Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2007-03-13, 5:39pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

Default Photoshop Web Banner Tutorial

Simple Banner Tutorial for Photoshop (I am using CS version on a PC.)

You can use this tutorial pretty much for anything like banners, business cards, whatever. It all depends on the size of the image you want to create. Keep in mind that some places require images to be of a certain size (pixels and/or filesize) and some places also require it to be a certain filetype (.jpg, .gif, .tif and so on). If you are using photoshop, I highly recommend you SAVE a copy of the file with all of the layers. That way if you have to change the filetype or adjust the size, it can be easily done and you’ll have the best resolution for your final image.

Also keep in mind where you plan to use your banner/image. Do you plan to change the background on your website a lot? Do you want a solid image, or a transparent image? I like transparent images for website use (headers and such), but if I’m placing a banner somewhere that I do not have control over the layout or color – I tend to stick with solid color and not have it be a transparency.

(Transparency meaning that your image will lay on top of whatever background you have and the background will show through – except where you have words or items in your banner that block out the background. I hope that makes sense.)

There are soooo many things you can do to change how an image looks and feels. Sometimes it is just experimentation and playing around until you get it the way you like it. Don’t be afraid to experiment. You can always “undo” or use History to go back a few steps.

I’m creating an image step-by-step for Beadygirl Beads (Tera) – since that’s how this tutorial got started in the first place. I grabbed my sample images from her website. When you do it, you’ll want to use the best resolution images you can—so the final product will look nice. Okay enough babbling – here is how *I* do it:

Step 1 – Pull together a few images that you want to either use a portion, or all of, in your banner. You can also grab some images that inspire you for color. These are helpful if you know you want a certain color in your banner. If you want to experiment with different fonts, go ahead and download a bunch of fonts that you like. I like to use www.1001freefonts.com – they have a lot to choose from and well, they are free!

Step 2 – Determine the size of your banner. I believe the image size for Etsy shop banner is 760 pixels wide by 100 pixels high. So, I’m going to create my base file that size. I also make it 300 DPI, and use CMYK. You can adjust this later if necessary, but it’s always better to start out with higher resolution and more color options.

Step 3 – Open up some of your sample images, and cut and paste pieces of them into your banner. Photoshop should automatically create a new layer for every image you paste in. If it doesn’t then you’ll want to create a new layer for each one. This is very easy to do. Just go to Window-->Layers and the Layers toolbar will pop open. At the bottom, you’ll see a small icon that looks like a sheet of paper with the bottom left corner turned up. Just click on that and it will create a new layer.

(To cut and paste, be sure you have clicked on the “Rectangle Marquee Tool” and then drag your mouse to outline what you want to cut out. Then go to Edit--> Copy, click on blue portion of your banner window and Edit--> Paste. You can also use short-cut keys to do this. To Copy, just Control-C and to Paste just Control-V. Be sure you have clicked somewhere on the gray or blue area of the one you want to copy from and then the one you want to paste into. (This is especially true if you have multiple images open, since you don’t want to cut or paste to/from the wrong image.)

If you need to resize the image that you pasted, then click on the arrow right next to the Marquee tool. Then click on the image you want to resize and you should see what is called a bounding box. It’s just an outline around the image, and it has little squares at the corners and in the middle of each side. You’ll want to click on one of the corner squares and drag it to the size you want it to be. If you want the image to resize proportionally, you’ll need to hold down the Shift key while you do this. If you want to make it go funky and crazy, then experiment away!

Kind of fuzzy, but you can see the toolbar on the left with the square marquee tool at the top, and the arrow next to it. On the right side is the layers window. You can also see the beads on the right have a bounding box around them.

Step 4 – Next, decide what color you want the background to be—keeping in mind colors for the font. You want them to be distinct so your letters don’t fade away. You also don’t want too busy of a background, because it will make the text hard to read. So, I tend to go with a plain background and spice up the letters. Some people like patterned backgrounds – it’s all up to you.

