The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-07-31, 7:02pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I just got done with a marathon mandrel-cleaning-dipping session and every single time I do that I quietly thank Mary Beth Callahan- novembersfyre beads- for freeing me of the way I used to do it when I was a newbie.

How I did it then:

Draw a sink full of hot soapy water. Add mandrels. Scrub each mandrel individually with steel wool, rinse and set to dry on a towel. Repeat 500 times.

When all the mandrels are dry- roll each one across the table to make sure it is perfectly straight, then dip it carefully into the release and stand up to dry in my sand bucket.

How I do it now:
Grab all the mandrels in one hand, run them under hot water. Squirt the bundle with dishsoap and rub them all together vigourously. Rinse. Set them on a towel.

Take a handful of mandrels and stick them down into the bead release jar. Pull them out one at a time and stick them in the sand bucket. Any crooked ones get rejected at the torch.

Time saved over the past 5 years- approximately 6 months. LOL

Another thing I did as a newbie that I don't do anymore is carefully inspect, fondle and wash every single glass rod that comes in an order.

Now I just take a rod from the rubber banded bundle, stick the end of it in my quench bowl and use a towel from under my bench to wipe the rod.

Large diameter clear still gets washed...but that's it.

I am SO glad that I lightened up and quit spending so much time on stuff that didn't make a bit of difference.

So- how 'bout you?

~~Mary
Thanks, Mary! I'm glad that I've helped you with something. You've been so helpful over the years. I love all of your tutorials - both the purchased ones and the free ones!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-07-31, 8:19pm
Mary Lockwood

OH, Mary Beth, I'm so glad you checked in on this thread. I remember at the time it was over at WC in some sort of tips thread I was reading. People were talking about mandrels and you piped up and said something like, 'Really? I wash all my mandrels at once with a little soap and just rub them all together and redip them'.

It wasn't just the suggestion it was the whole attitude of your response that turned that thing around for me. I was sitting there thinking, 'What?' 'We don't have to scrub these damn things with steel wool every time we dip them?' 'Why am I making this so hard?' I knew right then and there things were gonna be different. LOL And they have been.

And I wasn't kidding about thanking you. Every time I scrub mandrels and redip them I look at all the shiny mandrels sitting in the sand bucket drying and say, 'Thank you, Mary Beth'. Over 5 years time- that was a lot of thank yous!

~~Mary

Old 2009-07-31, 9:33pm

Thanks for the suggestion to dunk all the mandrels in at once and then pull them out. 4 years later I was still dipping them one at a time until tonight - awesome!

Old 2009-08-01, 2:53am

As a newbie, I was taught to wave the rod in and out of the flame to warm it up. Then someone (I think it was one of the Italian masters on the ISGB board) said just stick the rod in the flame, pointing away from yourself & stop waving it around. Excellent advice, it's what I've been doing ever since. Saves time & seems to alleviate shocking (a little...).

As a newbie, I was also taught to turn the rod one way - phhht, that didn't even last the second lesson!

I'd been taught on Bullseye and was too scared to try Moretti as I'd been told how soupy it was. Took two years to venture into the world of Moretti. Still have my original stash of Bullseye

I used to only buy a couple of rods of each colour at a time. Now I only buy a couple of pounds of each colour at a time

As a newbie I was always rushing to get the bead made, I didn't enjoy the whole process. Now Zen beadmaking is my mantra!

There were only ever enough mandrels dipped for one or two sessions, now I dip hundreds so they last me for some time.

My mandrels are still dipped one by one. Well, only until tomorrow - thanks for that suggestion Mary!! I'll be plonking groups of mandrels in the bead release from now on. Never washed/scrubbed my mandrels, never will.

Great idea for a thread! It's been fun thinking about how my whole beadmaking process has evolved!

