Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-05-31, 3:03pm
da General

Zephyr is nothing like Reichenbach 104 Clear at all - I don't use Reich Clear for it's way too stiff for how I use my clear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2011-05-31, 3:09pm
Nikki Haverstock

I got a rod to use in a class I took a month ago. I sure loved it. I have had real issues encasing with clear but did a darn fine job in class. We encased silver glass and the beads came out very lovely.
Old 2011-05-31, 3:41pm
Born Facing Left

I'm deeply unhappy that Canada Post is likely going on strike tomorrow, and thus I won't be able to receive and test my glass before the deadline. Thanks, Canada Post. Thanks a lot.

Jed and Julie, I know that I'll miss the June 6th deadline, but if you like, I'll still send you an email with my thoughts on this glass, I really can't wait to try it!

Old 2011-05-31, 7:05pm
Rose colored glasses…√

These are all Kalypso, encased with Aether or Zephyr, dotted with Triton, topped with Aether or Zephyr. The more burgundy and gold hued beads are Aether; the more fuschia and purple are Zephyr. The more goldish greenish dots of Triton are Aether; the more blue dots are Zephyr.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-05-31, 7:38pm

I loved, loved, loved it!! Oh so clear and nice and melty. I'm a huge fan and can hardly wait until we can buy it on a regular basis!

Old 2011-05-31, 7:42pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I tried mine today and it was wonderful! I made a bead with silver foil and the center and raised murrini and it stayed nice and silver and was soft enough to work well for the blob method of encasing. I'll have more time to try it again tomorrow.

By the way, where are all of you finding batch numbers. There isn't one on my invoice and my Zephyr was wrapped in brown paper but it isn't tagged.

Old 2011-05-31, 7:52pm

I had batch 5-18-11-9 and had this scratch/bubble issues in many of my rods (so unlike DH, even there seconds). I THINK it is a bubble line in the glass, but it hard to tell as it is REALLY close to the surface and acts a lot like others rods that have scratches. Sorry Jed and Julie, not super helpful.

I did get a bit of green with my encased silver glasses (forgot to mention it on the survey). It is just occationally but have seen it with Echo and trion. Not a lot, just a smidge here and there.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-05-31, 9:11pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
I tried mine today and it was wonderful! I made a bead with silver foil and the center and raised murrini and it stayed nice and silver and was soft enough to work well for the blob method of encasing. I'll have more time to try it again tomorrow.

By the way, where are all of you finding batch numbers. There isn't one on my invoice and my Zephyr was wrapped in brown paper but it isn't tagged.
My brown paper had a sticker label on it with the batch number.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-05-31, 9:50pm

My batch was 5.11.11-3 after 5 rods I had no scratches, no scum, no bubbles, no reaction to the silver glass I used Triton, Pysche, Original Terra and Clio. My beads were crystal clear. Melted really easy ( I normally use Reichenbach) Very pleased!!
Old 2011-05-31, 10:03pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
My brown paper had a sticker label on it with the batch number.
Thanks, Lori! I need to go look at the label more carefully - I guess I was in a hurry to open it!

Old 2011-05-31, 11:11pm
Astro Cat

I've used a few rods so far. I noticed some scratches on the rods, but they don't scum up like other rods I've had that do. I believe I did get a few bubbles - not objectionable to me so far. I don't have that much time to do testing. I made a triton bead that retained a blue shine under encasement. I made a clio bead that has some interesting colors to it, but I know that bead had a bit too much reduction on it. I don't think it was necessarily a reaction with the clear. I made another clio bead with electra frit on it - I think I overheated that bead because no reduction was retained. The bead is that beautiful raspberry color. Hopefully I'll have a chance to 'play' with the Zephyr more before the surveys are due. It would be nice to have a little extra time to provide better feedback.
my Scorpion!
Old 2011-05-31, 11:14pm
Astro Cat

oops, forgot to mention that i like the way the Zephyr glass melts and so far after heating and re-heating these 2 rods of glass they didn't 'explode' due to thermal shock. I don't know if that is common or if I just have been more careful lately re-introducing the glass to the flame... So far I give the glass a thumbs up, and I would buy it again. I do hope though that they keep the Aether!
my Scorpion!
Old 2011-06-01, 7:52am
needs creative tagline

I've got batch 5.11.11-1, used about 4 or 5 rods so far.
I swear I could not see any bubbles or scratches in the rod, but I am getting some tiny bubbles in the beads. Examples below. Not the big bubbles such as around the murrini, those are my fault. But the little tiny ones out front of the fish and on the coral, and in the crystals. I don't think I caused those.
I also noticed some yellow/green over silver glass, but not nearly as much as with aether.
Overall I thought it was super soft and easy to use. Tried to cook it to death on a couple other beads and couldn't get it to boil or scum at all. Loved that the rods didn't shock at all.
The tiny bubbles are a bit of a nuisance but wouldn't stop me from using it - still better than most of the other 104 clears...

laura

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2011-06-01, 7:54am
needs creative tagline

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
after heating and re-heating these 2 rods of glass they didn't 'explode' due to thermal shock. I don't know if that is common or if I just have been more careful lately re-introducing the glass to the flame...
I tried on purpose to introduce a couple rods "non-carefully" and got no shocking at all. Love that!

laura

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2011-06-01, 9:40am
novembersfyre everywhere

I finally found my batch number sticker - it was stuck to the top of my invoice.

I have batch 5.11.11-3. My rods are thin and have no scratches or bubbles. I had time to make two medium size beads yesterday.

One bead has a core of silver foil over the clear, was rolled in frit, and decorated with murrini. I used the blob encasing method so that the deeper murrini would stay dimensional. I was able to do this successfully. I slightly smeared one murrini but that was operator error and I have a few small bubbles but no trails or large clusters of bubbles.