I picked black as the main background color. Tera’s beads are very colorful and she obviously likes rainbows. So, my thought is to make her Text more rainbow effect – and therefore I need a very simple background for it to standout on and look nice.

Step 4 – Make the background the color you want. I clicked on Layer 1 (or you can create a new layer, and drag it down to the bottom to make it the background layer) and used the Square marquee tool and outlined the whole area. Then I right-clicked inside the box, and clicked on “Fill” – from there you have a dropdown menu under “Contents” that says “Use” – You can use your foreground color (which in this case would be the aqua box in the left-hand toolbar) or your background color (which looks pinky-brown), black, white, and so on. If you click on “Color” it will open up a color picking window – and you can either choose a color from there OR if you drag your mouse off that window the mouse icon will turn into a little eyedropper. You can put this eyedropper on any of your sample images to grab the color you want. (You can set your foreground and background colors the same way, using the eyedropper in the lefthand toolbar too.)

Step 5 – Make sure your rulers are on. If not, just go to View-->Rulers and they will pop on. This will allow you to pull a guideline from the ruler area and be able to mark out where center is, or anywhere else you want to align to. I pulled out a guideline (while on the black background layer with the arrow in the left toolbar click so I could see the bounding box) and snapped it to the middle little box on the bounding box. This is exactly center of your image.

Step 6 – Click on, or create, a new and empty layer. (For every different area you will be putting text – this way you can move it all around without having to redo everything.)

Step 7 – Click on the “T” in the left toolbar. This is your Text Tool – and once you have clicked you can type in your text. Once you have typed it in, you can change the font, the font size, the font effect (strong, smooth, etc) and the font color. For me, there is a toolbar at the top with dropdown menus for Font, Size, and Type. You can also edit alignment there. Lastly, there is a small box of color (usually the foreground color or whatever color you set the font to last) and if you click in there you can select the color you want the font to be. Like last time, if you meander out of the box it will change to an eyedropper and you can grab a color from any other image you have open.

I put in all my text in first, and then play with it to make it how I want it to look afterwards.

Step 8 – You can change how the text looks by going to Layer--> Layer Style-->Blending Options. Here you can add a drop shadow, make it look embossed (several different types of embossing), add a glow, do all sorts of things. I recommend you play around in there and see what the different things do – just to get a feel for it. It lets you preview (if you click the box) how the effect would look, so you can play around without changing it for real. If you do change it, you can still undo it after!

To get the rainbow effect, I made the text white and then went to the Blending Options-->Gradient Overlay--> and picked the one that looked like a rainbow. Then I fiddled with the settings to make it the way I wanted it. In this case, the angle was 0 degrees, and the style was Radial. Mode was Normal, and I made the scale 150 (the max).

Step 9 – Now that I have the pretty rainbow effect, I want the text to pop out from the background a little. So, I will go and play with the “Bevel and Emboss” area under “Blending Options.” I used Pillow Emboss and changed the depth to 9. Everything else I left as default.

Step 10 – Go in and make all the different text fields the way you want them to be.

Step 11 – Consider if you need any dividing lines or outline. For this image, I think I would like a nice color line between the images and the black background. Just for a little more color. I did this by going to the line tool (looks like a diagonal line) in the lefthand tool bar. I dragged it (while holding Shift to make sure it was straight) in the area I wanted a line. You can adjust the thickness of the line pretty easily. I just put in a number(between 3 and 5) of pixels and adjust from there. I picked the periwinkle color, since both images have it and it’ll tie in nicely with the rainbow too.

Step 12 – When you are done, SAVE it as a .psd before you do anything to merge the layers. This way you can come back and change text or change out the picture easily. (Or if you want to change colors, etc.)

Step 13 – Now, save the image for the web by going to File-->Save for Web – this will open up a new window and you can save it as a GIF or a JPEG for web use. I typically use the “Original” version since it will give you options of different automatic versions you can use.

