LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-04-16, 10:54am

Question kiln on table

so i just got a bluebird xl, and i really don't feel like spending 250+ on a table just for my kiln. i bought marble tiles that are 12x12. if i were to set them up on the table i already have (which is some type of wood) and just set the kiln on these marble tiles would it be ok? i remember reading somewhere that the bottom of the bluebird xl doesn't get too hot, ill try and get a picture up to clarify what i mean thanks.
Old 2013-04-16, 11:05am

those are the marble tiles and if i am able to put it on a table like that ill be one happy camper lol
Attached Images

Old 2013-04-16, 12:56pm
kinda torching....

I think that would work, I have seen kilns directly on wooden surfaces before but I wouldn't myself. Another cheap option is to use concrete blocks to make a stand off the floor. Fire safe and heat resistabt.
Old 2013-04-16, 1:04pm
old fart

put the kiln on a 12x12x4 inch thick cement brick on top of your worksurface.....this will keep the temperature seen by the table, much lower.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-04-16, 1:43pm

yea good idea we have a bunch of those round red bricks/blocks i think i might put a layer of those down
Old 2013-04-16, 4:14pm

You could also get some hardiebacker cement board. My whole bench top is cement board.
Old 2013-04-17, 8:07am

hey thanks, my kiln is ordered and I was wondering the same, though getting a paragon F130 ( larger, than this question) but was going to make a table, now going to use bricks as the top.
Old 2013-04-17, 8:19am
Borovangelist

I put mine up on bricks. They're fireproof and it lets air circulate around the kiln.

Don't forget to leave space behind it and the wall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 2013-04-17, 8:22am

so the bluebird XL has the controller on the bottom of it. I have found that this acts as alot of insulation to what ever it is sitting on. I have mine on a small stand with marble strips under the front and back feet (there is an air gap between the table and the kiln bottom). I have felt under the kiln and it is warm but not hot at all (heat rises so ).
Old 2013-04-23, 7:48pm

My AIM kiln is sitting on 4 pieces of fire brick that are probably about 4" thick.
Old 2013-05-28, 5:24am

I had my kiln on 2" square fire brick feet for a while (over wood) and never had any problems. An all metal surface presented itself, however, and now I just use that.

Good luck and keep tabs on it the first time you run it... =)

Old 2013-05-28, 6:52am

I got an enamel top table at a junk store for $25 and it works great. It never gets hot anyway. But I think it is good to plan for a relay gone bad, etc that might cause a runaway temp.
Old 2013-06-15, 6:57pm

Default Kilns

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoX9 View Post
You could also get some hardiebacker cement board. My whole bench top is cement board.
So which kiln do you think a beginner should buy? I want a good one that is small & will last. I'm just starting out & am trying to get supplies I need. Just not sure about which torch(don't want a hothead) & which Kiln.
Old 2013-06-16, 2:04pm

I expect that the kiln suppliers have instructions regarding the type of table top and distance from surfaces which are safe for this kiln- have you looked at these?
Old 2013-06-24, 9:16am
Practicing perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikim View Post
So which kiln do you think a beginner should buy? I want a good one that is small & will last. I'm just starting out & am trying to get supplies I need. Just not sure about which torch(don't want a hothead) & which Kiln.
CaliKim, You should start a new thread on this. You will get all kinds of answers to these questions. Personally I started on a hot head and played with that for a couple of months then went with the Minor, I've been using that for about 10 years no problems. Was a great investment.
Kiln - My DH bought me a Paragon S3 and I love it. A little on the pricy side, but again been using that for about 10 years also no problems. Paragon has lesser price bead kilns, but I'm sure there are a lot more out there, I just know about the Paragon kiln I own.

Welcome, good luck and have fun!

Old 2013-06-24, 10:08am

My Glass Hive kiln is awesome.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials: