No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-12-16, 11:44am
In the line of fire

Default Tightening Beadable Objects

Frustration has visited me! I spend so much time on getting a perfect fit on beadable items (wine stoppers, pens, letter openers, etc.). After everything is screwed in place, there is still a tendency for them to become loose. I don't use the o-rings because I can't hide them, but I'm sure they would add some security. I'm thinking some type of flexible glue...
What do you do? This is an on-going issue for me and I would love some advice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-12-17, 2:34am
FireBeads

I've used the O rings. I try to make them part of the design and it works fairly well. They make them in different colors too. I like them because there is less friction between the glass beads and glass and metal. Just act like they belong there!

Try gluing on the end piece so they don't come loose and fall off.
Old 2011-12-17, 6:52am

I use loctite (spelling) to keep everything in place. It works very well! Try it.

Old 2011-12-17, 7:32am
Glass-aholic

Try a dab of Elmer's. Its not permanent, so you can change it later, but it will keep things from moving. If you want something more permanent I would go with loctite, or 2 part epoxy. It may even be as easy as putting thread tape on the thread part so it does not move. (and its only like .59 at the hardware store)

TIP: If you really are not looking for these to be interchangeable, think about chopping a tiny bit of the mandrel off from top or bottom then gluing them in permanently. This will save you some hassle on the exact size and you wont need bumpers. You can also use a dab of e6000 as a bumper at the top and bottom instead of the little o rings. its easy enough to get a tiny bit e6000 under the lip of the metal and not be seen. You can either put your bead on before it dries or when still tacky. Your choice, depending on changeability.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-12-17, 8:27am
Crispy Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindag View Post
I've used the O rings. I try to make them part of the design and it works fairly well. They make them in different colors too. I like them because there is less friction between the glass beads and glass and metal. Just act like they belong there!
I like the O rings, too. I've been using the 2mm rings, but have only been able to find them in black. Do you mind telling me what size you use and where you buy them?

Old 2011-12-17, 8:46am
In the line of fire

These are all helpful hints, thank you. I didn't know if loctite was the appropriate glue but that's the one I thought of using. Why is it preferable to others?
I'd also like to know the other color and size options for the o-rings. The ones I've had are rubber and I am afraid they will become either dry and cracked or sticky over time. Do they make them in silicone?

Old 2011-12-17, 9:28am
In the line of fire

I just asked DH, Amnon if we had any loctite (since he seems to have every type of tool, material and chemical known!). He came back with a grubby bottle covered in grime and I could just make out the words "Anaerobic Adhesive/Sealant". I Googled the term and now know more about these adhesives than I care to.... Turns out that the term loctite is used for these types of adhesives (for bonding metals mainly) but that many companies make it (3M, etc.) - Loctite just happened to be the first. Its like asking for a Kleenex when you just want a tissue. It also comes in different strengths - who knew?

Here's one of the less boring links: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666--

Old 2011-12-18, 12:10am
FireBeads

I got them at Fire Mountain Gems, here's the exact page: http://www.firemountaingems.com/sear...ywords=o+rings
They have all different sizes and colors. If I knew where mine were, I'd send you some to try them out but I haven't seen them since we moved in May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdd View Post
I like the O rings, too. I've been using the 2mm rings, but have only been able to find them in black. Do you mind telling me what size you use and where you buy them?
Old 2011-12-18, 11:32am
Crispy Critter

Thanks, Linda! I found some at Unkamen Supplies on Etsy. He has the same rings and also sells mixed packs of colors.

Old 2011-12-20, 2:43pm

I often use super glue too. I have a bottle that has a brush- works great for getting into the little holes. (ran out of the red locktite... ) Haven't had anyone complain yet