Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-31, 7:43am

Question what do you use filigrana for?

I've got a few single rods of filigrana and can't figure out what to do with it. I've made one bead so far and it's pretty and swirly but is that it? I don't get it.
Old 2011-08-31, 7:52am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Well, a lot of people use it for stringer work. You can control the lines easier because it's thicker than a fine line of just stringer.

Vivian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-08-31, 7:56am

Disks, hollows, and if you put a bundle together it pulls out into nice flower stamen stringer. There's more I'm sure.

Old 2011-08-31, 8:05am

Maybe it's the colors I happen to have. I have a really pretty beachy type turquoise, a yellow and a bright red one.

Got this all at a local garage sale this summer.
Old 2011-08-31, 8:07am

I use the white core turquoise in a LOT of my beads. I use it for foliage and vines in my florals. I pull it down to stringer size.

Old 2011-08-31, 8:14am
honorary bead lady

I used some for a goddess vessel (which DeAnne now owns)
Old 2011-08-31, 8:41am

That's a pretty cool lady you've made!

Hmm, makes me think I should just USE it and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip to pull it into stringer - things to try this long weekend! Yay
Old 2011-09-01, 12:10am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Originally filigrana was made for glass blowing, you are supposed to cut it into same legth of canes, and place is on a kiln washed metal plate in a desired pattern and warm it up in the gloryhole, you will get stripes in your piece. Take it out occasionally to tighten it up, so you wont have any gaps between the canes for air to leak out, and finally wrap it around the maria on the pipe. With jacks cut the tip, and back to the cloryhole to blow something out of it.
But that was just the original way of using it... the earlier comments about pulling it first to stringer is the ultimate adaptation to the lampworking! This way you will get thin stringer work without the color bleeding and spreading, since it has already been encased. It has also kinda cool look to it, since it looks more like a vine than just a line. The encasing gives it a look, like it would be floating on the glass. Just go for it, you might just fall in love with filigrana!
Old 2011-09-01, 12:16am
Unmedicated since '62

Tentacles
Vines
Ribbons
Stamens

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-09-01, 12:48am
Entropy increasing....

My husband uses it for hollows. I use it to make DNA twisties.

Old 2011-09-01, 10:10pm

To make your own latticino! Follow the same process as twisties using 3 or more stripes of filigrana.

Dori

Well behaved women seldom make history ~ Laura Thatcher Ulrich
Old 2011-09-04, 4:10pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
Originally filigrana was made for glass blowing, you are supposed to cut it into same legth of canes, and place is on a kiln washed metal plate in a desired pattern and warm it up in the gloryhole, you will get stripes in your piece. Take it out occasionally to tighten it up, so you wont have any gaps between the canes for air to leak out, and finally wrap it around the maria on the pipe. With jacks cut the tip, and back to the cloryhole to blow something out of it.
But that was just the original way of using it... the earlier comments about pulling it first to stringer is the ultimate adaptation to the lampworking! This way you will get thin stringer work without the color bleeding and spreading, since it has already been encased. It has also kinda cool look to it, since it looks more like a vine than just a line. The encasing gives it a look, like it would be floating on the glass. Just go for it, you might just fall in love with filigrana!
Just watched an episode of How It's Made that showed some Canadian glassblowers making and using Filigrana & Latticino. Pretty cool.

Old 2011-09-07, 9:55am

Shawnette, I saw the same episode. I love that show.
Old 2011-09-07, 9:58am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Im a know how geek... I love that show too! Even when they are making something super simple like plastic bags or what not, I still find myself glued on the screen. Funny how such monotonic voice and pure information can be so enchanting!
Old 2011-09-07, 10:02am

The white core filligrana is my favorite, because it has such a sharp definition when pulled even very fine. When you are making twisties or whatever with it, make sure you seal any cut ends with clear so it doesn't leak out and devitrify all over your bead. Cuz that's just plain ugly
Old 2011-09-11, 8:22pm

Ribbon Hearts
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2018-08-10, 4:39pm

I would sure love to know how to use this stuff! I see the point about stingers and making it easier to draw, etc... but for them to mass produce it, I feel like I'm missing something!
Old 2018-08-11, 3:36pm

They make fun clams. Make two disk beads close together and join on one side. You can add eyes. when I made them into pendents or earrings I would string a pearl in the middle.

Old 2018-08-11, 7:14pm
dances with ideas...

Fun idea, Kate!

Honey, try making latticino. That’s my favorite. The other uses mentioned above are also great—I am going to try some of them out. If you haven’t used it before, keep in mind that it’s shocky.

Old 2018-08-12, 8:41am
Shelarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey View Post
I would sure love to know how to use this stuff! I see the point about stingers and making it easier to draw, etc... but for them to mass produce it, I feel like I'm missing something!
I make disc beads en masse which are sewn on my other projects.

Name:  45CBC9EC-437A-4B94-9594-05C12006B500.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  52.4 KB