Marianne.
Old 2009-08-01, 7:38am

PANIC!
Old 2009-08-02, 6:38am
Cali4nia baby

Ohhhh I tried ALL the bead releases but they smell and have toxic ingredients we breath in - So now I use ONLY Bucket O MUD it is organic it is even edible ! So sorry glass burning smells and silver fumes are bad enuf I am NOT adding to it. Also getting an ultrasonic jewelry machine was genius !
Old 2009-08-03, 3:28am

Speaking of mandrels, from the first page....if you just take the beads off, then grab all the mandrels and roll them all together under running water it gets them pretty nice and clean! I do use the scrubbie sometimes because I have a tendency to let them soak in water too long and they get kinda gunky. But of course I scrub about 20 at a time.

I gotta get me some KRAG...I don't like it when the ONLY thing someone notices about my bead is that line down the middle. Ha ha! That's the first thing they ask when it's a transparent bead. It can be my best bead ever and they still ask about it.

I can't think of anything that I used to do that I don't do anymore...hmmm....maybe that's my problem! =D

Last edited by truegem; 2009-08-03 at 3:42am.
Old 2009-08-03, 4:29am
Tassie Devil

Well I used to spend a lot of money on propane for the hothead. Now I spend a lot of money on oxygen for the minor. One day I'll get an oxycon.

I used to be able to get lovely creamy white ivory beads. Now they all turn much darker. The reds all go darker too. I think I just cook the crap out of everything now.

But I can do dimple ends, and control what shape I'm trying to make.

Today, right now, is a gift - that's why they call it the present!

Old 2009-08-03, 6:36am
Creative Spirit

I don't BURN myself anymore!!! LOL and like Mary I BREATH! it really make a difference! LOL

Peace Wendy
Old 2009-08-03, 6:39am
Creative Spirit

Oh ya forgot this one! I use to clean "each" mandrel "THOUSANDS"!!!!! one by one with peroxide!!!! Holy crap I had ALOT of time on my hands way back then! hehe.

Peace Wendy
Old 2009-08-03, 9:24am
old person/new member

I love the hint of putting a whole whack of mandrels in the release at once! Thank you for that!
I'm still a relative newbie- under two years...I just got a minor torch and am scared to death of it. Each time I light it I think its going to blow up. *sigh*-- I felt that way about the hot head for about 5 months too...not scared of it anymore so I guess there is hope.

Thanks for this thread its great!

Old 2009-08-03, 9:47am

I never clean my mandrels. After the bead is taken off, one swipe of a rag and back into the release it goes.

I think the most important thing I do now that I didn't do as a newbie, is work SLOWER and don't wave and spin my bead in the flame like a mad dog. Slow movements, work cooler, and take your time. I think there is something about the fire that makes people feel the need to hurry up.

Old 2009-08-04, 7:36am

I stick tools in the flame less... A nice visit over with the Boogers, Jim comes running in the studio with a "What's that smell? My graphite marver...." Somehow I missed that part of my first class that tools should be used out of the flame.

I'm way better with insurance heat... Lost quite a few fish while learning... And spot heating instead of soupy-heating the whole bead, too, it helps for my sculptural details.

And finally switching to a Minor, and Brian redoing my ventilation so it's quieter... I can listen to music on speakers instead of headphones, it's glorious.

Oh... and when I was a newbie, I was torching on my kitchen table. Now, since we moved a few years back and Brian made it a main priority, I have a studio. Love. It.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-08-04, 11:16am

I now give my body a rest. As a newbie I would work at the torch non-stop, no breaks. Now, every hour/hour and a half, I get up, stretch, check on pets and family, then back to the torch. My body is in less pain when I finally turn the torch off.

I have never used soap or substance on a mandrel before dipping. But I now use sandpaper on each mandrel before dipping in fusion. Sandpaper + Fusion = rare, rare, rare release breakage.

Last edited by bousky; 2009-08-04 at 11:21am.
Old 2009-08-04, 12:45pm
I fart diamonds

I used to:

Make 1 bead per mandrel. (Al that wasted space!!)
Buy every fancy new glass that came out. (Pffft! I'm so over that!)
Buy every fancy new tool that came out. (Pffft! I'm so over that!)
Buy every fancy new torch that... Wait. I still do that...

