Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-08, 11:30am

Default Uroboros 104 clear

Are there any suppliers of the new Uroboros 104 clear on the west coast.
Thanks

Katie
Old 2012-10-09, 4:23pm

I found one "Artistry in Glass"in Ontario, Canada.

Katie
Old 2012-10-09, 8:03pm

Howaco ships.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2012-10-09, 9:23pm

Haven't heard of this - are they making 104 THIN in sheet?

Barbara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Barbara
Old 2012-10-10, 12:22pm

http://www.uroboros.com/products.php?section=1

Not sure if this the one,Barbara.

I was looking for the Noodles (COE 104 Clear)

Katie
Old 2012-10-10, 3:06pm

Howaco has the noodles ready to ship, I saw them on her website last night.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2012-11-21, 4:02pm

Uroboros Clear 104 is now available on the West Coast from Frantz and from GlassCraft in Denver (so Eugene as well)! If you're looking for a great deal and can deal with a few bubbles, Uro 104 OddRods - a little more bubbly than our first quality rods - are available from Uroboros! www.uroboros.com - click on "Our Products" and "Specials". There's 104 sheet there too!

We're full steam ahead pulling, packing and shipping 104 Clear Rods to all of our distributors. Be sure to ask your supplier to get them in for you!
Old 2012-11-21, 4:28pm
Melody of Glass

I just bought both the noodles and the rods on the weekend from Artistry in Glass. I'm very lucky that they are within a 10 min drive for me so they are my regular supplier I will be trying them out tonight!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-11-26, 4:18pm

Waiting for my clear to arrive. I automatically pickle clear but after reading about someone ruining their DH clear, I thought I'd better check. Anyone know of any problems pickling the Uroboros 104 clear? Thanks.

Georgia
Old 2012-11-27, 2:54am

Glass doesn't like water, especially if it is scratched. From a chemical point of view, the silicon atoms in the glass have a great affinity for oxygen. A scratch in the glass breaks silicon-silicon bonds and the silicon will need to find something to attach itself to. The most easily available molecule is the water that is vaporized in the air, which attaches through their oxygen atoms. The glass thus becomes hydrated and that's what causes bubbles when you heat the glass, what you see is the adsorbed water vaporizing.
My point is that an aqueous solution for pickling glass rods will just make sure all scratches are hydrated and if the glass has lots of tiny scratches, it may bubble all the more.
I clean my rods with alcohol or vinegar but just my rubbing them.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-11-27, 1:54pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Wow, very scientific, thanks for the explanation! I have another question that you might be able to help with, Anne. Or anyone might be able to help, really.

I clean my rods with alcohol, and the first application/winding on of an encasing layer is just fine, but after I flame cut the tip of the rod and then try to add more glass from the flame-cut tip (or use that same rod to encase another bead later), there's a million tiny bubbles in that flame-cut tip. Every time I flame-cut the glass it gets these million tiny bubbles, so the only time I can apply clear without getting any bubbles is on a brand new rod. How do I prevent this, short of cutting all my clear into small, bite-size pieces?

A friend told me the best way to prevent scumming was to remove a small dollop of glass from the tip of every new rod, but the way I work my clear that would just give me more bubbles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Londez View Post
Glass doesn't like water, especially if it is scratched. From a chemical point of view, the silicon atoms in the glass have a great affinity for oxygen. A scratch in the glass breaks silicon-silicon bonds and the silicon will need to find something to attach itself to. The most easily available molecule is the water that is vaporized in the air, which attaches through their oxygen atoms. The glass thus becomes hydrated and that's what causes bubbles when you heat the glass, what you see is the adsorbed water vaporizing.
My point is that an aqueous solution for pickling glass rods will just make sure all scratches are hydrated and if the glass has lots of tiny scratches, it may bubble all the more.
I clean my rods with alcohol or vinegar but just my rubbing them.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-11-27, 2:26pm

Anne, thanks for the info-all new information for me. I knew I should have paid attention in chemistry!

Thanks.

Georgia
Old 2012-11-27, 2:59pm

Wow, it's only $5 a quarter pound at Frantz!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-11-27, 3:12pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Aimee, that is the normal price. Unfortunately I am going to be out of it for probably one more week. My shipment was supposed to be here over a week ago but it was delayed.

Old 2012-11-27, 3:48pm

$5 is the normal price?! Man, I was thinking it was gonna be something like $20 a 1/4 pound, everyone has been talking it up so much. I'm really excited now!

Just gotta put "GLASS" on my Christmas list and maybe Santa will get some for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howaco View Post
Aimee, that is the normal price. Unfortunately I am going to be out of it for probably one more week. My shipment was supposed to be here over a week ago but it was delayed.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-12-01, 10:19am

I'm very particular about my clear, and Uroboros is my new go-to. It's got minimal bubbles, the surface doesn't scum, it's amazingly optically pure, and it reacts with silver less than other clears I've tried..

Now if they'd only make it in larger sizes. Please email uroboros to request larger sizes.

http://www.uroboros.com/contact.php

Last edited by dusty; 2012-12-05 at 9:49am.
Old 2012-12-01, 4:18pm

Just ordered 1 pound . Wanted more but wouldn't
accept it. Ten dollar shipping fee is high for 1 lbs.

Last edited by marilyn h; 2012-12-01 at 4:53pm.
Old 2012-12-04, 6:30pm

Just played with my new clear from Uroboros. So very pleased with the clarity of this glass. Best clear in this price range for me.

Yayyyy!!
No fizzy scuzzy bubbles!
I will definitely be ordering more.
Joan