I hope this helps. I am sure I am leaving out some stuff, but hopefully you can figure it out. If not, post and I’ll try to answer the question as best I can. I can do this pretty quickly and easily, but telling someone else how to do it is another story!

Here’s the final version:
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-14, 12:38pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Awesome tutorial, Misty, with an awesome result!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2007-03-14, 2:32pm
Wandering Spirit

This is a great help! One question, how do you use the fonts once they're downloaded? I'm prolly making it too difficult, but what do you need to do in order to use them in the banner you make in Photoshop?

Old 2007-03-14, 3:35pm

Great tutorial. Thank you.

Barb
Old 2007-03-14, 3:59pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

Blue bird - you will want to make sure they are installed on your computer. Especially under Adobe Fonts folder. Sometimes installing fonts can be tricky as they'll be installed for MS Office but not for Adobe. So, you may need to install them "twice" - once in your main Fonts folder (path: My Computer-->Program Files-->Windows-->Fonts) and then in your Adobe Fonts folder. You may need to just do a quick search on your computer for "Fonts" folders - and just make sure you have extracted a copy of the font into every Fonts folder.

I hope that makes sense. Mac has a better way of dealing with fonts than PCs, but this is the only way I know to make sure it works on a PC without special software (if there is any...haven't checked.)

Oh - and to use them in the banner. When you've selected the "T" (Text Tool) you should see a dropdown menu at the top of your screen (just like you would in MS Office) and you can use that to pick the font you want to use. Just pick one, see what it looks like and if you don't like it, scroll until you find another one. You can keep on changing the font as much as you like.

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2007-03-14, 4:09pm
phrit phreak

WOW thanks for doing this tut!! Anyone know if you can do this on Photoshop elements? It looks like some of the same tools you use on here, are also on elements.

Thanks again!

Old 2007-03-14, 10:31pm
Everybody Needs Beads!

Misty you are an absolute ANGEL for doing this!! Wow you just whipped it right out didn't you? Awesome! I don't know if I can handle the spolight though....maybe I'm a little bit silly with the rainbow thing? Ah well, I guess I am just a little bit silly. Thank you SO much! Now let's see if I can do it. (cross your fingers)

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2007-03-14, 10:51pm
Wandering Spirit

So I've given up on getting cool fonts from online and just stuck with what was on the computer already. I can't seem to figure out how to get them on Photoshop Elements. Here is my current Etsy banner- I'm not very happy with it:

It looks unfinished to me. What I really wanted was some nice clip art to add to the background, instead of having to use my beads since I don't plan on selling only lampwork beads on my site. I found a couple examples that have the sort of feel I'm looking for:

I love her background! It is impossible to find free clip art- or at least for me. If someone has a link to find clip art similar to the one she used, that would be awesome.
The other one I found while quickly browsing is this one:

Of course, I love anything with flowers or some kind of nature theme. Here's to hoping someone can help with my banner problem. I'm getting tempted to look into paying someone to do it for me, but I'd like to know how to make my own for future reference. THanks for any and all help! Aja

Old 2007-03-15, 11:57am
Redheaded Thread Killer

Blue bird - hmmm. Not sure what to do for Photoshop Elements. I'm sorry!

As far as the background clipart. There are some websites. When you search don't look for "clipart" since you'll probably not find what you want. You'll want to do a search like "free background" or "free wallpaper." You can then take a piece of whatever image you find that you like to use as your background for your banner. Here are some good ones I found:

http://www.allfreebackgrounds.com/
http://www.themindseyes.com/ (Some really pretty flower images here.)
http://www.backgroundcity.com/

And I *have* to post a link to my favorite wallpaper site ever. (I've had this guy's stuff on my computer for...hmm..around 10 years?)
http://www.mikebonnell.com/

And, well - I could make some background stuff like Angela's in Photoshop by taking a picture and "fiddling" with it. Not sure if P.Elements can though....

I will come back later and post how I do that....(after I figure it out...since I have to DO it to know. Hehehe.)