Old 2009-08-04, 5:32pm
Surrounded by Trouble

What a cool thread!
I can so relate to so many of the things "I used to do" that others have posted.

Breath and relax when torching, as there isn't any race happening that you will win if you finish first.

I no longer buy glass a rod at a time, and no longer buy every new color produced. When I first started there was only Moretti in 104, but it took years for me to not buy every new color when they were added.
I no longer use full rods to make dots and designs and I no longer buy premade stringers expect clear and intense black.

I no longer make tiny beads, all my first beads were so small.

I am not afraid to venture out of my comfort zone and try completely off the wall things in glass. Sometimes they actually work, but most the time it gives me a new idea or direction.

I no longer try and insert strange things in glass....well wait a second I still do that sometimes but I have a much better idea of what will work and what will turn into a nice crispy piece of toast.

I know when to call it a night and try again tomorrow. I also know when I don't feel like torching is sometimes the best time to try out new things, I just don't expect anything to make it to the kiln.

I no longer use rubber bands.
My work space has increase 100 fold and so has the mess on my table.

I still dip my mandrels one at a time, but I like long dipped mandrels so I can make more than one bead on a mandrel.
I still save stringers but have no idea why as I pull new ones each time I torch.
I still collect COE's, yet have not touched anything but boro in over a year.
I still have shorts all over the place, yet I try and find good homes for them.
I still hold my breath from time to time, like when putting pupils on the eyes of critters.
I still like to share.

Old 2009-08-05, 2:05am

Default kitty proof

One thing I learned to do early, not long after I started, was to keep a lid on my bin of Vermiculite, after one of my brown Burmese babies, Oscar, secretly dropped a depth charge in it for me, thinking it was his new studio ensuite bathroom.
Finding THAT with a hot bead, Oooh errr! YUK!

KMD
Old 2009-08-05, 2:50am
Who me?

When making focals, I used to put my initial glass on the mandrel by making a bundh of donut beads side by sice and touching (my strawberry tutorial does it this way) - no I just wrap on as the glass melts in the flame.
Old 2009-08-05, 5:15am

As a complete noob, I want to thank each and every one of you for the tips and knowledge you have shared here. This is one of the best "learning" threads I have found. Much of the information presented will save me a lot of time and frustration. Thanks again and keep up the good postings...

...Smithy
Old 2009-08-05, 6:50am
Mary Lockwood

I thought of another one this morning because I caught myself trying to do it!

When I first started I always let my glasses slide to the tip of my nose so I could peek over them. I spent more time working glass without eye protection than with it...even though I was wearing the glasses!

I knew I was not being kind to my eyes and opening myself up to all kinds of injuries but I just couldn't stop. Eventually I had to buy an eyeglass cord that tightens at the back of my head so I couldn't peek over the glasses anymore. It about killed me and I still 'try' to peek. I have no will power.

But by golly I can't peek. I can't take credit and say I 'quit' peeking because truth be told I'd still peek if it weren't for the cord. LOL

~~Mary

Old 2009-08-05, 6:58am
I fart diamonds

I didn't peek in the beginning, but now I do. In fact, I have small glasses that facilitate my peeking and I get irritated when I wear big glasses and can't peek!

Old 2009-08-05, 7:02am
Mary Lockwood

I'm seriously irritated about not-peeking too. LOL And the occasional peek isn't a big deal, but I was spending way too much time with nothing between my eyes and the glowing glass.

You know how when someone shines a light in your eyes in a dark room you see little red flashes in your field of vision for a few seconds? Well I was starting to see a glowing round area in my field of vision all the time. I think I had imprinted the glow of a spinning bead into my retina. LOL

It went away when I strapped my glasses to my head.

