LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-06, 5:52pm
Naysayer

Default Etching Trouble, It devits and is Shiney?

Ok not a newb to etching but I've never run across this before.

I got an order for raku etched beads. I know raku sometimes doesn't etch well but I've never had an issue.

This is really weird though and want to know if anyone ran across this before. I use etchall dip 'n etch, I poured the solution in a container and it had 'crystals', so I added some broken beads and shook the crap out of it...still there so I just put the beads in.
Ok so they come out and parts aren't etched, it's shiney but sort of matte (if that makes sense? not shiney like it orginally was but yeah shiney lol).
I put them back in and the etch bath wouldn't come off parts well at all, I had to rub it off with a toothbrush? And once it did and I dried them I noticed under those parts the beads are shiney and have pretty major pitting..not holes but sort of 'chewed' I guess I would put it, not sure if i can get a good pic of how bad it is.

I've made tons of these before, I had them in the solution for 10 mins each time.

Bad solution? I'm not sure on it's age as I bought it 'new' off etsy, but I've used it previous to today without problems. The other bottles I have last for what seems like years.
Old 2011-04-06, 6:00pm
Entropy increasing....

It does that when it gets old. I've had beads that etch and are really scratchy feeling when the etch gets old, but now when it's new. It's clear, not brown liquid?
Old 2011-04-07, 5:01am
Naysayer

That's what I figured. Well there's no telling how long the person I got it from had it. But still odd as I just etched like 2 weeks ago.

It's so bizarre as it looks like a puppy chewed them.

Ok thanks, so I have to offer up a refund or redo and I'll buy new etching solution

Oh and, it's brown, never seen clear, mine's always brown?
Old 2011-04-07, 9:12am
Fire Monkey

New etching solution should be clear. It gets darker as you use it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-07, 9:26am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Mine was brown when I got it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-04-07, 9:29am
Fire Monkey

Geez. Sorry! Mine have always been clear. I wonder if it matters how long they sit on the shelf before purchase?

ETA: I've had 4 bottles of the stuff, all clear.

Old 2011-04-07, 9:36am
Formerly FishBulb

I use Etch-All, have bought two bottles and they were both brown. They do work well though, thankfully!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-04-07, 9:45am
Eight Miles Wide

My etch-all is 5 years old and brown. I only etch for 2 minutes, and that is enough. If I etch longer, i get the pits. also, the shiny can be caused by oils from your fingers handling the beads. I wash my hadns very well before etching and I wipe the beads before they go into the solution.

Old 2011-04-07, 5:30pm
Fire Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-eared pig View Post
My etch-all is 5 years old and brown. I only etch for 2 minutes, and that is enough. If I etch longer, i get the pits. also, the shiny can be caused by oils from your fingers handling the beads. I wash my hadns very well before etching and I wipe the beads before they go into the solution.
Shiny spots can also be from beads touching in the acid. But then, my acid is clear so what do I know.

Old 2011-04-07, 6:07pm
Naysayer

Yep always brown here too..weird! I've used this for freakin years, back when I did seed beads and that's like ancient times lol. hmm

The shiney parts from touching I've had, this was just around the middles and under the weird spots of etch solution that wouldn't just wash off as normal. Then once I got it off they have gouges, like they went through a grinder quick. (we'll use gouges instead of pitting as these are not just holes oy)

Well, customer is being understandable thankfully, I'm going to drop some fuglies in and see what happens with different times and glasses just since I'm curious now. Really I just etched a set 2 weeks ago and they're fine. Normally it'd be sooner but I've been slacking.

I'll try shorter times and cleaning them, but still say it's something odd as this is a first. Sometimes (a lot) I do forget I have beads etching and seems it doesn't matter if it's 10 mins or half hour.

In the meantime I have to get an alternative asap. All I can get local is the cream
Old 2011-04-07, 8:37pm
Fire Monkey

You could tumble them or sandblast them. If you have neither of these maybe someone can do it for you who lives nearby?

Old 2011-04-07, 8:50pm
Entropy increasing....

All of the dip I have gotten was clear when I got it. I'm not sure if it gets dark from being exposed to air or if it's the actual glass that ends up in it.

I had a hard time etching some of the silver glass and when I got new etch it was much easier. The beads should be etched, but smooth.
Old 2011-04-08, 9:45am
dances with ideas...

If the surface isn't smooth, tumbling won't etch the crevices,

Old 2011-04-14, 2:50pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly View Post
You could tumble them or sandblast them. If you have neither of these maybe someone can do it for you who lives nearby?
I sold my tumbler years ago and still kick myself.

Ok so my verdict? It was too cold. About to order some crystals it hit me, "wait, I said there were crystals in it" (duh) and it's as cold in my studio as it is outside. So I let it sit in a tub of hot water, shook..etched..blam, good to go.
CIM 'opal' glass etched, transparent, opaque and raku..I wanted to cover all bases.

I knew it was something as the big bottles last me for years, first bottle was 5 years and worked until it ran out!
Old 2011-04-14, 4:27pm
dances with ideas...

Hooray--success! Thanks for letting us know the solution.

Old 2011-04-14, 8:21pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

LOL "the solution" for the solution!
Old 2011-04-15, 11:46am
dances with ideas...

I do have a way with words, don't I?