Nothing on
Old 2007-03-15, 12:28pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

To make your own background – Tutorial

First you’ll need to find the image (or images) you want to use for your background. You can also use this tutorial just to make some fun art for elsewhere in your banner or on your website.

I’ll walk you through how I took this:

And made this:

I would probably make it lighter and maybe give it some color. (Which I explain how to do at the end...)

Step 1 – Open original image you wish to manipulate. (Be sure to save it as a new name right after, so you don’t ruin your original image file.)

Step 2— Use the Marquee tool and outline the area you wish to manipulate and “Crop”. To Crop, once you’ve outlined your area go to Image-->Crop.

(Or, you can do the manipulation to the whole image and just take the piece you want from it when you are done. Sometimes you know you only want a certain area....others... you may want the whole thing.)

Step 3 – Remove color from image (or not, it’s up to you...) I used “Desaturate” to do this, and you would go to Image-->Adjustments-->Desaturate (Or Control+Shift+U)

Step 4 – Next I altered the Brightness/Contrast down so it would look more faint. To do this, go to Image-->Adjustments-->Brightness/Contrast - Basically use the two adjustments in that popup window to get the image like you want it. For this I slid the Brightness bar to the right some, and the Contrast bar to the left some. (Sorry I didn’t write down the numbers. Basically it looks like a faded B&W photograph at this point.)

Step 5 – Next I applied a filter to the image: Go to Filter-->Stylize-->Glowing Edges

Step 6 – Since it was mostly black, with white edges and I want it the reverse, I used another tool to invert the black and white. Go to Image-->Adjustments-->Invert (or Control-I)

And Voila!

Okay, if you ONLY want to make it lighter – just go back to the Brightness/Contrast area and fiddle with the bars until you like it.

If you want to add color, go back to Image-->Adjustments-->Hue/Saturation There is a small clickbox on the lower right hand side of the pop-up window that says “Colorize” click that. Now you can play with the hues and colorize (single color) the way you want. You can also make the whole image lighter with this feature – so I tend to skip altering the Brightness/Contrast area until AFTER I am done with changing/altering the color.

Here’s what the final “Colorized” version looks like. I would maybe go a hair lighter – but....at some point you’re going to lose too much detail. So you have to decide where to stop to keep the background imagery “recognizable” and yet not too overpowering for your font. Or, you can do something really cool to an image and use it off to the side(s) (instead of bead pictures) – at which point you can pretty much have them however you want. I love using the Filter feature – please experiment and see what you can come up with!

Nothing on
Old 2007-03-15, 12:33pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

Oh - and for Angela's banner - it looks like they did something similar but maybe used some Retro artwork, flower plates from a book, or old wallpaper imagery (as in wallpaper for the house - not computer wallpaper)

When doing this, depending on what you want to use it for - you'll need to find images that are clean and not too cluttered. The one I found is nice, but there is too much going on (for me) to like it as a background without altering it some more. You can always manually erase part of images to de-clutter them. Sometimes you can find the right image without a lot of clutter to begin with. It all depends on what you start out with. If you're thinking ahead of what you'll have to do to the image - it helps when you're looking at images and deciding what to pick as your "original image" to start from.

I hope that makes sense!

Nothing on
Old 2007-03-15, 12:50pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

Without knowing more about you...(no website, and no profile on Etsy)....

Very simple, font is "Scriptina" - very pretty but you can't make it very big because of the danglies:
Attached Images

Nothing on

Last edited by MistyCherie; 2007-03-15 at 12:58pm.
Old 2007-03-15, 1:43pm
Wandering Spirit

Wow! I'm envious of your knowledge with these programs, lol. I will try and see what i can come up with now. Thanks so much for your newest tut, and the banner looks awesome! Aja

Old 2007-03-15, 2:32pm
Wandering Spirit

Talking

Wahoo- I think I've got it! So here is my new banner for etsy:

Misty, you've been a lifesaver!! I'm sure I'll be looking back at this thread for help with anything else to do with banners, avatars, etc.
Aja

Old 2007-03-15, 2:34pm
Wandering Spirit

Hmm, should I use a diff. color for my text? Maybe black would be better.. opinions, please..

