Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-11-03, 8:50am
ManBearPig

Default Best bead release?

It's been probably three years since I've used a mandrel. Somehow I let my wife talk me into making her some beads, and I need to get some bead release. Can anyone tell me what's the best bead release out there right now? I used to use Sludge Plus, but with all the new stuff out there I wasn't sure if anything better had come along.

I know some people mix stuff, and I don't want to do that. I just want to get something that I can use right from the jar. The beads she wants me to make are relatively simple, so they won't be in the flame all that long (I hope).

Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-11-03, 9:03am

I have always preferred Fusion. Straight up, no added ingredients.

Anita
www.nitabeads.com
Old 2010-11-03, 9:53am

Location: Indian River County, Florida originally from Connecticut
Default Dip-n-Go Blue Sludge

I have tried 2 others and I'm stuck in Dip-n-Go Blue SLUDGE for my soft and Boro glass.
I hated using the other 2 which I won't name or use again.

Quick after dip or months later it rocks.
Easy to come off mandrel for myself.

I soak soft for garage annealing then it comes right out of bead easy.

Even when I anneal the beads clean out easy as well.

I pour a little into a small container Vitamin jar etc.
I shake and stir yes I shake I get a few bubbles but I don't see them on quick dip on mandrel.

I add a little H2O and re shake and stir.
Add some more when the jar is almost down.
Original container I add a little H2O and shake stir.
I use a popsicle stick to clean side of containers.
Tips:
http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/usi...l_release.html
Old 2010-11-03, 9:59am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Fusion. My favorite. Straight up out of the bottle.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-11-03, 10:15am
Hobby Junkie

Fusion! Great for boro. Doesn't flake or pop off.

Old 2010-11-04, 8:48am

Blue Sludge.

Vanessa
Old 2010-11-04, 1:43pm
boro color bender

Sludge plus is still my go-to... tried a bunch of others and they all let go before they were supposed to...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-11-04, 7:50pm

For soft I swear by a mix of fusion and fosterfire. BUT for boro I have been using dip and go sludge.

I hate dipping mandrels so with the dip and go, I can dip 3" and use the very end for the first spacer. Then the next day I twist it off over water. Then I use the rest of the release on the mandrel for another bead. This goes really quick for me. I find it slower to make more then one bead on a mandrel at the same sitting.

If I use the fusion, or any other bead release, it can not withstand the making another bead on the mandrel the next day.

This saves me time.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-11-04, 8:42pm
Somebody's watching me!

I've never used anything else but fusion. I like it. but ive gotten the mandrel too hot a couple times and i'd start to see cracking. but that was more because i'm a noob at boro beads.

Old 2010-11-07, 9:09am
Pyromaniac

I use Sludge Plus.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-11-09, 9:59am

I found this release on Etsy by Forward Motion Art and have been using it for a couple of years and love it http://www.etsy.com/listing/30644568...-boro-and-soft

Old 2010-11-09, 11:05am

as stated here, fusion is the most popular with boro workers. the dirty looies coming in second

Old 2010-11-10, 12:36am
Glassy Broad :-)

I was running low on my Dip~n~Go, so I just added what was handy.
Aunt something or other...Alice I believe...any way, I LOVE this stuff now for Boro! Cleans so easy, and doesn't break, and trust me, I'm hard on the release with boro..thinking it has to do with my itty bitty minor and only one oxy con

Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-11-12, 12:23am
Fire and Fluidity

Here's a second vote for Forward Motion's release. It seems very different from most other releases. It works very well on my tapered mandrels for fitting stoppers where you need a lot of strength to keep the vessel's neck from coming loose from the mandrel. Yet it cleans out very easily. I love it!!!

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2010-11-20, 6:45pm

Fusion! I tried smooth and tough and it cracked off w/boro. Hated it .
Old 2010-11-22, 9:30am
The Venerable Bead

sludge plus straight up. I used to mix foster fire for boro with fusion and that works great too but brent's recommendation to go with sludge plus a few years ago was a great one. no mix no mess.

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2010-11-22, 7:48pm

I read some where that once you get the bead release hot keep it hot. Because every time you let it cool down then heat up again it gets harder and harder. Don't know if that will help anyone but I thought I would just throw it out there.
Old 2010-11-23, 12:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandErin View Post
I found this release on Etsy by Forward Motion Art and have been using it for a couple of years and love it http://www.etsy.com/listing/30644568...-boro-and-soft
Thats the one that I use - and its fantastic... So a third vote for it

Old 2010-11-23, 1:36pm
Enjoying Life

Fusion!