Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-05-29, 11:30am
shirts

Default My Little Studio

Finally, some photos... I have an 8x10 pre-assembled kit studio and I am going to cram a lot of wonderful things in to this little studio! We rent out half of our house and have very little space in the house, so this is MY space and I am rather excited about it (and all of the sweat equity that I am putting in to it!! I will enjoy being in there all the more!).

I am feeling confident in setting up my ventilation this week, going to go to the University of Google and the College of Youtube and learn how to lay the ceramic tile for the floor on Saturday, and then start moving in my things...

After exhausting EVERY possible option, we decided the best place to put the studio was INSIDE the Big Shed (it did not block any of our sightlines to our backyard, there was already 60am of electrical running out to that building, and we had a non-refundable deposit on the building, so we couldn't just build out own little room in the Big Shed).

So here we go, photos up to now!
#1 - The pre-assembled studio still needed some assembling...
#2 - "unwrapping" my new studio
#3 - friendly neighbour helping me hang the cursed drywall
#4 - all done sanding the cursed drywall
#5 - 2 coats of "Inspiration White" - can't think of a better white for my studio! (And thank you to whoever told me about the primer + paint combo - I am much happier because of it!

Stay tuned for more photos to come... Thanks to everyone for your kind words so far!
Annie.
Attached Images

Old 2012-05-29, 11:58am
Formerly Thetabird

Looks like you are already a happy camper. Look forward to more pictures and you get it done. You're going to love it! Donna

How I lost 50 lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-05-29, 12:02pm
lissette

Hihi great picture s i now the feeling ,happy happy happy....with youre own space ,please let us see it when it s ready ...
Old 2012-05-29, 12:47pm
Salt Box Beads

Way COOOOOL!!!
Old 2012-05-29, 4:02pm

Yea!! Can't wait to see your set up. I spend lots of time lurking in the studio threads for ideas!

Jen
Old 2012-05-29, 5:54pm
shirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moushka View Post
Yea!! Can't wait to see your set up. I spend lots of time lurking in the studio threads for ideas!

Jen
Me too!!!
Annie.

PS - Thanks for all of the excitement, folks! I have to admit that right now it is kind of "meh!". When I have some stuff to show for it (ventilation, pretty decorations, etc), THEN it will be truly exciting!!
Old 2012-05-29, 6:37pm

It is exciting. I am in awe -you are getting it organized and put together so fast. Ours has taken a little over a year to put up, between work, money and life getting in the way. Also, I am at the mercy of my husband. He wanted to build it himself. This way, he knows the electrical is okay, it matches the house, etc, etc, etc - lol - actually, i think my building was practice for his future work shop. LOL
Old 2012-05-29, 7:08pm
shirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moushka View Post
It is exciting. I am in awe -you are getting it organized and put together so fast. Ours has taken a little over a year to put up, between work, money and life getting in the way. Also, I am at the mercy of my husband. He wanted to build it himself. This way, he knows the electrical is okay, it matches the house, etc, etc, etc - lol - actually, i think my building was practice for his future work shop. LOL
I am in awe about how fast I am getting it together, too!! The pre-assembled kit was really quick - and it still needs the roof, siding, and trim! My sister and her friend had to head back home, so the building construction got stalled... Thankfully, I was able to tackle the inside (cause the studio is inside the Big Shed, it is protected from the elements so I don't have to worry about it getting damaged before it is finished!). Though I did remind my sister that I need her and her friend to come back up so we can get the structure finished... We got the building up in 2 short days and need another weekend to get that finished.

As for the inside, I am fairly proud of myself! I am cutting my teeth on this project and have been figuring things out as I go. I am on extended maternity leave from my job so I have early mornings (between 5:30-7am), late evenings (7-10pm), and a husband who has taken the 2 kids for most of the past 2 weekends.

I am exhausted (didn't help that I ran a half marathon on Sunday!!) and probably not sleeping enough (cause the baby still gets me up early, even if he goes back to sleep!!). Eventually, the fuel will run out and I will be coasting on fumes, then things will get messy!!

