Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2009-08-20, 1:22pm
Type ZZZ personality

1. Clothing
2. pajamas for pajama jam
3. bathing suit (for hotel pool/jacuzzi)
4. light jacket (it can get chilly)
5. Pills/vitamins
6. Makeup, shampoo, toiletry stuff
7. Closed toed shoes
8. spray bottle of lysol (used for spraying surfaces and fixtures in your hotel
room/condo. It sucks to catch a cold from the last guest. Learned this trick
from a world traveler friend of mine).
9. Basic first aid kit. Burn cream, band aids, something to help you sleep,
allergy meds, flu meds (in case), cough meds, headache meds, lavender oil.
10. Didy or boro glasses
11. Tools for classes (see list of classes for the tools you need)
LABEL ALL YOUR TOOLS with your name. Other items as well if you
might leave them on a table or something.
12. mask for classes using frit
13. Fanny pack or other small bag for your tools. This way it's easier to
carry them around with you.
14. Trade beads (I bring about 60) along with little baggies and business cards to enclose (or a piece of paper with your name on it)
15. Vendor gifts (2 beads usually)
16. Gift item for auction
17. Money for auction (checkbook/cash)
18. notarized letter
19. directions to event
20. address book to get info from new friends
21. notebook and pens
22. cell phone AND charger
23. camera AND CHARGER and an extra memory card if necessary
24. refillable water bottle
25. Extra suitcase for purchases (no, I am NOT kidding about this one.
Usually, I throw a zipper duffel bag in, and my clothes go in there on the
return journey, leaving my suitcase free for purchases AND the stuff I make
during the event. You'll be surprised how much room this stuff takes up).
26. Glass rod storage travel container (these are AWESOME)
Here's some links to tubes that can work:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46477
https://store.opusframing.com/sagro/...&category=1800
http://www.artcoinc.com/storage_and_travel_tubes.php
http://www.fineartbyrocio.com/tools.html
27. Wrist rests, or creation station! Special marver if you need it. Anything to
make your work area more comfortable.
28. Hat using glass for Hat contest, great prize!
29. Hair ties and cotton clothes for hot shop.
30. Glow in the dark anythings for open torch nights!
31. Sheets and towels (those who are staying in the rental house)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2009-08-20, 1:31pm
Type ZZZ personality

Default Trip to Glass Alchemy in Portland, pre-GlassStock

I'm going to post this in a couple of places so more people can see it:

I talked to Jodi Grimmet at Glass Alchemy about visiting the factory and she requested that we all come at the same time, instead of all different times.

The tour is Tuesday, Sept 1, around 10am. They will show us around and if you pre-order any glass, they can have it ready for you.

If anyone else wants to go to GA and check out where that awesome boro glass is made, please let me know so I can give Jodi and Susan a headcount.

Their web site is http://www.glassalchemy.com

Last edited by rusticstudio; 2009-08-20 at 1:35pm.
Old 2009-08-21, 7:30am
Master Procrastinator

OK, so I know we need closed shoes for torching, but are there any specific requirements about wearing long pants? Are capris or shorts OK? How about shirts? Can we wear short sleeves if we want to? I know it's been suggested to wear layers, but I'm just trying to clarify if there are any specific rules about clothes. I'm thinking it'll probably be pretty hot inside with all those torches going.

Old 2009-08-22, 7:35am
Wooohooo,GS!

Good morning Lea and all! You do not need closed toed shoes for torching (I hear that yippee!!!) ONLY for the hot shop! Shorts are your risk in hot shop too, not really a good idea with the possible (and likely) drooling of hot glass! I wear shorts through most of it, some years it is just too hot not to, well for a coastie it is, besides teaching I do a lot of running around I used to live in Vegas (UGH! I hated it!!!!) and got used to 110 all the time...now 85 seems HOT, lol!

We would prefer you wear only cotton at event....safer. Shorts, capris, sandals, all at your risk but we all wear them!

Hope that helps.....see you all soon!
Hugs deb

Old 2009-08-22, 7:39am
Wooohooo,GS!

