Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-09-18, 5:55pm

Default Best Browns for Critters.

I need some advice. I'm making some critters for BOC need to find some good browns. I don't often use brown so I have a pretty limited supply. Lions, dogs, etc. I'm going to place an order so I'm hoping you've got some suggestions. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-09-18, 6:41pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I use Effetre Sage Green a lot - it looks like cocoa brown, not green.

It turns white-ish in the flame, but goes back to brown when it cools. Great for teddy bears and ethnic faces.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2015-09-18, 7:11pm
Corgi Cult Member

I like ASK silver cinnamon for squirrels, dogs, lions, hedgehogs and armadillos. Not sure what the Kugler equivalent name is, but I understand there is one. I'm still working off my ASK stash.

Last edited by artwhim; 2015-09-18 at 7:15pm.
Old 2015-09-18, 7:27pm
Loving learning

Does it really have silver in it? I ask because of the "no metals" thing, unless they're encased (for BOC) but I love the look. I might have to get some of the Kugler just to have in my palette!
Old 2015-09-18, 8:28pm
Slogan Challenged...

Reichenbach 104 caramel is a great midtone too, don't have any pics sorry The eff browns mix well with ivory if you want something streaky. Great for acorns.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-09-18, 8:58pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Does it really have silver in it? I ask because of the "no metals" thing, unless they're encased (for BOC) but I love the look. I might have to get some of the Kugler just to have in my palette!
I'm not sure, hopefully someone else will know. I've never worked with it like a "silver" glass, but that doesn't mean it isn't.

Old 2015-09-19, 6:07am

If you'll see CIM Moccasin, it seems to be very realistic for animals, kinda toffee, tasty light brown. http://www.creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=343
Old 2015-09-19, 9:01am

Great colors! Anybody know of a dealer that carries most of them in one place? I really don't want to order all over and incur so many shipping charges.

I never would have known sage green is more brown so thanks bunches for that, Sharon. And that Ask silver cinnamon is gorgeous but I'm with Eileen, somewhat leery of it for BOC.

I have effet brown special and dark brown special. Dark brown is too red for what I need. The regular brown is OK but I would like to expand my palette. The Reich sounds great, Kristin, and I do love their glass but am unwilling to place an order with them til I can make it larger which I can't do right now.

Katia I will for sure look at Moccasin, it may be a keeper.

Thanks!

Old 2015-09-19, 9:02am

AND, I forgot to mention what a cute Clydesdale, Sharon! The squirrel is adorable, Kathy!