AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2014-05-25, 3:52am

Default Multiple torches to one propane tank

hello,
I need to run 3 Minor torches off of one propane tank using a splitter. I need to be able to run either 1, 2, or 3 at a time so must be able to cap the other ports. Is this just regular plumping HW that I need? And, is this correct: First I install the splitter then on each leg I put a regulator and flashback arrestor followed by a quick connect? Should plumber's tape be used on the connections?

Because of where this will be located I have to store the tank in a "fireproof" cabinet. Any advice on where I can get one at a good price? The tank is just the regular short BBQ style.

Thanks!
Michele
Old 2014-05-25, 5:13am
state-eternal change

Michele, You should probably have a manifold type system. Plumber's tape is needed on certain types of fittings, not on others, and it needs to be the yellow kind (for propane) not the white.

Tanks larger than 5 lbs need to be outside. God forbid something goes wrong, you probably wouldn't get anything from your insurance. Go with a licensed gas fitter for installing safely and properly. Yes, it's more money, but this is not a bic lighter you're dealing with either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-05-25, 6:33am
Gentleman of Leisure

For ultimate safety all tanks should be outside. Period. But in some commercial/industrial setting its is legal to have small tanks inside.... Check local fire codes.....

A manifold system is probably what you need and it can be made up from black iron pipe and using readily available valves and fittings usually sourced from welding supply sources...

Western Enterprises comes to mind..... The are major manufacturer of brass fitting for welding industry and their products are retailed in many welding supply and i-net sources...

http://westernenterprises.com/enterprises/

Teflon tape is typically used on tapered (NPT- National Pipe Thread) threads and NOT used on any straight cut thread the depend on a metal to metal contact (propane tank connections) for sealing..

Though yellow Teflon tape is "gas rated" its not really a absolute, plain white Teflon tape is same chemical compound as yellow and is quite acceptable... Also its not actually used as a"sealer" its a actual a thread lubricant and allows one to apply more torque to fittings and get a better seal on thread to thread contact... IF you have poor performance or problems applying tape, plain old "pipe dope" is acceptable....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2014-06-06, 10:04am

I bought a pair of splitter "T" valves from Mountain Glass Arts. I can now run two torches from one propane tank and one concentrator (10 LPM). You would need two sets of these to run 3 torches.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2014-06-09, 8:02pm

You can get different multi manifolds at most welding supply retailers. And if you need to disconnect torches they also have caps to cap off the unused ports. Very easy. Have fun
Old 2014-06-14, 1:30pm
Dix Harrison

Arrow Springs has beautiful manifold systems that you can configure to any arrangement you want. They are not expensive and work like a dream. I use manifolds for six torches. I cap the ports we are not using at the time.

There is one manifold for oxygen and a separate one for propane. I am so glad I got them. I felt it was far better (and safer) than assembling them myself...and BTW...in my case...less expensive, too. Please go take a look!
Old 2014-06-14, 4:03pm
Pyromaniac

Mountain Glass Arts helped my set up my multiple torch system and even drew out a plan so I could hook everything up! Yes use the white tape on all the connection threads and soapy water to check for leaks after (I know you know this).

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2014-06-14 at 4:05pm.
Old 2014-06-15, 6:19am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
Mountain Glass Arts helped my set up my multiple torch system and even drew out a plan so I could hook everything up! Yes use the white tape on all the connection threads and soapy water to check for leaks after (I know you know this).
Yes and no.... IF the treads are NPT (National Pipe Thread) or tapered thread use a sealer, if thread are straight cut such as on regulators no... Sealers will only create a problem on threads/connections designed for metal to metal contact for a seal...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2014-06-16, 12:16pm

for small torches or at least small volumes of fuel use tees after the reg should be fine, I just got a tee for before the reg from mountain glass arts so I can regulate the fuel to both Nikki's torch and mine, we where finding her flame was dropping when I was using the center fire on my torch.

#C-151

Tags
multiple torches, propane, splitter