LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-05-16, 4:34am

Default Question about wire

Hi! I would like to make stud earrings on wire. So, for example, imagine you wanted to make bell flower stud earrings. Of course that would be silly, but you get the idea.

So, what gauge wire would be strong enough and fit the stud backs? What wire could I use that would be "non-irritating" to the skin? Where would I buy some? Is there a miracle wire that could do all that without melting at the torch?

Thanks so much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2013-05-16, 5:49am

I use stainless steel wire for headpins in different gauges. I think the heaviest one would stand up to earring backs:

Stainless steel lock wire

Be sure to file those ends really well to make sure that you don't scratch your ear!

On the other hand, I've made my beads on the end of the mandrel, using the smallest sizes on a marble mold for shaping. Then I've glued on these things:

http://www.artbeads.com/ear-0017.html

I'll be interested to see how this works out for you,

Nolly

P.S. This wire will melt in the torch, so just heat your end so that the glass will stick and then heat your glass. I've overheated the wire and had a nice flower fall in the water. I've burnt through skinny mandrels, too--all metal melts, right?

Last edited by Nolly; 2013-05-16 at 5:52am. Reason: Adding
Old 2013-05-20, 4:34am

How about Titanium? Has anyone tried it in the torch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-05-20, 10:02am

I had my tungsten and titanium mixed up in my head. I put titanium in the flame and it balled up and started dripping pretty quick.
Old 2013-05-20, 12:21pm

Oh, bummer! But thanks! I'll scratch that one off the list.

Old 2013-05-20, 7:27pm
Adrian

i have made stud bell flower earrings on sterling headpins. it's possible. just be careful not to put the sterling directly in the flame, not silly at all
adrian
Old 2013-05-21, 2:57am
Feminist Killjoy

Standard ear post gauge is 20g.
Old 2013-06-05, 4:22am

Hi. OK I was able to make what would be a stud earring on 20 gauge sterling silver without melting the wire, but not without problems.

I used what I think is an aluminum pin vice to hold the wire and the weirdest thing happened. I've made hundreds of bell flowers in this pin vice with no problem whatsoever, but somehow the sterling transferred the heat to the pin vice like crazy! It got so hot I dropped it several times. What's up with that????

Can anyone suggest a device that would hold the sterling without getting hot? Also, it would be nice if it it was longer than the 3" or 4" that the pin vice is.

I really want to make stud earrings LOL!

Thanks

Old 2013-06-05, 4:40am
Angie09

Do they HAVE to be made on the wire? You can always make the bead and then ball up the end of a sterling head pin and put it thru the hole, cut it the length for the ear post and viola...a stud earring.
Old 2013-06-05, 5:42am

Hmm, I guess you could do it that way, but I really want to make them on the wire. Thanks!

Old 2013-06-05, 11:50am
novembersfyre everywhere

I don't know what kind of pin vise you have but this one from Arrowsprings is wonderful:

http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/holding_tools.html

It's the one for $22.00.

However, I finally broke down and purchased the Carlo Dona wire holder:

http://www.spiralarts.com/products/p...DER-65p412.htm

It's out of stock right now and I think it was about $63.00 but it was so worth it! It rolls in the hand just like a rod and doesn't get hot. And you just have to push the clip to open it and dump your bell flower into the kiln.
It holds the wire really tight. When I put my glass in the bell flower press I let go of the wire holder so that the wire pulls tight against the bottom of the press and the glass levels out correctly and this wire holder holds on!

The handle is hollow so you can feed longer lengths of wire through it.
You could probably contact Spiral Arts and get on a waiting list if you want one.

Old 2013-06-05, 12:27pm

Thank you Mary Beth. Yes, just before I saw your post I wrote to Spiral arts and asked them to put me on the waiting list. Fingers crossed it won't transfer the heat from the wire to the tool. If you have time and materials, could you try it for me and let me know if it gets too hot to hold? Absolutely no pressure though

Old 2013-06-05, 3:35pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by missp_32 View Post
Thank you Mary Beth. Yes, just before I saw your post I wrote to Spiral arts and asked them to put me on the waiting list. Fingers crossed it won't transfer the heat from the wire to the tool. If you have time and materials, could you try it for me and let me know if it gets too hot to hold? Absolutely no pressure though
I'll try it with the argentium silver that I have - I was going to experiment with that anyway

Old 2013-06-05, 6:43pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I made two bellflowers with my wire holder using Argentium sterling silver. I quickly learned that you can't get silver as hot as copper. My first attempt fell off on my workbench. So I made two more being more mindful of where I was directing my flame.

The wire holder did not get the least bit hot on the parts that you touch such as the handle or the clip. I actually felt the tip where the wire is inserted and yes it does get a little hot there but not blazing hot. It worked quite well! I was using fairly short pieces of wire - around 2 inches.

I used my 14mm bell flower press as I'm not quite used to using silver wire yet so I wanted to start with a smaller mass of glass.

Old 2013-06-06, 4:10am

Thank you Mary Beth. That was fast! Hopefully Sterling silver will behave like the Argentium. Now I just have to wait for a tool to become available ... ugh.

Old 2013-06-06, 12:05pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by missp_32 View Post
Thank you Mary Beth. That was fast! Hopefully Sterling silver will behave like the Argentium. Now I just have to wait for a tool to become available ... ugh.
It should - it's just the alloy part that is a little different in Argentium sterling.
I'd be on pins and needles waiting for the tool! They were sold out when I wanted one and one day I looked and there it was!

I am so tempted to get on the list for the 20mm 8 petal bell flower though and the ear tweezers