Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Calls for Entries, etc.

Calls for Entries, etc. -- Calls for Entries, Contests, Exhibits, etc.

Old 2008-04-17, 7:46pm

Default Eye Bead Fundraising exhibition in Adelaide, Australia

Hi folks,

I'm currently arranging an exhibition to raise funds for an eye clinic in the tiny Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan for a friend who is an optometrist here in South Australia.
Andy and a friend went on a cycling holiday to Bhutan in March this year and Andy was dismayed at the amount of treatable eye disease within the population and came back here determined to raise the funds (somehow) to pay for a clinic so he could regularly visit the country to help treat the problems.
We regularly meet at a T-Bar in the Adelaide Central Market on a Saturday morning along with a group of artists of various talents.
I suggested I create a range of eye beads for pendants which Andy could sell in his rooms to raise money but a few days later came up with a better idea.
With so many lampwork beadmakers around the globe these days if we could get beaders to make just one feature bead depicting an eye (or eyes) and donate these to our cause and I'm setting up an exhibition of these beads with all money raised going to the project.
We've settled on the title "An Eye for an Eye - Let There Be Sight" for the project - and for the exhibition "The Eyes Have It - Beauty is in the Eye of The Beholder"

Already we have beaders on Wetcanvas signing up for this - but we'd like to broaden the field and get more artists from around the globe participating in this wonderful project.

I can be contacted via woodart@woodart.com.au
Cheers
woodart
BTW The beads do not need to be accurate depictions of eyes - we're anticipating any bead that has an eye as part of the decoration.
They can be animal eyes - realistic, funky, amusing... the skies the limit - or should I say - "the 'eyes' the limit!" Marbles, pendant beads or single beads acceptable ..
Cheers, In anticipation of a good roll call!
Old 2008-04-17, 10:04pm
I speak Murrini!

Hey Wood!

What a great Eye-dea...ha! (Sorry, eye couldn't resist!) So, is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

If so, eye can send some...Please PM me and let me know where to ship - OK?

Best of luck and God bless you and your wonderful efforts!
DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2008-04-17 at 10:11pm.
Old 2008-04-25, 11:22am
Always smiling, again.

I would love to be of help, I sent an email to you. Hope to hear from you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-06-12, 4:54pm
Glass Lover

Hi Woodart,

What a wonderful project!

Is there a website we can go to for futher details please? Will the collected works be available for purchase at some point? Will the exhibit travel around Australia/elsewhere?
I'm sure lots of us would love to see the goodies!

Thanks!
Old 2008-06-16, 12:19am
FreeAssociatesVeryFreely

i love making eyes.. i have made one the same colors as my own eyes, but small enough to fit into my ear, peeking out...i have silenced a few children in grocery stores by gesturing Shhh, while pushing the hair away from my ear to expose the staring eye peeking out....
will respond further tomorrow,.. time to rest my eyes now...

Old 2008-06-20, 11:15pm
Melting since 2006

Hey any update Ainslie???

Old 2008-07-20, 9:50am
Always smiling, again.

I had sent an eyeball to her around last month. I did get an email thanks.
Strange though that she hasn't checked this forum for a long time. I will send her an email.

Old 2008-07-20, 6:26pm

Default Eye Bead Exhibition

[quote=theglasszone;1800545]Hey Wood!

What a great Eye-dea...ha! (Sorry, eye couldn't resist!) So, is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

Eye can go one better!!!

Any bead depicting an eye is fine for this exhibition! The more varied the more interest we're going to attract for the public to see what can be done with glass and how talented we beadmakers are!

More importantly, the more likely the public will be in purchasing more than one bead, with the proceeds going ALL to the setting up of the clinic in Bhutan and the equipping it with the necessary equipment and more importantly the lenses to allow these people to see properly.

The exhibition will be at the end of October but I'd like to have the beads here in Adelaide, Australia by the end of September (to allow time for preparing the display modules and to put together a catalogue)
We'd like to have a brief resume about each artist taking part, contact details ie URL and email address so that people who come to the exhibition and those who purchase your bead can see what else you make and hopefully place some orders!