I must say I was totally amazed when I pulled this bead from the kiln! The clarity of this glass is awesome! The silver is silver all up and down the core. It doesn't show any flashes or highlights of gold in natural or artificial light. It is always so disappointing to think that you have managed to keep a silver foil bead silver then you see those ugly yellow-gold flashes when you take it out into natural light. I pronounce this bead a success!

The other bead has a core of CIM sapphire. It has several brass gears and goldstone stringer embedded in it. The clear glass seems to enhance and amplify the blue color of the core. The brass gears look incredibly shiny. I do have a few surface dimples on this bead which are caused from the gases that are produced from the brass. I normally go around and fix all of these and I can't tell where I did - there are no addition lines. The few that are left are there because the bead release broke and I couldn't finish covering the bubbles. I love the way the clear worked on this bead also.

In summary this clear is clear. It keeps silver silver. It is soft enough to case murrini so that it stays 3-D. It is a bit more stiff than Aether but not by too much. I'll be buying more!

I still need to do some testing with silver glass today before I fill out my survey.

I'll post some pictures later if I get a chance to take some.

Old 2011-06-01, 1:03pm
Master Procrastinator

Would love to see those pics Mary Beth. The beads sound yummy!

My batch was 5.14 11-6. I had a chance to play a bit yesterday. Not sure I'll have another chance to before the deadline for the survey so I filled it out based on my findings so far.

I made 2 BHB's with clio as a base. The one encased in aether had a slight greenish cast to it as opposed to the zephyr, but barely any difference.

I made 2 focals with clio, frit & murrini. They had clear bases & then clear encasing with both aether & zephyr. The clio in the aether bead had more of a reddish color to it while in the one encased with zephyr was almost fuschia.

I also made 2 focals with triton over clear & then clear encased. The color difference was most obvious in this one. The one with aether looked greenish while the zephyr was definitely a clearer blue. The bead release broke on this one so I put it in the kiln quickly before it could break off totally. It has a smudge mark from where it touched the bottom. Oh well, not the best beads I made but it definitely showed the difference in the 2 clears.

I did find the zephyr a bit shocky at first. & it melted much more smoothly than aether, but it was also a thinner rod. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. It also wasn't as stiff as the aether. I much prefer the zephyr all in all.

Old 2011-06-01, 1:25pm

I'll sure be glad when I can buy some to try it.
Old 2011-06-01, 1:36pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
It also wasn't as stiff as the aether. I much prefer the zephyr all in all.
How odd. I thought the Aether was meltier than the Zephyr.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-06-01, 2:02pm
Born Facing Left

Mine showed up today...JOY!!

Old 2011-06-01, 2:20pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
How odd. I thought the Aether was meltier than the Zephyr.
Me too! I'm thinking that there is a viscosity difference between the batches that's why some think it is stiffer than Aether (like me) and some think that it is softer than Aether (like Lea).

Old 2011-06-01, 2:23pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
You must try it with one of your beads with the wire inclusions! Your tutorial helped me understand how to larger metal inclusions into beads and gave me the push I needed to add watch gears to my beads. This clear keeps the metal bits bright and shiny!

Old 2011-06-01, 2:32pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Rudd View Post
My batch was 5.11.11-3 after 5 rods I had no scratches, no scum, no bubbles, no reaction to the silver glass I used Triton, Pysche, Original Terra and Clio. My beads were crystal clear. Melted really easy ( I normally use Reichenbach) Very pleased!!
That's the same batch I have, and my initial impression was that it was somewehere between Effetre Super Clear and Reichenbach in stiffness. I only made two beads and need to play with it more to be sure.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-06-01, 2:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
I was worried about Canada post as well but mine arrived today too! Initial test beads a in the kiln. Hopefully a few more will arrive there tonight (if the kiln fairies behave).

No scratches, no air lines, no shocking, no scumming, no boiling, no bubbling... So lovely and lusciously meltable.... I am officially in love.
Old 2011-06-01, 3:11pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I used the Zephyr a lot yesterday and found that I am completely smitten. It's wonderful. My favorite part is that you can pull stringers with it and there is no scumming when you use them, just like Aether.

Here it is with Clio:

cliofeathers1 by loribeads, on Flickr

Just a tiny encased floral, magnified to superhuman proportions.

floral by loribeads, on Flickr

Here it is over psyche? with bands of Aether alternating with bands of Zephyr.

1aandz by loribeads, on Flickr

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-06-01, 3:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn >^..^< View Post
I have batch 5.14.11-5
I have this batch! Mine had no bubbles or airlines and was a dream to work with. It melts easily and was wonderful for encasing! I have already used up 5 rods! I also made some beads with just the Zephyr and they are beautiful! Nice and clear and sparkly!

Old 2011-06-01, 3:42pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Lori - those are just gorgeous!

Old 2011-06-01, 5:08pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Thank you so much Mary Beth!

*f

Old 2011-06-01, 5:18pm

I think what Jed said at the retreat (please correct me if I'm wrong Jed or Julie) was that the zephyr is softer at lower temp and gets stiffer and higher. Sounded weird to me, but Jed knows what he is saying. So, some people are finding it softer than Aether and some stiffer.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-06-01, 6:18pm
dances with ideas...

I can't remember which direction it went, but Jed said that Zephyr and Aether have different viscosity profiles (or something like that, might not be the right term). So one of them is stiffer when worked cooler and softer at higher working temps. And the other is the opposite--softer at lower working temps and stiffer at higher ones.

Old 2011-06-01, 6:20pm
Against the Grain

Those are great Lori! I especially love the beads in the first photo.