Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-11-18, 9:49am

Default Making off mandrel spacer beads

I am in need of instruction as to how to make off mandrel spacer beads in boro. I have tried unsuccessfully. I want to make similar sized transparent spacers for necklaces and don't want bead release in the hole. Would like the pretty silk cord to show through the bead. Anyone know of a tutorial for this or can someone walk me through it. A simple technique for most people, I know. But I am not most people.
Old 2009-11-18, 11:09am
Megan's personal Sherpa

I suppose I would try melting a round gather on my rod and maybe start thinning the rod at the bottom by melting it and then stretching the gather away with hot fingers or gravity so it's easier to get a clean seperation after you're done, flatten it slightly into a disc, punty up, melt off the rod and melt the point smooth, then use my Peter's Tweezers (or Handy Andys if you have them) and make a hole in the center, then a tungsten pick to enlarge it as desired. Now just remove the punty and carefully smooth out the mark........without getting the hole mis-shapen! Does that make sense?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Deb
Old 2009-11-18, 12:41pm
Serenity Now!

Wow - sounds like an awful lot of effort for a spacer bead! Why not just - uhhhm - clean the bead hole?

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2009-11-18, 2:05pm

You can try "fire polishing" the hole, AFTER you've cleaned the release out. But it's a hassle. I have to really like the bead to go through the effort.

Vanessa
Old 2009-11-18, 2:21pm
I fart diamonds

Clean out the hole with a dremel then coat it with Future (floor polish/wax). The cord will show through.

Old 2009-11-18, 2:27pm
Happy Beadmaker!

I hate to even bring this up but it is pertinent to some degree (I guess).

The disgustinglyeverpopularwishtheywouldgoaway Unicorne drop beads that started out that particular genre, are tiny off-mandrel boro beads. Now I'm guessing the reason they do that is, once you get the hang of it and can make hundreds of them at a sitting (especially with boro), you get a bead that can be sold as cheaply at Unicorne does. When it's done, it's done, no cleaning involved. No mandrel dipping. Etc. etc. etc. I guess one would have to be shown their method, but I know I'm not coordinated enough to do it.

Just saying...
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2009-11-18, 2:27pm

Nice idea Shawnette. I was going to suggest clear fingernail polish. Built in brush....

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-11-18, 2:29pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
Nice idea Shawnette. I was going to suggest clear fingernail polish. Built in brush....

-Donna
Nail polish isn't as durable but it works, also.

Old 2009-11-18, 4:56pm
Senior Moment

What's a unicorn bead?

Old 2009-11-18, 5:06pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysa View Post
What's a unicorn bead?
That's what I was wondering too ... but didn't dare to ask!

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-11-18, 5:14pm
Happy Beadmaker!

It isn't a unicorn bead -- they are mass-produced boro beads by a company named Unicorne. The first year they were in business, they were right next to me in Tucson, selling the boro drops fifty (50) beads for $15!!!!!!!! The bead stores couldn't scoop them up fast enough. They now have reps selling at alllllllll shows (local/regional/even the national shows like BABE and B&B, etc.)

HTH,
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2009-11-18, 6:03pm
Harold Williams Cooney

tungsten pick. all you need.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2009-11-19, 11:30am

Thanks everyone for the info. I have not worked with boro very much (as you probably surmised) and did not know that the bead release doesn't really stick as much to boro, as opposed to soft glass - especially if you are using "Bucket of Sludge" release that dries on the mandrel really smooth. Yesterday, a flameworker friend showed me the technique with the tungsten pick. Thanks again.
Old 2010-10-02, 10:58pm

Just out of curiosity, is it possible for anyone to find out the tungsten pick trick? I am dying to know. Completely failed on my own.