LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-07-25, 2:09pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Default Vent necessary if torching outside?

Hi, I'm considering moving my lampworking setup outside and working in the open air. Do y'all still recommend I set a ventilation system over my workbench?

Also, anyone have any ideas on how to minimize the wind affecting my flame? I'll be using a Nortel Minor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

#M-191
Old 2011-07-25, 2:10pm

No, outside with an open area, you are as well vented as anyone could get. Unless you're in a 3-sided area where the air is still, you should be okay.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2011-07-26, 3:32am
Unmedicated since '62

I torched in my greenhouse for a while, the wind drove me nuts and I was surrounded by shade mesh. I put a plastic tarp on two sides to block the wind but I still couldn't block the wind if it was too strong

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-07-26, 5:00am
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

I have been using a hothead outside because I am impatiently waiting for a studio set-up. You can't see the flame in the sun....
Old 2011-07-26, 6:14am

Aimee,
I torched outside for a long time under a tent. It was under a breeze way ( three sides) like Sue said. Fan over my shoulder to move air past me and (remove fuel that was not burned off and by products from glass) Cheap lasko box fan turned backwards to suck fumes away, especially when using silver glass and foil.
I suggest using clamps to bolt things down ( FANS) for those unexpected gusts of wind, funny how we learn to move really quick when the wind blows.

You can see the top of the tent that slopes down to sheild me from the sun so I could see the flame at the torch.

MarieAnn

Last edited by beadgirl; 2011-07-26 at 6:20am. Reason: Added pic
Old 2011-07-26, 9:31am

All good advice. Just make sure there is a breeze at your back at all times and you should be fine.
Old 2011-07-26, 10:50am
Salt Box Beads

Working at a torch outside especially a HH is like standing behind a car next to the exhaust pipe with the car running relying on just being outdoors and the breezes that may be to remove the fumes from you as your standing there.

Not really a good idea. I used a high velocity floor fan to pull the fumes away which wasn't ideal because it sounds like a jet engine and made the torch flame dance all around. That got better when I built a box around it.

I love torching outside but gave it up because of all of the distractions, like not be able to see the beads in the flame, bugs buzzing me and the flame, flame dancing around at the slightest breeze, neighbors thinking you are doing something illegal, LOL

But if you build an outside Box to go on your table and paint the surface of the desk and the back of the box a dark color you can then see to work and keep the bugs away and the hopefully stabilize your flame but then you need to bring in fresh air from behind you and have a fan pulling that away from you in front of you.

Basically to be very comfortable and safe to torch you would have a complete studio setup outside with exhausted air and replacement air without the four walls and a ceiling.
Old 2011-09-06, 10:08pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

After we moved last year we lived in a rental for about 6 months. I torched outside and the issue for me was the wind. I felt like I was always chasing the flame around.