Also want to let you know update letter will be coming out next Wed with last minute info, make sure you read/print it for reference.
If you will not be available next Wed to read it please make arrangements to have someone send you the last update!
deb

Old 2009-08-22, 9:46am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I'd like to add to the common sense post here. I'd also advise against
low cut t-shirts (cleavage is a hot glass magnet) and other items that
expose a lot of skin. Remember, it's not just YOUR skills that we're talking
about here - but the skills of a WHOLE table of people. Some of the classes
are more challenging glass wise, and in some cases there was a LOT of
glass popping all over the place. So even though YOU torch in a low cut
shirt, your neighbor might be the one with the shaky hands and the popping
glass skills.

I still have a nice burn on my wrist when someone (she who will not be
named) reached across me with a hot mandrel and branded me (I guess
that means we're engaged or something).

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb c View Post
Good morning Lea and all! You do not need closed toed shoes for torching (I hear that yippee!!!) ONLY for the hot shop! Shorts are your risk in hot shop too, not really a good idea with the possible (and likely) drooling of hot glass! I wear shorts through most of it, some years it is just too hot not to, well for a coastie it is, besides teaching I do a lot of running around I used to live in Vegas (UGH! I hated it!!!!) and got used to 110 all the time...now 85 seems HOT, lol!

We would prefer you wear only cotton at event....safer. Shorts, capris, sandals, all at your risk but we all wear them!

Hope that helps.....see you all soon!
Hugs deb

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-08-25, 9:19am
Wooohooo,GS!

Very good info Karen! Yes, we want to make sure everyone is comfortable but really, there is a bit of hot glass always flying somewhere

We do have our wonderful nurse Jill but hopefully all we will need from her are hugs!

Please also be mindful of your neighbors in classes and ALWAYS keep your eyes on the HOT end of things Sorry you got it Karen!
Hugs deb

Old 2009-08-25, 10:57am
Type ZZZ personality

She claims that was me, but I don't think so.

Old 2009-08-25, 11:17am
Happy 10 a.m.!

I've been hearing alot about Glass Stock and I'm wondering if anyone can go or if you have to be specifically invited. I'd love to attend but can't really find any info on when, where, how much, etc. Can someone fill in the details for me or direct me to the info? Thanks so much!

Mega Minor w/propane, tanked oxy and humor
Old 2009-08-25, 11:57am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticstudio View Post
She claims that was me, but I don't think so.
B*tch - You KNOW it was you that branded me. Now I'm yours forever.

Old 2009-08-25, 3:49pm

You are all such cut-ups, I can hardly wait to meet you in person. Only 8 more days, I hope we get there in time for the reception the night before. We are driving from the Portland airport - heard it takes about 2 1/2 hours to get there??

Old 2009-08-25, 4:28pm
Glass Fanatic

Where and when is Glass Stock? Who can attend?
Old 2009-08-25, 4:30pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bead_lover View Post
You are all such cut-ups, I can hardly wait to meet you in person. Only 8 more days, I hope we get there in time for the reception the night before. We are driving from the Portland airport - heard it takes about 2 1/2 hours to get there??
Yup, just about that. It's a BEAUTIFUL drive! OMG - like going through
leafy green tunnels. And don't worry about the reception. You'll have enough
"meeting" of us during the event. If you're not at the same table, you'll be
in the same rooms.

Old 2009-08-25, 4:35pm

OK I can't think of anything to do with a hat. So if we don't do the hat we don't get to torch at open torch that night right? So can we wear any hat just not be in the contest?

Old 2009-08-25, 4:42pm
Type ZZZ personality

The decorating of hats and entering of the contests is totally optional.
But you do have to wear pajamas if you want to torch that night.

Old 2009-08-25, 5:42pm
I'm meeeeelting

So, we don't have to wear a glass-laden hat to participate in open torch?

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2009-08-25, 5:45pm

I thought hat night was a separate night from pj night and if we didn't wear a "creative hat" we couldn't do open torch?? I'll be lucky to do the pj's, just not enough time for everything, so guess the hat will have to go.

Old 2009-08-25, 6:56pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Hi guys, some folks are having trouble finding the 1/2" corks for my shell class...no worries! I have decided we will just work off the smaller tubing and blow it bigger instead of using 1/2" as I tried to find some too. So, we will just use swivel and a little tape if we need it, way easier than hassling with larger tubing!