I'm not in this to any financial gain - I saw a need and thought of a way to help raise some funds towards the project.
We'd love to see your beads on LE or WC and hopefully this will encourage others to join in -

The address for delivery is:

Ainslie Pyne
PO Box 381,
Burnside, 5066
South Australia
AUSTRALIA.

emailL woodart@woodart.com.au
Cheers
Ainslie aka woodart on LE - and Koala on Wetcanvas.
Keep those torches blazing !!!!!
Old 2008-07-20, 8:34pm

Default Travelling Exhibition ....

Hi Barbara,
The beads will be for sale here at the exhibition in Adelaide - as for a travelling exhibition. Hmmmmmmm, food for thought! Last time I was connected with a travelling exhibition I arranged a national (Australian) exhibition of woodcarvings etc. here in Adelaide in the early 90s featuring endangered flora and fauna of OZ and that exhibition then travelled to Christchurch NZ to be included in an exhibition there featuring NZ endangered wildlife.
So - anything's possible!
Cheers
Woodart
Old 2008-07-20, 8:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janel Dudley View Post
I had sent an eyeball to her around last month. I did get an email thanks.
Strange though that she hasn't checked this forum for a long time. I will send her an email.
Hi Janel,
I had a major problem with my email program. downloaded a newer version but it wouldn't install so had to take the computer in dry dock for a week to sort out the problem and have the program re-installed.

As for a website for the beads - so far I have only the one bead (Janel's) but will add a few pages to my own website as soon as I get more eye beads.

See other replies I have left for contact and mailing details.
Cheers
Woodart
Old 2008-07-20, 9:24pm

Wow how cool Adelaide ive been there. Ive heard nice people come from there so id better find something to send

Can we get your website addy or am i just blind

regards
Andrew Watherston

back up and running. Been months so needs major work. (updated 12/06 )

Last edited by Andrew; 2008-07-20 at 9:25pm. Reason: me no spel wel
Old 2008-08-07, 3:50pm

Default Re the Eye for an Eye Glass Bead Exhibition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Wow how cool Adelaide ive been there. Ive heard nice people come from there so id better find something to send

Can we get your website addy or am i just blind

regards
Andrew Watherston
Hi Andrew,
No you're not blind! I've been snowed down with other (non glass) work which had to be finished before an annual awards night in Sydney.
Now that is over and done with I can concentrate on the exhibition details.

I only have the one bead here so far - so am waiting on more before we set up a website for the exhibition.

Andy has been talking about the exhibition and the project to build the eye clinic in Bhutan with other associates and friends and as a result there are more artists wanting to contribute a piece towards the cause - at this rate we'll run out of space in the big hallway at Andy's rooms - we didn't want to have to hire an exhibition venue because ALL funds raised are going towards the clinic but we may have to seek a larger venue.
Do please post pictures of your beads on the forum and give a short account of where the bead is going - that way others might be tempted to join in!!
I'm also hoping to get the beads here by the end of September so that we can produce catalogues and also post them on a website.
We'll need a half page on each artist's background and contact details so the public can contact you if they want to purchase other work direct from you - and a website where they can see more of your work too!

I re-iterate - I will not be having any financial gain from this project - I saw it as a very worthy way for me to contribute some of my art work and my organisational abilities!

Cheers
Ainslie aka Koala on Wetcanvas and woodart here on LE etc.
Old 2008-08-08, 9:35pm

Hi again Guys,
Last night I went to a dinner arranged at a restaurant by the couple who are providing the venue for the eye for an eye exhibition. There were about 30 guests at the dinner and all are very excited about the exhibition of glass beads depicting eyes - sales should be good and the publicity will certainly help those who are contributing with donations of beads.
The invitations to the opening night are being printed now so please guys, get those beads on their way to OZ - so far I only have the one bead in a safe place awaiting its companions!

