Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2009-07-28, 9:07am

Default Help, I need suggestions for teaching studios

I am just starting to look for a few special places to teach in 2010. I need your input as to good places to contact.

I am not teaching as much aa I used to so I am not as current on all the great places out there. So if you know of a place or if you are interested in hosting please let me know.

Brad Pearson

Here is some of the stuff from my lessons,
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now Fully Stocked!!!!
Old 2009-07-28, 11:24am
ManBearPig

www.accentsglassworks.com in Rockville, MD.

I taught up there recently, and it's a top notch facility. Best I've been to.

I know Anderson would love to have you up there...

Old 2009-07-29, 9:54am

Thanks Chad, I would gladly come back to your place any time you think we can fill a class. Hopefully we will run into each other at some east coast bead event ( or Marble) soon.

Brad

Now Fully Stocked!!!!
Old 2009-07-29, 1:35pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsonglass View Post
Thanks Chad, I would gladly come back to your place any time you think we can fill a class. Hopefully we will run into each other at some east coast bead event ( or Marble) soon.

Brad
Well, we closed in October of last year, so that may prove difficult.

I'm sure we'll run into each other soon though...

Old 2009-07-29, 8:22pm

How about Playing with Fire in Maine?
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-07-29, 8:26pm
Cheerfully Profane

If any studios are checking in on this thread, I've taken Brad's class about seven times. He's a truly wonderful teacher who not only teaches you how to make what he makes but most importantly, teaches his students technique, theory and how to think for themselves so that when they get home, even if you can't remember exactly how to make what he taught, you can apply what you learned to your own style.

His lessons are very well thought out and planned, easy to understand, and challenging. He doesn't disappear after a demo. Brad watches what his students are doing, even when you think he isn't and comes over to offer helpful tips that will help you succeed.

I highly recommend him as an asset to any studio's roster!

Rebekah (not being paid in any way for this endorsement) Higgins
Old 2009-07-30, 6:24am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
How about Playing with Fire in Maine?
Paula
When I asked them about teaching there, they said that they had two people that worked there that taught all the classes, and they didn't take outside instructors...

Old 2009-07-30, 5:42pm

That must have been when they first opened. Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-07-30, 6:59pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
That must have been when they first opened. Paula
Could be. It was earlier this year when I was scheduling classes for 2009.

Or could be that they just didn't want me up there.

Old 2009-07-31, 8:09am

thanks for the suggestions so far,

Rebekah, I will get your payment off soon

Chad I am sure you told me about the store, I was just in denial, you had a really cool shop.

Paula, I will look into it, maybe they started taking other teachers.

Brad

Now Fully Stocked!!!!
Old 2009-07-31, 9:40am

[quote=Cosmo;2598780]When I asked them about teaching there, they said that they had two people that worked there that taught all the classes, and they didn't take outside instructors...[/QUOTE

First of all, Paula, thank you for suggesting us!

Now Chad. It appears that you misunderstand us! Please take a look at our website, and you will see that we host lots of instructors!!! Yes, Ed and I both teach, AND we also host visiting artist teachers throughout the year---offering workshops of all levels in both boro and soft glass, as well as electroforming, and mixed media. In fact our next three classes between September and October are Trey Cornette, John Kobuki (two sessions), and Andrea Guarino Slemmons (two workshops).

When you inquired about teaching a marble class here, our response was that we, ourselves, teach a class like your class, so we wouldn't be able to hire others to teach that! Hope that makes sense to you.

We have a very comfortable teaching studio (if we do say so ourselves!) in a nice art-focused city on the coast of Maine!! ... and students and instructors, alike, tell us that they're eager to come back! (Thanks so much to all of you! You know who you are!

Brad, give us a call, we'd love to talk about a possible teaching date.

And Rebekah, I want you to come take a class here (or just come visit!) cuz I'm just dying to meet you in person! Your posts and your avatar just crack me up!

Old 2009-07-31, 9:53am
DSDWC

Playing With Fire is like a second home to me!!
I can't wait to get back.
Brad you will love it there

Old 2009-07-31, 1:33pm
Bad Cat Glass

Would love for you to come to Flame Tree Glass in Roswell, GA just outside of Atlanta. It's a really nice facility, and more importantly, only about seven hours from Wilmington, NC.
Old 2009-07-31, 1:39pm
Cheerfully Profane

Aww! You're too sweet, Virginia. I think you'll find if you ask Brad that I'm a less than ideal student in a class setting. I tend to talk a leeeetle too much and make jokes at inappropriate times. Luckily, he teaches at Marjorie Langston's garage studio once a year and I take his class then. I consider myself banned until further notice.
Old 2009-07-31, 1:53pm

Brad, I want you to teach a class in my area that is NOT during the first 6 working days of the month! Have pity on the poor accountants that have to close the books, K?