Hugs deb [

Last edited by deb c; 2009-08-25 at 6:56pm. Reason: mispelled
Old 2009-08-26, 10:54pm

Now I am confused, Do we need to bring to items to auction or 2 items for sponsors or both. What kind of things do people bring for the sponsors? Do they need to be glass related? I just am not that great yet I don't know what kind of jewelry a sponsor would want.

I have not been on the torch for 8 months or more I am so afraid I will not be able to make a round bead if my life depended on it.

Old 2009-08-26, 11:12pm
I'm meeeeelting

Veda's Bead, there was an application period (open to anyone) and then names were drawn for the spots. Someone posted a few weeks ago looking for someone to take her spot, though. I don't know if she got a taker or exactly how that works.

Lori, if I've got it right, 2 sponsor beads are required and auction/raffle items are optional.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2009-08-27, 2:38am
Bitten by the travel bug

I believe there is a waiting list, so if someone has a spot available, that would go through Deb I expect.

Old 2009-08-27, 2:38am
Bitten by the travel bug

OMG 5 days till I leave!!!!

Old 2009-08-27, 4:31am

If I've piled my stuff on the spare bed, does it mean I'm excited?
Joan
Old 2009-08-27, 6:42am
Angel's Mom

I've been packed for a week. I am spazzy excited!!!!!!
Old 2009-08-27, 7:30am
I'm meeeeelting

You peeps are stressing me out! I haven't started packing.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2009-08-27, 7:43am

Packed!!! I'm still working on my demo. . . and Lori, I know what you mean about the beads for the sponsors. There are so many terrific people going, I'm not sure anything I have anyone would want, but - if they don't want them, they can always donate them to BOC...

Old 2009-08-27, 7:55am
Wooohooo,GS!

Suz, too funny, how were the results?
Lori, Felicia had it right, you have to wear PJs to compete in Pajama Jam....however, you can torch ANY night with no hat or PJs at free tables! The hats, PJs are optional but great prizes!

You are asked to bring 2 sponsor items for the almost 30 sponsors who donated again this year, woohoo to all the sponsors!

We never had an auction until my ex had his triple bypass 2 years ago. It was completely an attendee's idea and it was a huge help with his med bills! Last year the same gal wanted to do it again for scholarships (I have given 2 spots away free for 6 years) for that year and this year as well as tools and maintenance. I opted not to do it this year as I just don't have the extra time but many folks wanted to do it again as they know how hard I work for this event for 9 months every year.

I will say that due to many hurdles and the economy the attendance is not what it has been, it is again an almost "break even" event (I hope, lol!), last year was the only year we actually showed a profit! It doesn't matter much to me, I do this out of love and that is what keeps it going! That is why I gave out 6 scholarships this year, it is giving back to the Lampworking community!

SO, auction items are optional, it is not the idea of the event to raise money, if so I would raise the price (haven't for 4 years!) to match other venues with attendance and additional monies for classes! The sponsor items go straight to the sponsors, they are a Thank You for their continued support!

I have PM'd the two who are interested.....hope I answered all the questions! I am leaving tomorrow for the Flame Off and will be back late Sunday.
BIG hugs, deb

Old 2009-08-27, 7:59am
Wooohooo,GS!

PS, the sponsors always LOVE the beads, every one! Remember, we all started with the same beads! Oh, we also LOVE any demo draws we get...everyone wins a demo piece from someone else....PLEASE do not worry about it....we ALL worry about it anyway!

Hugs deb

Old 2009-08-27, 10:29am
Happy 10 a.m.!

I'm Going! I"M GOING!!! I'm so excited - I've been jumping up and down and squealing all morning!! Better get my but to the torch and start making some trade beads! WOOHOO!!

Mega Minor w/propane, tanked oxy and humor
Old 2009-08-27, 10:30am
Beyond Cloud 9!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda's Beads View Post
I'm Going! I"M GOING!!! I'm so excited - I've been jumping up and down and squealing all morning!! Better get my but to the torch and start making some trade beads! WOOHOO!!
Very cool!!