Cheers
Ainslie.
Old 2008-08-25, 10:24pm

Greetings again folks,

So far two beads have arrived in Adelaide safely. Both were wrapped in two lots of bubblewrap and posted airmail in a small padded bag.
Andy has been telling patients and friends about the exhibition and folk are lining up to be invited to the opening. He also has other artists offering to donate an 'eye' related artwork to also be included in the show.
There is to be a "public choice" competition for the eye beads (not the tag-ons)
The winning bead maker will receive a small handcrafted wooden jewellery box with a piece of Bhutanese silver jewellery inside.
So, as 'they' say - you've got to be in it, to win it!"
Still time to send in your intention of joining in the show.
Cheers
Ainslie
aka koala on Wetcanvas and woodart here on LE.
Old 2008-08-26, 3:58pm

Default Show me your and I'll show you mine

Hi Ainslie

Here are a few pics of my "eye" beads...
I found an "eye" tutorial on LE by Merryfool (?)... and used her work as a basis for making these.

I am planning to put some of these bead together as finished jewellery as well as sending you some singles... finished pieces always bring in bigger $$$.

Come on everyone...show us what you got!!!

Last edited by artyfacts; 2008-08-26 at 8:38pm.
Old 2008-08-26, 4:05pm

Opps... forgot to add this one!

These ones were inspired by the "evil" eye talismans that ward off evil spirits and bad vibes...

Each one is placed on a different coloured base and has its own meaning..

Liz

Old 2008-08-28, 1:52pm
Creatrixie

Talking "Looking" Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artyfacts View Post
Hi Ainslie

Here are a few pics of my "eye" beads...
I found an "eye" tutorial on LE by Merryfool (?)... and used her work as a basis for making these.

I am planning to put some of these bead together as finished jewellery as well as sending you some singles... finished pieces always bring in bigger $$$.

Come on everyone...show us what you got!!!
Wow, Liz! Those look GREAT! I'm so pleased that someone has made such good use of my tutorial! Neat-o!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2008-08-28, 10:57pm

Thanks Mary

Your tutorial was fun and very easy to use....

Old 2008-08-29, 6:02am
Mary Lockwood

I can commit to 5 eye beads for the fundraiser. I've never made an eye bead before though, so I hope they are ok. I'll be getting on the torch later today and will let you know how it goes. If I can't get it together, I can modify my frogs' eyes and send 5 of those...would that be ok? Maybe I could make frog beads with little glasses on. LOL

Eye'll come up with something for sure.

~~Mary

Old 2008-08-29, 6:31am
Mary Lockwood

I just typed 'eye bead' into google looking for inspiration and look at what I found! These are supposed to be worn as protection against the evil eye. I thought they were cool inspiration to take the torch.

http://www.evileyebead.com/Evil_Eye_Bead_Gallery.htm

http://www.evileyestore.com/

When trying something new, I like to see how a painter would approach it, so I searched this:

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_...?story_id=3165

And finally, some real life inspiration...there is nothing better.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...b&fr=yfp-t-501

Hope that helps someone else too!

~~Mary

Old 2008-08-30, 2:58pm

Thanks for doing the research Mary M.

...more places to look for inspiration now.

Liz

Old 2008-09-06, 10:00pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for posting the pictures of your work! I've received just 2 beads to date (September 7th) and feeling a little nervous despite having had around 50 or so people signing in for the exhibition. I know we have a month and a bit for all the beads to be in but its fingernail biting time as we are beginning to work out the best way to display the collection.
Other artists Andy has mentioned the exhibition to have offered to do their own renditions of eyes - in paintings, and other media - but the people's choice prize for the favourite eye bead will only be for the glass eye beads you guys are sending in.
We have a hand crafted native Australian timber jewellery box with a piece of Bhutanese silver jewellery in it as the prize. (I won't be in the running seeing I'm organising it but I am preparing something for the display!!!)