RE: Playing with Fire - I really want to take a class there. I have never been to Maine. What airport would one fly into to get there??
Old 2009-07-31, 2:24pm
DSDWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
Brad, I want you to teach a class in my area that is NOT during the first 6 working days of the month! Have pity on the poor accountants that have to close the books, K?

RE: Playing with Fire - I really want to take a class there. I have never been to Maine. What airport would one fly into to get there??
Portland most likely unless you can catch a commuter straight into Rockland.
Great little town. Lots of little galleries, a nice museum, good people. What more could you ask for?
I am teaching a class there in late September.

Old 2009-07-31, 3:01pm
make beads not war

3rd Degree Glass Factory in St. Louis! Contact Libby there... she's the flamworking director.
Old 2009-07-31, 4:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Cornette View Post
Playing With Fire is like a second home to me!!
I can't wait to get back.
Brad you will love it there
OMG, awwwwww Trey, you are so sweet! We can't wait to have you back here! If we could do a time warp, we would sooooo have you back here, like, ya know... all the time!!!

And there are oysters and lobsters calling your name!!! (Trey, Treyyyyy, oh Treyyyy...) LOL!

Old 2009-07-31, 4:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebekah View Post
Aww! You're too sweet, Virginia. I think you'll find if you ask Brad that I'm a less than ideal student in a class setting. I tend to talk a leeeetle too much and make jokes at inappropriate times. Luckily, he teaches at Marjorie Langston's garage studio once a year and I take his class then. I consider myself banned until further notice.
Make jokes at inappropriate times??? You are ma kind o' woman! LOL!!!
Yeah, you gotta come up here

Old 2009-07-31, 4:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post

Yes, Trey is right, Portland (PWM) is one option -- 1.5 hours drive to Rockland.

Our local airport is Rockland (RKD) has a county airport that gets regular commuter flights from Boston. If you can get a good flight into Boston, and then Boston to Rockland, it's usually only a few dollars more to fly to Rockland than it is to fly into Portland. The Rockland airport is only 3 miles from the studio. We'd be happy to pick you up!

Old 2009-07-31, 6:46pm
Cheerfully Profane

If Brad teaches up there, maybe I'll tag along as a TA! Hee, have heckle, will travel!
Old 2009-07-31, 7:13pm

Too bad there are no flights from New Haven to Rockland!
I was up there 17 years ago to do photography and I am sure it is still just as pretty!
I am not so great at driving any more though. I have so many speeding tickets from going to Corning that I cannot drive in New York any more ever!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-07-31, 7:25pm
It's about time!

Quote:
Too bad there are no flights from New Haven to Rockland!
I was up there 17 years ago to do photography and I am sure it is still just as pretty!
I am not so great at driving any more though. I have so many speeding tickets from going to Corning that I cannot drive in New York any more ever!
Paula
Paula - If you can get to South Station in Boston, take Concord Trailways to either Portland or Rockland! It's exactly 2 hours by bus from Boston to Portland and comfortable! By the way, their studio is the best!
Old 2009-07-31, 9:53pm

Ya know that is a good idea. I can probably train it all the way from Branford to Maine.
But it will have to be next year because I have had no torch time this year! Ugh. I was selling test beads at the Gathering!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-08-01, 1:30pm

Brad...if you plan on teaching in California there's Donna at "The Mandrel"
I would take a class from you there!!!!

Old 2009-08-01, 5:53pm

Kathy - if you'll remind me we can schedule for October or later in November for 2010 - we've just gotten into the habit of having him in Chattanooga the first weekend in November.

Marjorie
Old 2009-08-01, 6:02pm

Virginia You are gonna love Brad! He taught here twice. And we loved him twice!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-08-01, 6:09pm

I will do that Marjorie! Thanks.
Old 2009-08-01, 6:55pm

M & D Designs in Chinook Washington and Aquilla glass school in Portland Oregon the only thing with Aquilla is that they don't use 104 glass both Awesome places to teach though. I would love to take a class with you.

Old 2009-08-02, 5:23pm
k Grace Richard Designs

You can always come to Michigan! We have a great group...Glass Act. We have had a number of great teachers... Trey was just here a couple of months ago. Let me know, I will hook you up with our President! All classes are taught at University of Michigan Dearborn!