Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-12-07, 7:13am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Default Pyrex is not always borosilicate

I just got my January 2011 issue of Consumer Reports magazine. On pg 44 is an article "Glass bakeware that shatters". Very very interesting! Without copying word-for-word, it says that American-made Pyrex is soda lime glass. It used to be boro, but boro is more expensive to make. On the other hand, European bakeware dishes are still made from boro.

The article gives a history of Pyrex, talks of a new formula, and on-and-on. If you are really into this topic, IMHO this issue is a must.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-07, 7:35am
Glassmangler

After I destroyed my third "Pyrex" glass measuring bowl a few years ago, I was moved to research this. It sucks that they've completely devalued a great brand out of cheapness.
Old 2010-12-07, 11:04am
Bliss Junkie

the "pyrex" brand was sold, and is used for a brand name now only... saw this last year or the year before, a lot of negative comments on the brand... people would use a baking dish to bring in food from the grill, and have the dish explode on them sitting on the table... i think the company should be sued for false advertising...

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2010-12-07, 12:05pm
Borovangelist

I heard this a while back, it's a shame what those idiots did to the good name.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 2010-12-07, 12:21pm

Someone here posted an article a few months back. The change was made in 1941 or some such long ago time. (Heck, I wasn't even born!)
Old 2010-12-07, 12:30pm

They haven't changed the formula in over 60 years. At least that is what they say. It was also stated that most shattering is cause by thermal shock - sitting a hot out of the oven container on top of a wet granite counter, pouring liquid into a hot in the oven container, running cold water into a hot container. We al know this, no shock there. I had one shatter once when I dropped it on the terazzo floor.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog

Last edited by pam; 2010-12-07 at 12:33pm.
Old 2010-12-07, 1:38pm
Nikki Haverstock

They talked about this on the Morning news.
Old 2010-12-07, 3:04pm

So I guess saying "made out of Pyrex" isn't a good description when telling a layman about a bead. Is "scientific glass" a better term? Are beakers and flasks still made of the harder glass?

Vanessa
Old 2010-12-07, 4:05pm
Glassmangler

"Borosilicate glass" would be the correct term.
Old 2010-12-07, 4:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterGlass View Post
"Borosilicate glass" would be the correct term.
Oh yes, I always used the correct term, but when I'm met with a blank stare, I have to "dummy it down" into terms they understand. When I've said "Pyrex", their eyes light up and then they say "Ooooooooooooh".

I'm concerned with the brand "Pyrex" using soda-lime, that saying "Pyrex" would be misleading (even if we are using true Pyrex (boro)).

Vanessa
Old 2010-12-07, 7:09pm

I say "Made out of the same glass as labware"

Old 2010-12-07, 8:38pm
I'm a lilac!

In the last few years I've heard many, many more stories of Pyrex kitchenware spontaneously exploding under normal use conditions, and finally got rid of all of my Pyrex after it happened to me. I wasn't hurt, fortunately.

Perhaps they've been making it out of soft glass for 60 years, but something's changed.

Old 2010-12-08, 1:13am
Glassy Broad :-)

I just tell folks it's the "Old Pyrex" that they might remember from their childhood and that Pyrex made all lab glass...that gets them to aha'ing
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-12-08, 6:44am
Borovangelist

I'm more specific when I tell them, "Pyrex, like your trusty measuring cup" Those are usually fairly heat resistant.

I like the lab ware response.

|
|
Old 2010-12-08, 8:14am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I just reread the Consumer article to address some of the points mentioned above. It seems like the major players are/were Corning, World Kitchen, Anchor Hocking and ARC International (French company that bought European rights from Corning in 1994). It also seems like each person you ask, no matter what company they are from, gives a different, partial answer to each question, if they answer it at all. Like politicians!

So I will continue to refer to my glass as 'boro' or 'borosilicate'. If anyone questions that I'll say that 'it's the strong glass, as opposed to soda-lime glass, which is the weak glass that they make exploding bakeware out of'. (No offense meant to the high COE glass workers.)

Last edited by gmkcpa; 2010-12-08 at 8:19am.
Old 2010-12-08, 1:52pm
I'm a lilac!

I hope you're joking. Boro is not "stronger" than soft glass, it's harder and more resistant to thermal shock. It's also more brittle and prone to breaking when dropped.

Giving people the impression that soft glass art might explode isn't going to help anyone who does glasswork.

Old 2010-12-08, 1:54pm
I'm a lilac!

I also find that either people are already aware of the difference between borosilicate and soda lime glass, or they don't really care. And why should they? They aren't going to cook with marbles.

Old 2010-12-09, 6:29am
Glassmangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Giving people the impression that soft glass art might explode isn't going to help anyone who does glasswork.
I think we're talking about cookware, in which case, yes, it will explode.
Old 2010-12-09, 8:46am
Pyromaniac

I was under the impression that glass cookware was made from tempered glass? Tempered glass has improved strength and thermal properties, as well as the property of breaking into small bits rather than giant shards.

Prince Rupert's drops, anyone?

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-12-09, 8:48am
Borovangelist

as someone who's had a pyrex casserole dish explode on the stove...no, it's not tempered.

|
|
Old 2010-12-09, 11:18am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterGlass View Post
I think we're talking about cookware, in which case, yes, it will explode.
I said "art".

I was replying to gmkcpa's statement that
Quote:
I will continue to refer to my glass as 'boro' or 'borosilicate'. If anyone questions that I'll say that 'it's the strong glass, as opposed to soda-lime glass, which is the weak glass that they make exploding bakeware out of
I don't think comparing soft-glass art to exploding bakeware is a very good idea. For anyone. It'll just scare people who don't understand the mechanics of it all away from buying art glass.

Old 2010-12-09, 11:20am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
as someone who's had a pyrex casserole dish explode on the stove...no, it's not tempered.
It's not tempered, and I don't think it's even annealed properly anymore, or perhaps the glass they're using now is inherently unstable. I'll never have another piece of Pyrex in my kitchen unless it says "borosilicate" on the bottom.

Old 2010-12-09, 11:33am
I'm a lilac!

After hearing about exploding Pyrex in the last few years, I had two friends experience it within the same week. Not innocuous shattering... violent explosions. One was cut on his face and he wasn't even standing near the dish. It wasn't on the stove and fortunately it wasn't hot. This is a recent problem.

I will say that I wouldn't use the word "Pyrex" anywhere near any of my glasswork in a customer's hearing. I just wouldn't want any association at all with exploding glass, because I'd worry that connection would turn buyers off of glass artwork altogether, out of caution.

Here is an old but interesting article: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...rex_panic.html

Follow-ups: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0.../08/pyrex.html
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/pyrex.html

Pyrex, of course, has a HUGE counter-campaign trying to "debunk" these "rumors". I might even have believed them, until the number of people I know personally who have experienced exploding Pyrex increased beyond plausible deniability. Also, I have noted how newer Pyrex pieces I had were "flaking" long, pointed shards of glass in a way that cannot be accounted for by normal use.

Last edited by Kalera; 2010-12-09 at 11:35am.
Old 2010-12-09, 10:43pm

corning sold the name "pyrex"...pyrex brand cookware is not borosilcate.