Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2014-08-21, 8:58am

Default Looking for a good tutorial on working with striking glass

I don't care if it is free or I ahve to pay. I am looking for a good beginners guide (In depth) to working with striking glass.

Any assistance that you can render will be greatly appreciated.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Old 2014-08-21, 12:29pm
Tweedle Dumb

Here's a good start. http://www.doublehelixglassworks.com...s_striking.pdf

My biggest tip I can offer is, let it cool longer than you think you should, then let it cool another 10 seconds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2014-08-21, 1:02pm

google striking color
Brad has a video and information
Old 2014-08-21, 1:52pm
Slogan Challenged...

Ditto on the cooling, it goes against our "keep it warm" instincts but that won't work with the striking glass.

Brad has a great video on you-tube, and there are a few others too. He said he has lost a few beads by getting them too cool!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-08-21, 3:14pm
da General

Here is one Stephanie Bonniwell and I did for Double Helix that you might find helpful:

http://envisionsf.blogspot.com/2009/...-glass_03.html

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-08-25, 12:59pm
Hey ma I'm on South Park

Start practicing by making spacer beads or just a hot gather on a rod and work it white hot.... Let it cool to below annealing which is when the glow goes away put it in a dark spot likely under the table far away from your fuel lines... Once the glow is gone bring back to the outer part of the flame where it starts getting fluffy and bring the temp back slightly above annealing while the strike is happening you might see a different type of glow I call it uranium orange.. Any how the color will now be struck the longer or more times you cool and strike you can get different effects don't over heat or the strike will go away. Reds should be struck in the kiln and most colors will change additionally after kilning temp dependent.

Marta

Old 2014-10-03, 8:00pm
What was I thinking?

Dawn is the master!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=245613

Old 2014-11-02, 8:18am

yup...i was gonna say search "raku secrets" here. it's a huge thread, detailed, FREE, and it pertains to most striking colors.