Keep those flames burning!
Cheers
Woodart
Old 2008-09-07, 9:31am
Always smiling, again.

HI Ainslie,
when was the cutoff date again?

Thank you,
Janel

Old 2008-09-14, 3:06pm

Default Cut off Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janel Dudley View Post
HI Ainslie,
when was the cutoff date again?

Thank you,
Janel
Hi Janel,

So long as we know we are going to have the beads in time for the exhibition - ie details sent earlier so we can plan the display units -
the beads can get here by the end of the 2nd week in October 2008 we can include them in the exhibition.

Of course, the sooner we have them, the better the presentation will be!
We discussed the invitation list for the opening 'bash' at the T-Bar on Saturday and looks like we're in for quite a party!

So folks, get those beads in so we can show them off to their best advantage!!!

Thanks for all your support!
Cheers
woodart (Ainslie)
ps address for sending the beads
Eye for An Eye,
PO Box 381, BURNSIDE, SOUTH AUSTRALIA , AUSTRALIA 5066
Old 2008-09-19, 7:12pm

Hi again Guys,

Guess some of you are wondering about the lack of off list email updates on this exhibition but I haven't been able to send emails through my server because the site is having problems - looks like some extremely clever hackers might have inflitrated as they have a notice on their site that they have a team of engineers working on the problem and there are hourly updates as to progress. Must be really serious as its over 24 hours and still nothing working.
Cheers
Ainslie.
ps the invitations are ready for posting to those coming to the opening of the Eye for An Eye Exhibition - they're really enticing!
The invitation to the opening list is getting longer! So many people want to see what's on offer so please get those beads here on time - and the bios!
Ainslie.

Last edited by woodart; 2008-09-20 at 3:30pm. Reason: update on server situation - still no server for email so private messages on LE would be great, thanks woodart.
Old 2008-09-20, 3:32pm

Hi guys,
Still nothing from my server but I'm still able to get onto websites and leave messages so if you have info regarding your contributions or questions about the exhibition please leave messages here rather than trying to email me - fingers crossed they fix the problem soon.
Cheers Ainslie.
Old 2008-09-21, 3:24pm

Default Great News!

Hi folks,
I'm back up and running with a huge heap of emails to go through. The server is releasing them a few at a time - which is frustrating when I'm waiting on so many replies!
Hope all is well with you all ?
Cheers
Ainslie.
Old 2008-09-23, 5:41am
Mary Lockwood

I finished up my 5 beads last night. I can post pictures if you want to see them before I ship. They are my very first eye beads so maybe you want to jury me in? LOL

~~Mary

Old 2008-09-23, 6:07am

Default Eye for an Eye Exhibition Adelaide Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I finished up my 5 beads last night. I can post pictures if you want to see them before I ship. They are my very first eye beads so maybe you want to jury me in? LOL

~~Mary
Hi Mary,

Put me out of my misery and please give us a preview of your beads!!!
I made my first three this afternoon too - haven't had time to take pictures but promise to post them here tomorrow (Wednesday here in OZ)
I decided to try making a tiger eye and with the help of Sara LeGrande I'm quite pleased with these first attempts.

Months ago I made some tiger striped lentil beads which I worn a few times but someone grabbed at them one day and the wire broke at the clasp junction - not a good advertisement for those clamplike clasps that have the coiled tube inside the two prongs of the loop - as I hadn't really used the beads all that many times -
So I've decided to remove the middle bead and replace it with this tiger eye bead.
More tomorrow folks,
Cheers
Ainslie
Old 2008-09-23, 11:07pm

Here's the bead I've made for the exhibition - thanks to Sara LaGrande for her helpful hints !
I was heating the bead too much and ending up with a molten mass of colour before she put me on the right track.
I am trying to decide if I'll make a replica and use them as earrings or just replace the middle lentil in the tiger striped necklace for this eye bead. I think if I do this it needs to be a bigger bead?

Suggestions welcome folks!
Cheers
woodart.