No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-07-02, 6:17pm
Floral Obsessed

Default Natural Gas Hookup in Ontario?

Hi Folks!

Wow, it's been ages since I posted. We've been busy moving to Ontario from Manitoba to be closer to my family. We had to sell our house with our glass studio in it! Now everything's in storage and we're subletting a small apartment for the summer - BUT we just bought our new house and it has incredible studio potential!

In our last studio, we has a natural gas connection and we LOVED it. I wouldn't go any other way now. However, I remember how much of a PITA it was trying to get the permits for the installation worked out. And more importantly, how much it helped to know the name of the official who had already done a lampworking natural gas hookup! It was like night and day.

Naturally, my hope is that I can connect with someone who uses natural gas in Ontario - ideally, Ottawa. I've spoken with Grace Edwards and the Ottawa Glass Beadmakers Association (so much fun! I'm so excited to have a group!) but no luck meeting a natural gas torcher yet. I'm looking for tips and maybe the name of a savvy permit official who will understand what I'm trying to do and not assume I want to cook meth!

Thanks for any help anyone can offer! I used NG for 5 years already so I have all the right gear and fittings (might get a fresh gas hose just to be prudent). Now I'm off to ogle vent hoods and studios and dream about making our new studio! (Possession date isn't until September, though!)

Cheers - Heather (Hearts of Glass)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2010-07-07, 5:58am

Sheridan College in Oakville (5 hours away) uses all natural glass and the technologist there is pretty keen on the laws around it.
http://www.sheridaninstitute.ca/Inte...-%20Glass.aspx
There is a phone number for the college on the bottom of the page, when you call ask for the glass studio. The technologists name is Jason Cornish.
Old 2010-07-07, 11:45am
Floral Obsessed

Thanks Silica, that's very encouraging!

Old 2010-07-12, 11:38am

No problem!
Old 2010-07-12, 12:25pm
state-eternal change

Bead FX does too - I used it in my home studio in St. Catharines. Depending on your utility provider, call them or go to their website and see who they recommend for service contractors. I had Enbridge, and wound up using a company in Niagara Falls. It wound up around $150 because they didn't have to run much line. You can tell them it's like running gas dryer line in the basement, but you would like a shut off installed too.

Congrats on moving to Ontario! There's a great lampworking community close to Toronto, and Bead Oasis is a great show to sell your stuff at as well.

Old 2010-07-12, 12:55pm
I like to melt things

My understanding in Ontario is that as long as the natural gas hookup is created by a ticketed gas fitter, you shouldn't have any problem.

Gas appliances of all kinds are really common in Ontario. My parents had a gas stove and a gas barbecue, piped through the house, and my ex was a pipe fitter. Unless you are undertaking a serious renovation to get the pipe fit, I don't think you need a special permit, but you might need to check on that. A gas fitter will know.

-
-
Old 2010-07-13, 8:37am
state-eternal change

Yes, ticketed for sure

Old 2010-07-26, 5:18pm
Floral Obsessed

Okay, phew! In Winnipeg we had to call half a dozen pipefitters. Thanks for the good news!

Old 2010-07-26, 6:40pm
what a blast!

Hi there
I too run natural gas to my Nortel minor torch. I am connected directly to the central gas line that comes into the house. We have a gas furnace, gas stove and gas BBQ. I didn't need a special permit, just a gas installer/pipefitter. I had them install a gas shut off valve in the line feeding my torch (just an extra safety precaution).

Being in Toronto, my biggest problem was finding someone who would do a small job.

All the best.

Carol

Old 2010-09-08, 1:22pm
Floral Obsessed

Hm, so I just talked to a gasfitter who said I'd need to go through TSSA (Technical Standards & Safety Authority). The Fuels Safety Program Technical Service Advisor said I needed to get the full-blown industrial inspection done, at a cost of $550 mimimum. That's just for the inspection, not for the installation. Boo!
Has anyone gotten around this, or dealt with it in any way?
Also I'm getting static with insurance, I'm told it will have to be a commercial policy at around $700/year to cover the manufacturing and torch issues.
Not insurmountable, but the cost will be hard to absorb.
Any advice appreciated!