Old 2007-03-15, 3:16pm
Wandering Spirit

Red face

Oops, must remember not to merge layers if wanting to make changes later-drat! So here it is with black font.

Guess making mistakes is just good practice Thanks again, Misty!
Aja
ETA: here it is with a white background, maybe this one is my fave

Last edited by Aja; 2007-03-15 at 3:24pm.
Old 2007-03-15, 6:21pm
In spite of it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyCherie View Post
(I am using CS version.... )
What is CS? Or is that stupid to ask?

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2007-03-16, 11:41am
Wandering Spirit

I don't know what it means either, but I think it's the newest version of Photoshop?

Old 2007-03-16, 1:57pm
Sandi

Does anyone know if this can even be done in Photoshop Elements?

Old 2007-03-16, 3:48pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

I don't know Beadandi, but I think Blue bird has Elements so....looks like it can be.

Bluebird - I liked the one with the white text, but maybe make the black portion of the background a hair lighter. Just so it doesn't compete too much with the text. It can still be bold - just not too dark. Great job on the banners!!!

P.S. - CS is just the latest version of Adobe products. Instead of numbers they went to letters. =)

Nothing on
Old 2007-03-16, 7:27pm

Which Photo shop is this with. I have the el cheapo one. I can do alot with it but Don't know if this would work with it.

Rose Leslie
Old 2007-03-16, 11:14pm
Wandering Spirit

Yes! It can totally be done with Photoshop Elements! All my banners are done by moi on Elements. And I was able to figure it out mostly by reading Misty's tuts and fiddling around on my own.

Old 2007-03-17, 10:55am

thanks so much for posting this info !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ro
Old 2007-03-17, 11:40am
Everybody Needs Beads!

I haven't had a whole lot of time to spend trying this out, I've had two really sick kids-but the directions are AWESOME! Thank you Misty so much!
Aja, I really like your new banner! Way to go!
P.S I have Photoshop 7.0...any idea how far behind CS that is?

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2007-03-17, 5:25pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

I believe they went from Photoshop 8 to Photoshop CS. So, only a couple versions back for 7. Most of what I did I remember being able to do back with like Photoshop 4 - so you should be good to go.

Nothing on
Old 2007-03-17, 9:15pm
Weskone

Hi, thanks Misty for all your help, it jut never crossed my mind to make a banner until you posted your tutorial... thanks goodness i have knowledge of photoshop if not it would also be a headache. Here is my banner...
Now I have to know how to attach it as a banner in auctiva eBay
Attached Images

Old 2009-06-30, 7:40am

I found this "tutorial" by searching in the archives for help with banners.

Not sure I can reply to such an "old" thread, just hoping it works so that I can give thanks for the excellent instructions for creating a banner. None of my books were so helpful. I managed to create a banner for my ArtFire site that I am pleased with. Not perfect, maybe will change it, but A LOT better than what I started with.

I am using CS3 on a Mac. Some things have changed, but not so much that I couldn't figure it out.

Old 2009-06-30, 8:32am

OMG Carol - thank you soooooooooooo much for bringing back this thread! I have been struggling big time with this...
Jenny

Old 2009-06-30, 10:06am

And thanks to Sam for the "heads up" on the wrong spelling in my banner. Wonder how long it might have been before I noticed that myself.

I am happy to say that it was a quick fix with Photoshop and a fast upload of the corrected banner.

Two sales this month from ArtFire. Pretty encouraging when there have never been more than three beads offered at a time. With so many bead artists listing, and so many great beads to choose from, it is a wonder that two different shoppers found me. Todays goal... list more beads.

Old 2010-02-20, 7:10pm

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but I found this doing a search for etsy banners. It was extremely helpful. I've been wanting to add pieces of my pictures to my banner but didn't know how. Now I do! Thanks so much for posting this.

What do you guys think?
Attached Images

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell