Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2005-08-29, 4:48am
Viking Flame Keeper

Default Storage solutions, pictures wanted!

I'm thinking of building some kind of new glass storage and I would like to see yours!

Please post pictures of your current storage solution and describe what you used to build it.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-08-29, 12:58pm
I fart diamonds

Plastic stackable storage container purchased at Walmart for $15. Use the 6" fencing material for the glass:

open

closed

Old 2005-08-29, 1:11pm
JOAT, Master of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette
Plastic stackable storage container purchased at Walmart for $15. Use the 6" fencing material for the glass:

open

closed
You're a Very smart shopper. That looks great!
Old 2005-08-29, 1:15pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Nancy Zapata have a nice acrylic holder for glass rods.
http://www.zapatabeads.com/catalog.php?category=3
Hope you'll find what you need!!

Old 2005-08-29, 5:33pm
MomOnAMission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlee22
Nancy Zapata have a nice acrylic holder for glass rods.
http://www.zapatabeads.com/catalog.php?category=3
Hope you'll find what you need!!
Ouch~it sure is expensive. Go to a fencing place, dig thru their scraps, you'll be amazed at the deal you can strike w/them! Go to Tink's studio on here & ck out how well it works
Old 2005-08-29, 5:56pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Roseanne
I agree it's expensive BUT I guess that can be easy (sort of) to do one... Just need some glue** good one** and some acrylic sheets. I'm planning to ''try'' to do one.
For now, I have a shoes organizer and it works well for me!!
Attached Images

Old 2005-08-29, 6:09pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlee22
Roseanne
I agree it's expensive BUT I guess that can be easy (sort of) to do one... Just need some glue** good one** and some acrylic sheets. I'm planning to ''try'' to do one.
For now, I have a shoes organizer and it works well for me!!
The fencing is easier. It's 6" wide and when you cut it, the inside is divided into 2"x2" sections. You could get some and put it in your shoe rack. It was less than $10 for a 12ft length.

PVC pipe is even cheaper.

Last edited by shawnette; 2005-08-29 at 6:11pm.
Old 2005-08-29, 6:18pm
needs to light the torch.

I am very spoiled because I have a BF who loves to build stuff!
This is a picture of my glassrack.

I also have two more long, thin ones that he built into my studio up against the ceiling...

Old 2005-08-29, 7:42pm
One Crazy Mama

what does a piece of this fencing look like empty? I am having a hard time picturing fencing like that...

Old 2005-08-30, 12:46am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by isle-of-cats

I also have two more long, thin ones that he built into my studio up against the ceiling...

my goodness!!! NOw that is glass storage !I love it

Old 2005-08-30, 7:46am
I fart diamonds

It's the vinyl rail, not the actual fence:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...01S&lpage=none

They sell it at Home Depot and Lowes.

end view _____________________________________________side view

(This is obviously a scrap piece)

Old 2005-08-30, 7:46am
JOAT, Master of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by isle-of-cats

Nicole---- Marry him, QUICK! Very handy!!!!

I'm the handy on in the family, isn't that sad?
Old 2005-08-30, 7:48am
Common Lurker

Suzanne, love what the BF built for you!
Shawnette, love that you have doors!

Hi! I'm new here, I've been lurking a bit...
Thought I would post a couple of my make-do-for-a-while-til-I-figure-out-what-I-really-want storage boxes...

I found the white one at Walmart for about $15.
This holds my 104coe glass.
Added the PVC and some heavy duty casters.
If I had to do over, I would use fencing, or gutter materials.
There is a lot of wasted space with the PVC tubes.
And I would have mounted the casters to a little bit larger board,
then mounted the board to the bottom of the box.
As is, it's just a little tippy, but it's still very strong and functional.

The dark one is just a desktop paper storage box from Sam's Club.
I think it was $10. This holds my ~96coe glass.
I don't have much of that yet, but this is strong enough for now.

Old 2005-08-30, 8:18am
JOAT, Master of None

After seeing some of these I drove by an Antique place here in town. I found this thing that looked great. It's black, and it's 2 kitchen cabinets put on top of each other. The top has 2 doors, and deep. I think it was the above counter cabinet. The bottom has a drawer then 2 more doors, under counter cabinet. It's even deeper.
Got it for $60. I'm going to put in on locking casters I think.

I'm going with Shawnette and Tinks idea about the fencing to fill it up. I'll use the drawer for my tools. Since it's on top of each other it's not taking up too much space either.

I'm going to do before and after pics.
Old 2005-08-30, 12:15pm
Moving On

I bought several of these metal storage cabinets on ebay (new, $35 plus shipping), and they are fantastic. The cubbies are 4"x4", and I divided most of them into 4 using clear plastic 2x2 square tubing that I'd already purchased).
http://cgi.ebay.com/32-Hole-Metal-St...QQcmdZViewItem

Tubing from JC Danzek
http://www.jcdanczak.com/our_products/cat_7.html
--Gail

9/6/06 The above link doesn't work anymore, but it is Barnes Distribution on Ebay

Last edited by Gail Joseph; 2006-09-11 at 12:55pm.
Old 2005-08-30, 2:12pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Joseph
I bought several of these metal storage cabinets on ebay (new, $35 plus shipping), and they are fantastic. The cubbies are 4"x4", and I divided most of them into 4 using clear plastic 2x2 square tubing that I'd already purchased).
http://cgi.ebay.com/32-Hole-Metal-St...QQcmdZViewItem

Tubing from JC Danzek
http://www.jcdanczak.com/our_products/cat_7.html
--Gail
Now that's nice. Pictures?

Old 2005-08-31, 8:52am
Formerly SirWatson

I found a great shoe organizer at Target for around $15 and then bought PVC pipe and cut it into 12 inch lengths. I can store up to 90 colors of glass in this small area and even add more pipe when I want more compartments! Here's a pic:

<><
Old 2005-08-31, 10:39am
MomOnAMission

you can also take the "insert" out of the shoe compartment and it will allow for more pvc (can never have too much glass)
Old 2005-08-31, 1:24pm
JOAT, Master of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWatson
I found a great shoe organizer at Target for around $15 and then bought PVC pipe and cut it into 12 inch lengths. I can store up to 90 colors of glass in this small area and even add more pipe when I want more compartments! Here's a pic:

Watson, I believe you have it!!!!
(just had to say that).
Great idea... Makes me feel like I didn't make a good buy afterall...
OH WELL, it will be fun to refinish the cabinet.
Old 2005-08-31, 8:43pm
Superkitty

Quote:

open

closed
Shawnette,

I love the fact that it is enclosed. My set up is in the garage. My glass is now completely covered in sawdust because we had the bathroom fixed and the builder cut all of his material in the garage.

Deb
Old 2005-09-01, 12:36pm
Viking Flame Keeper

Thank you ladies! All your storage solutions are so neat and innovative.

I have a really sturdy bookshelf filled with unused craft materials (what can I say? I found glass...) that I can pack in boxes and put in the basement.
I'm going to visit my inlaws this weekend and will ask my father in law if he can build me something that'll fit the shelf. I'm thinking something like the shoe organizer but with 2x2 holes instead. I should be able to store most of my glass in that. I'll post pictures when I'm done!

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2005-09-03, 7:00am
Detail G-Mama!

Quote:
It's the vinyl rail, not the actual fence:

They sell it at Home Depot and Lowes.
Except here in the Austin area!

Old 2005-09-03, 12:12pm
One Crazy Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts
Except here in the Austin area!
not in our area either

Old 2005-09-03, 12:48pm
I fart diamonds

Anne and Sondra, just call a local fencing company. Home Depot and Lowes are just national chains, but other companies carry it also. Any place that sells the seperate components for the vinyl fencing (privacy fence) will have it. You can also order it using the link I provided (Lowes) and they should be able to deliver it at your local store for you to pick up.

Old 2005-09-04, 9:16am

The fence company people I've spoken with say the ribbed version was a 'cheaper' 'older' style and they don't use it any more. They say their fence has thicker walls and no divider pieces.

I'm hoping they didn't know what they were talking about as I still hope to get enough someplace to do a cabinet for soft glass and eventually some boro.

Nancy
Old 2005-09-04, 4:09pm
I fart diamonds

If all else fails, I'll be happy to get it for you here and ship it. It took me a while to find it, too, but that's because I was looking in the wrong place. At Lowes, it was outside in the garden area. Not inside with the other fencing supplies.

Old 2005-09-04, 5:15pm
Detail G-Mama!

Thanks for the offer! I think I'm going to ask them if they can just special order it to here when I get ready to make the storage space!

Old 2005-09-11, 11:51am
what's a senior moment ?

Here's mine that just got set up. Rolling steel shelves that can hold up to 350 pounds (purchased at Lowe's) with pvc tubes that came in 10 foot lengths cut into 12" length sections ( the CHEAP sewer type). The sides and back of the shelves are a cut up sheet of pegboard that was here at the house being fastened on the shelves with zip ties. Those zip ties are STRONG. The tubes are angled slightly up so glass doesn't fall out and again, that is with stuff we had around the house. Some of the tubes have caps on them (hubby decided that was necessary but they aren't) and they can be moved as they are not glued or fastened to each other. And they do not move around when moving the cart. Very tight fit. Love this !
Debbie A.
Old 2005-09-11, 3:25pm
JOAT, Master of None

very innovative... Love the way you think.
Are your stringers in an ice tray? I like your desk too..
Want to come help me get mine together?
Old 2005-09-12, 4:00am
what's a senior moment ?

Robin, would love to come help you out as I see you're in North Carolina ! lol ! We LOVE NC and miss living there. We lived just a little south of Raleigh. Anyway, yes, the stringers are in an ice cube tray. The shape of those are tube and I got it at Walmart. Works great for long stringers/twisties BUT the short pieces are hard to see. The desk was a work table at a place hubby use to work. He has 3 of them as they were giving them away to get rid of them. They had a whole warehouse full of them and they are HEAVY ! All steel except the top which has laminate on top so I had to cover it with steel. It works out great now that I have the glass off of it ! lol !
Debbie A.