LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-01-11, 6:58am

Default Pale yellow?

Can anyone recommend a nice, pale yellow? Or suggest a formula for mixing one? So far, I've made too pale and too dark. It's a hideous waste of time, mixing glass that doesn't turn out!

Thanks,

Nolly
Old 2013-01-11, 7:49am
Angie09

How about Yellow Uranium for an opaque and maybe Kelp (I haven't use it) for a transparent?
Old 2013-01-11, 7:52am
Loving learning

There is a nice one on here:
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads...or%20chart.htm
Old 2013-01-11, 8:27am
Formerly FishBulb

Hey, what a great resource! There are all sorts of fantastic shades on there I'd never thought to try. Thank you for the link, Ellen!

Every time I see Kay/ListenUp's site I always spend hours there, poring through all the good information. Thank you Kay for taking the time to make all this!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2013-01-11, 5:46pm
Lampworkaholic!

Opal Yellow and Yellow Opalino are both nice pale pastel yellows.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-01-12, 8:28am

Thanks for that link to Kay's site. She's amazing in her ability to catalog glass effects; last I checked on her, she was doing frit, but it's been a long while.

I'm definitely going to try the 1 part ivory, 3 parts medium lemon yellow.

I use a lot of opal yellow, so I know it's not what I want, and yellow opalino, I can only imagine boiling that up while I shape a long bead to go on a coffee scoop. Those darn opalinos!

Thanks so much, everyone, for your help!

Nolly
Old 2013-01-12, 4:36pm

I love Vetrofond Banana Cream and Lemon Meringue, and also the Sunshine special, (vetrofond).
Old 2013-01-12, 5:13pm
sunscreen me baby

I agree with the Vetro banana cream and lemon meringue suggestion. But they are not the perfect solution. Banana Cream is not quite a lemony color, it's more earthy looking and you can get faint gray specks when it is used on it's own. Lemon Meringue strikes and you can get bright yellow in places where you heat quickly and run. Neither is the perfect pale yellow. I'm not sure one exists yet.

~

Old 2013-01-12, 9:32pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Opal Yellow Pale...or light, I can't remember which, but it's a nice yellow.

Old 2013-01-12, 10:20pm
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
Hey, what a great resource! There are all sorts of fantastic shades on there I'd never thought to try. Thank you for the link, Ellen!

Every time I see Kay/ListenUp's site I always spend hours there, poring through all the good information. Thank you Kay for taking the time to make all this!
Thank you so much - you make my day! I have a few more to add when I get around to it - but they're not yellows.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2013-01-13, 12:50am
Naysayer

^ I love your site.

If you don't want to mix, I use this, which needs to be updated but still helpful
http://frantznewsletter.com/color%20pallete/index.htm
Old 2013-01-17, 8:10pm
Lampworkaholic!

This one is Opal Yellow with Yellow Opalino end caps.
Attached Images

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-01-17, 8:30pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy View Post
I love Vetrofond Banana Cream and Lemon Meringue, and also the Sunshine special, (vetrofond).
Another vote for banana creme!
Old 2013-01-18, 6:07am
sunscreen me baby

Here is banana cream:
Attached Images

~

Old 2013-01-18, 9:57pm
Slogan Challenged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Here is banana cream:

YUM!

----------
Kristin ~
Old 2013-01-18, 10:55pm

Hi, Nolly! I used to mix Moretti Acid Yellow (416) with white to get a nice light opaque yellow. Used it for flower centers and petals. Have not ever found anything else that suits me. Gayl
Old 2013-01-20, 6:21am

Thanks, Gayl ... great to see you, even virtually!

I woke up this morning thinking about mixing the ivory and yellow; I'll try your recipe, too.

I really appreciate all the help!

Nolly
Old 2013-03-12, 4:46pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Quote:
Here is banana cream:
Suzy, how'd you get the banana cream that gorgeous yellow? Mine comes out a little too lemony for my taste. Also, I was playing with lemon meringue and was able to strike it to a pale creamy yellow. Hmm, now I'm wondering if I ever tried to strike banana cream.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-03-12, 5:01pm
sunscreen me baby

My lemon meringue strikes to bright lemon yellow. Maybe you have the two mixed up?

~

Old 2013-03-12, 5:45pm
Jacqueline Parkes

My banana cream never looks like that. It ends up this awful bright sickening color..............I wonder why??

Quote:
Here is banana cream:

Old 2013-03-12, 6:04pm
sunscreen me baby

ok, now I have to go check my glass to make sure...

~

Old 2013-03-12, 6:07pm
sunscreen me baby

Yes, it is definitely banana cream. I used it today for to make more of those beads pictured.

~

Old 2013-03-12, 6:10pm
sunscreen me baby

There was also an odd called yellow banana. It has a small brown core and it is not quite so pretty.

~

Old 2013-03-12, 6:15pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Oh there is the confusion, thanks.

Old 2013-03-12, 7:55pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Quote:
There was also an odd called yellow banana. It has a small brown core and it is not quite so pretty.
I have that too, and this is not it. Maybe I did get them confused. Damn, if I made a mistake keeping those sample beads straight I wonder how many other mistakes I made organizing my sample beads.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-03-14, 8:47pm

Have you looked at the Vetrofond color Sunshine Special ODD #946? It is a lovely soft yellow, not quite as dark as the sample image at Frantz. It's one of the few yellows I've found that doesn't work up streaky and is pretty smooth color.

Andrea
Old 2013-03-14, 11:09pm
I like to melt things

For some reason, mixing Coral and Ivory yields a pretty yellow. For a pale yellow, I'd do about 5 parts Ivory to one part Coral.

-
-