Annie.
Old 2012-05-29, 7:13pm

Now I am really in awe - i am not any where near that busy, and much more lazy, lol. I am also really bad at DIY - again, more enthusiastic than accurate. i'd rather plan, finance, help decide layout and then move in arrange. whenever i put anything togther, i always have parts left over.

jen
Old 2012-06-03, 5:37pm
shirts

It was a busy day over here yesterday! I was bound and determined that the ceramic tile would be installed yesterday... Friday night, I got all of the supplies that I needed to lay my tiles down, only over the next 12 hours, I learned (and fully understand WHY) that I needed to add another layer of plywood to the subfloor... Sigh.
SO, off I went and got what I needed and spent the afternoon (time that I thought I was going to be laying the tile!) putting the plywood on.

Finally, at 8:30pm (yup, it was JUST starting to get dark out!), I started laying the tile! Crazy, I know! Even more crazy?? My wonderful neighbour who volunteered to help me with the drywall, came over at 9pm to check on me and ended up helping with the job! His wife came by a little later with root beer and potato chips, making for a rather enjoyable and social evening! (she kept offering to go and get beer and/or whiskey, but we decided that we were doing enough of a hack job without the booze and were probably better off without it!). By the time we were done, it was well after midnight and I finally climbed into bed at 1am!

What you see below is the floor, pre-grout (if I wake up at 5am tomorrow morning, I will do it then... If not, tomorrow night...). There are 2 spots with mis-matched tile and those will be covered by the cabinets. I am REALLY happy with how the pattern turned out and LOVING how serendipitous it was - I had 16 big tiles, and used all 16!! Phew!

Once the grout is on and dry, on go the baseboards, in go the cabinets, and THEN I will finally put the door on! (I have to admit, it has been wonderfully convenient not having to squeeze through a door!). Oh, and I suppose I should get the siding and roof on the actual building... Eventually, we will frame the studio in to the Big Shed so that it looks more "normal".
Thanks so much for everyone's enthusiasm - these are exciting times!!
Annie.

Pic #1 - cutting the plywood to add to the subfloor (I was using a circular saw - so great!!!)
Pic #2 - my floor!!
Attached Images

Last edited by shirts; 2012-06-03 at 6:53pm.
Old 2012-06-03, 5:48pm

The floor looks great! Making major progress.

Jen
Old 2012-06-03, 7:24pm
Wonder-wench

looks great, looking forward to more progress reports

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-06-04, 9:16am
tiptrinket

It is looking GREAT! Have fun!

Old 2012-06-06, 7:17pm
shirts

More progress!! Got the grout done and brought in the gorgeous base cabinets that I scored from a friend's kitchen reno!! Tonight I headed back out to the DIY store to get the baseboards and lumber for the work counter... Ordered the fan and it should be here by next week...

So very excited!!
Annie.
Attached Images

Old 2012-06-07, 3:14am

love those cabinets - and your daughter is ADORABLE. I remember when mine was young and sweet, lol. :O)
Old 2012-06-07, 7:19am
shirts

That one's actually my son!! Here is one with my daughter (she is a bit of a ham... She *might* have got that from her mother...).
Attached Images

Old 2012-06-07, 2:09pm

Oops! Also very adorable!! You are lucky to have more than one.
Old 2012-06-11, 6:21pm
shirts

Alright, another update! It was WAY harder than I thought, but I got the work counter built!! I did a little googling and made my little counter based on what I learned. I have to admit, I didn't trust that it was *actually* going to be strong, but it really is!! The Home Depot guy was laughing at me when I doubted how strong it would be! The tricky parts were screwing in on angles while balancing things and making sure they were level! AND, my drill has died (hasn't worked so much in its 10 year existence!!) so I had to use my neighbours and I was totally intimidated by it!!

I built my ventilation hood a couple of weeks ago (I know, I am keeping secrets from all of you!!) and will line it with sheet metal. I got 1 baseboard on (and got stalled when I sawed the next one 1/8th of an inch too long, using a hand saw/mitre box!! Gotta go and bother the neighbours - some more - to use his chop saw!).

Today I went and picked up paint chips for my trim and table legs - "retro avocado" was the winner!

Tomorrow I shall call the sheet metal guy, pick up the paint, and try to get the rest of the baseboards on... Waiting for the fan to arrive in the mail soon - fingers crossed that I can set up the torch SOON!!!

Happy Monday to all!
Annie.
Attached Images

Old 2012-06-12, 3:42am

Wow - you are kicking butt! looks really, really good. so happy for you! we are waiting for our fan to come in the mail also.
Old 2012-06-12, 8:46am
Salt Box Beads

It looks terrific. I have all of my supplies for our studio locked away in a 16 ft. cargo trailer and we are hoping to start on the studio in a few days..WOOHOO.

I am so glad you shared pics because now I know after looking at your pic I want to have really wide grout spaces when I put down the tile for a different look. Thank-you for sharing.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:13am

Your kiddos are adorable! Your studio is coming right along....I always love seeing what other artists are up to! Thanks for the pics.
Happy creating,
ginger
Old 2012-06-17, 5:50pm
shirts

Another productive week over here!

The fan arrived and the handy man got half-done installing it. He will be back tomorrow to finish things up (finish ventilation, put on the door, etc...).

Meanwhile I dropped my ventilation hood off at the local sheet metal guy and he lined it for me (WAY fancier than I was envisioning!!) and also made a cover for the work table... Very SNAZZY! Today, I painted out the plywood ventilation box in hope to make it blend in a big more...

I also started painting my trim (I was just SO impatient to see it that I slopped some on my only baseboard that is attached). I painted all the rest of the trim before I put it on, and got the legs of my work bench painted.

And because I am now handy, I decided to take on building my own cubby shelves for my glass storage. All the 4x4 cubbies I could find were too wide for my little space so I decided to build my own! I am rather proud of myself (I have been saying that a lot, recently!!) - they are not perfect, but for a first attempt, they are great! I still have to build a low shelf to lift them off the floor 3 inches as I don't want them sitting right on the floor. That is on tomorrow's task.

I guess I should also start hauling out my equipment from the basement... Oooooh! I am just SO EXCITED!!

Annie.
Attached Images

Old 2012-06-17, 6:14pm

you got so much done! looking great! you will be torching in no time!
Old 2012-06-17, 8:13pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

If those four boxes are your first attempt at 'cubbies' then you are indeed 'handy'. Great job!

I am wondering how the torch station in the corner will work out for you? Seems limiting on your right side. but probably not a problem if doing beads and small sculpture type stuff.

Studio is really looking nice.
Old 2012-06-18, 2:20am
shirts

Good points and question cheng076... The ventilation box is 33 in wide. It will be cozy (I should be in real estate!), but I "tried" it out and do have enough space for my little arms (I am a shorty at all of 5ft tall!). One should never say never, but I see it as HIGHLY unlikely that I will get in to sculptural stuff (big or small). For the next long while, I intend to make beads galore! If I find in that I am being inhibited, I shall have "renovate"!
Thanks for you compliments and enthusiasm, cheng076 and Jen!
Annie.
Old 2012-06-18, 9:30am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I thought I'd never do any sculpt type stuff either but as you get more experience these strange and curious ideas will start to pop into your head...
Old 2012-07-03, 8:12pm

Oh, I just found this thread! Excellent work, Ms. Shirts . I need to carve out some time to come see it in real life! Go you!

(and as you know, I have been telling you all along that you have no idea where this glass journey will take you! You even got past round beads with dots, didn't you?)
Old 2012-07-09, 1:31pm
tiptrinket

Looking Great!

Old 2012-07-10, 5:58pm
shirts

So, the Little Studio is now functional (guess I will never get the trim on and other finishing details...).

Here are some beads that I made!
Thanks so much for everyone's enthusiasm about this project! I certainly am happy with it!
Attached Images

Old 2012-07-11, 5:11am

wahooo!! yea for you!!!!