No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-11-25, 9:54am
No Longer an LE Member

Default "dirty glass"

I am a brand new bead maker. I am using a Fireworks torch with propane gas. The problem I am having is that my clear glass keeps coming out discolored "yellowish" and it has black streaks in it. I am sure if my clear glass is having these problems I am making a long list of mistakes that just are not showing up in my colored glass. Can anyone help me with these clear glass issues? Thank you in advance.
Old 2005-11-25, 10:00am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Are you cleaning the glass before you use it in the torch? I wipe the rods down with alcohol/water mix or a Windex wipe - let them air dry completely before flaming.

If your propanexygen ratio isn't right you can also get some soot. I don't have a Fireworks torch so not much help with "settings" - bet someone else can help with that one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-11-25, 10:01am
*glass spaz*

Are you using bulk propane? (sorry, I'm a HH person, so I am not familiar with the FW set up). One thing may be that you need a cleaner fuel and may want to get a cannister of MAPP or Chemtane instead. Another thing may be you just need to work further out in the flame so that your colours aren't muddied by the Propane. I understand your pain. Getting clear to melt in the first place takes forever, then to have it get yellowed and streaky SUCKS! Good luck, I hope you find an answer that works for you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-11-25, 10:42am

Hello,

I used the fireworks torch for a year on Mapp gas - I think its a cleaner burning fuel than the propane - then make sure you work further out and you should be okay!

Shauna
Old 2005-11-25, 11:39am
Floral Obsessed

These tips are all great! Also, double-check that the air intake windows at the base of the metal burner tube are fully open. That will help your gas to combust more completely and be cleaner.
Old 2005-11-25, 12:53pm
No Longer an LE Member

Thank you for all the replies, thank you for sharing your hard earned and learned information. I will try MAPP gas, cleaning my glass, ensuring the air intake is fully open and make sure I work further out in the flame. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the info. I have only recently started beading and only recently found this site. I have benefited greatly already.
Old 2005-11-27, 6:37pm
Fight glass with FIRE

I'd change torch and buy a Hot Head instead. I've used the fireworks torch when I took my first lessons and it sucks big time. I'm also not sure but I think they are discontinued also. They don't last long and aren't hot enough,they make melting glass a pain in the butt. If you have the $$ you should look to buy a Hot Head which is pretty much the same price range and it will really give you a better time with what you are trying to accomplish. Switch to Mapp gas which burns hotter or buy bulk propylene which is basically the same thing.

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2005-11-28, 11:45pm
More ideas than talent

Could be you just need to turn the flame down. I'm using an HH on bulk propane and I couldn't keep any transparent colour clean until I eventually bought a dvd of someone demonstrating on a hot head and realised I had the flame turned up way too high.

Old 2005-11-29, 9:22am
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendbill
Could be you just need to turn the flame down. I'm using an HH on bulk propane and I couldn't keep any transparent colour clean until I eventually bought a dvd of someone demonstrating on a hot head and realised I had the flame turned up way too high.
Things that make you go "hmmmm..." I bet that is my problem!!!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2005-11-30, 12:43am

Sounds like smutz from the wrong mix. I use propane and oxy and I only get that when the oxy is running out.
Old 2005-11-30, 6:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendbill
That was my problem too! I got dark streaks in my light colors. I found a post by Dale M. on WC about adjusting the flame on a HH. He said to turn the gas up until the flame doesn't change anymore, then turn it down until the inner cone becomes more defined and the color of the flame becomes slightly darker. The color change can be difficult to see. Then you work about 2 inches beyond the tip of the inner flame. This did it for me---no more dark streaks!
Judi_B
Another newbie
Old 2005-11-30, 8:43am
No Longer an LE Member

Problem solved! Thank you all for your help. With the exception of buying a different torch and using MAPP gas (because I can't really afford either) I tried all the suggestions. Each one seemed to help a little bit but the solution was to turn down my flame. It was only a small adjustment but I found that if I turned my flame up as high as it would go and then back it down just a bit I was able to get clear, streakfree glass. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!