~~Mary

Old 2009-08-05, 7:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmd View Post
One thing I learned to do early, not long after I started, was to keep a lid on my bin of Vermiculite, after one of my brown Burmese babies, Oscar, secretly dropped a depth charge in it for me, thinking it was his new studio ensuite bathroom.
Finding THAT with a hot bead, Oooh errr! YUK!

KMD
That is TOO funny!!

I had to learn to keep my studio floor scrupulously free of random bits of glass - my dogs loved to come hang out with me. And not try marbles or play with shocky glass when they were out there.

Took me a long time to figure out how to lay the glass down more evenly so that I didn't have to spend so much time trying to round things out and get my bead centered. Also took me a while to figure out how to keep the center of my bead cool and just heat the surface so that the glass would flow over the solid core and give me nicely dimpled beads instead of sharp pokey-ended beads. Then Jim Smirich released a truly wonderful video, the first in what's now a series, in which he shows how to use heat control, only, to make beautifully dimpled ends, among many other great techniques. My skills took a huge step up after watching it (over and over and over!)

Linda
Old 2009-08-05, 6:06pm
~ toes in the sand.

Vista on crack.... (duplicate post)

Last edited by Juls; 2009-08-05 at 6:19pm. Reason: duplicate post
Old 2009-08-05, 6:08pm
~ toes in the sand.

I no longer try to shape the ends of bicones/long beads/ovals/etc by pushing the ends of the glass 'up' toward the center. A nice even pressure and consistent roll from the center down to each side creates a clean even edge.

Hand held shaping tools are the best work buddies.

Now when I become frustrated with a glass I don't understand, I shelve it until it is the first one that speaks when I enter the studio.

Mushing molten dots one to another on a warm bead was my encasing eureka moment~ no bubbles or design distortion like with wrap encasing.

I no longer do custom orders or multiple sets to 'pay the bills'. While it is exciting and affirming to know you can sell a certain set/style, it buries creativity. (Not. Worth. It.)

I am open to the possibilities of a bead gone wrong.

The only things I listen to while torching are my thoughts.

Old 2009-08-06, 5:57am
Flamewoman

I would say the main thing I don't do anymore is soft glass. I started with soft glass, then got hooked on boro. Everytime I have gotten out my soft glass for a torch session in the last year or so, all I do is cuss. I sure do not miss all that shocking and popping. Boro rules, and it sells better for me than soft glass. I love just putting that rod into the flame without fear. Also, I mainly make pendants off mandrel, so when they are done, they're done, no nasty bead poop to clean up, and no mandrels to wash. Yeah!

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2009-08-06, 8:04am

Did anyone else use to work with just a dim light on 'behind' you? It helped me see the flame better so I could understand the different parts of it by sight, till I knew it by feel.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-08-06, 2:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
Did anyone else use to work with just a dim light on 'behind' you? It helped me see the flame better so I could understand the different parts of it by sight, till I knew it by feel.
um....does still doing that 50% of the time (in other words, if I'm torching @ home ) make me "still a newbie"?

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-08-07, 4:23am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I'm seriously irritated about not-peeking too. LOL And the occasional peek isn't a big deal, but I was spending way too much time with nothing between my eyes and the glowing glass.

You know how when someone shines a light in your eyes in a dark room you see little red flashes in your field of vision for a few seconds? Well I was starting to see a glowing round area in my field of vision all the time. I think I had imprinted the glow of a spinning bead into my retina. LOL

It went away when I strapped my glasses to my head.

~~Mary
i dont know if its just me but i find my eyes adjust to the lens colour after a while and i dont need to peek - my problem is that i need to wear glasses so i have to wear my diddys over the top and the whole contraption is HEAVY so it tends to slide down my nose

i think i need to invest in a shield...

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-08-07, 10:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
my problem is that i need to wear glasses so i have to wear my diddys over the top and the whole contraption is HEAVY so it tends to slide down my nose
I have the same problem. But I also use a magnifier that sits on my head and flips down. This holds the glasses in place.