now.

Enjoy!

Old 2012-10-22, 12:38pm
GabysGlassWorks

Thanks for this, Jacqueline! Such a great tip!

Old 2012-10-22, 1:42pm
Jacqueline Parkes

You are very welcomed Gaby

Old 2012-10-22, 2:19pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Thanks for the tips! I truly appreciate!

Old 2012-10-22, 2:28pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethCreations View Post
Thanks for the tips! I truly appreciate!
Welcome Liz! I cannot find that damn picture. If I run across the bead ( it is probably in my inventory in the van, I will take a new picture)

Old 2012-10-22, 2:30pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Thanks Jaqueline!

Old 2012-10-22, 2:31pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Welcome Sheila

Old 2012-10-22, 6:37pm
Got Honey?

Thank you so much! Very helpful

Old 2012-10-22, 6:45pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Lady View Post
Thank you so much! Very helpful
Glad to hear! Thank you for leaving me a note

Old 2012-10-23, 11:58am

Thanks Jacqueline - great instructions!
Old 2012-10-23, 12:10pm

Great and easy to follow! Thank you!