Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-02-22, 4:36pm
Noobie

Default One more

Okay..one more problem..Im getting so frustrated..right now I would trade anything to be someone who was mechanically inclined..The hose that I have is leaking

I had to adjust the size of the picture to fit but I hope you can still see where the arrows are..Im hoping someone can tell me that the part where the red hose is meeting the brass piece is adjuststable?? Or do I need to purchase another hose?? It is loose, but it seems like I can adust if I fight w/ it to get it off the propane tank again..but before I do..I just wanted to ask....I have got blisters starting on my palm from turning the wrench so much...

help!

Old 2008-02-22, 6:01pm
William Hagy

The nut is reverse threads and is the only thing "adjustable".....if it is leaking there then you can take it to the welding shop and have it replaced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2008-02-22, 9:15pm

the regulator fitting that screws in to the propane tank does not need Teflon I believe. Any one know if that true? I know thats not what you asking. If it does, I better apply some to mine. testing for leaks after renewing my propane I never have found a problem.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-02-22, 9:31pm

Murf:
You're right. It's not supposed to have any tape of any kind. Those are brass to brass fittings and the tape can cause it to leak, I believe.

Cheri... ditch the tape. And bring your hose to a welding shop to see if they can fix it, or do what I'd do.. . Return that one to wherever you got it (with a very bad attitude) and buy a new one.

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2008-02-23, 6:22am
Noobie

I had bought the concentrator used from someone, she gave me all of the hosing on for it..I found out the reason why I got the hosing is because she couldnt get the O2 tubing off of the concentrator and I have fought and fought with it..I cant get it off either! I had wanted to take it off to bring the hosing and my torch in to the welding shop to show them what I had to get the right fittings to connect the hose to my torch..I ended up just bringing the torch and they were able to get me the right fittings, but to get this fixed Im going to have to drag the whole set up (oxy con. hoses, and propane tank) to the shop...Im sure Ill look ridicules to them, but if they can fix it I dont care.
Old 2008-02-23, 4:44pm
Gentleman of Leisure

IF hose is leaking below "crimp ferrule" it mean inner structure of hose is damaged at that point.

You can take hose to welding supply and see if the can repair end by cutting off bad section and re crimping end fitting to "new" section of hose with new crimp ferrule.

OR you can curt off crimp ferrule with a file or hacksaw, cut back hose to a fresh section and put barbed end fitting into new section of hose and apply a clamp you can get at local hardware store store.

IF hose is old and scaly and starting to shed hardened rubber "dust"... Maybe you should just replace hose.

You should ABSOLUTELY NOT have any Teflon tape at any connection on this tank and regulator. The connection are designed to be METAL TO METAL seal and if connection will not seal it is loose or damaged. TELLON tape is not a fix. See yellow arrow on picture.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-02-23 at 4:51pm.
Old 2008-02-24, 2:31pm
DSDWC

What Dale said. No teflon on this type of connection. This could be why your are having a hard time tightening the connections. It could also be causing your leak. Get rid of the teflon and try your connections again. Put some soapy water in a spray bottle. Spray it on the connections. If there is a leak it will bubble. This will also help define exactly where the leak is coming from.