Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Do you sit down, or stand up, and have your bye bye arms gone bye bye
I work sitting down 117 64.64%
I work standing up 20 11.05%
I work some sitting down, and some standing 45 24.86%
My arms are getting in great shape from lampworking 7 3.87%
my arms still wave bye bye 16 8.84%
I am waving bye bye to this thread!!! 3 1.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-02-29, 9:54am
Virginia.

Default do you stand up, or sit down???

I guess a lot of people sit down to do their lampwork. I started sitting down, and then found I had to quit too soon, and gradually found myself standing. Now, I don't even have the chair in there. was just in the way. I have some back and neck issues so I can torch a lot longer standing. Just wondering if there are other Upstand lampworkers - that is in standing up - Also, since I am approaching 60 and things just aren't what they used to be!! - I find my bye bye arms that we older ladies are blessed with, have gone bye bye!!! - needless to say, I am more than pleased. That happening for anyone else? - thanks - Virginia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you have a chance, choose to dance!! If you are sick - stay home - you too can personally start a Pandemic!!! - Virginia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-29, 10:06am
Noobie

I work sitting down..If I were able to adjust the table higher I would work standing..but not all of the time...This may sound weird..I think I may have poor circulation because my feet will get so cold that they go numb..I have to take breaks and walk around to get the feeling in my feet again.
Old 2008-02-29, 10:48am
Formerly "HillyBeads"

I always stand up, it just feels more comfortable to me (plus I like to crank up the music and dance). I am about to take a class, and am nervous about it since I will have to sit!

Old 2008-02-29, 10:53am
Virginia.

I know how you feel Laura - I used to teach classes in Edmonton, Alberta when my daughter lived up there. I had to teach sitting down, but it was ok. Had to get up and move around a bit though - V

If you have a chance, choose to dance!! If you are sick - stay home - you too can personally start a Pandemic!!! - Virginia

Old 2008-02-29, 11:17am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

For me, it depends upon what I'm doing.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2008-02-29, 11:19am
Mary Lockwood

Depends on what I'm doing.

Old 2008-02-29, 11:20am

When I first started I stood all that time and it's quite comfortable. But once I got into doing stringer work and detailed work, I needed some support for my hands which get so shakey, so I bouhgt the creation station.

It felt weird at first sitting and having my arms sitting on a base, I thought it would be very restricting, but now I couldn't do without it. I have to sit.

Old 2008-02-29, 11:35am
I need more boro stuff

I'm using a jeweler's table that quite high, so I can sit down, put my elbows on the table and keep my wrist straight (In this way, I do the torching in eye level ). It helps me a lot from straining my left shoulder and wrists since I had a very bad injury on my shoulder few years back from work.

Old 2008-02-29, 4:20pm
Genus: gwacefulia klumsia

Both sitting and standing. Detail work sitting always.
etsy shop:

doggies:
Old 2008-02-29, 4:23pm

When Tink teaches she sits but has her nose 1/8" from the flame. LOL She really gets into her work.
Old 2008-02-29, 4:24pm
MacGalver

Red face

I work sitting. My workbench has a lower center section where the torch sits, so my arms and elbows are fully supported. I like the lower center area, I haven't seen anybody else's torch set up that way.
Old 2008-02-29, 6:50pm

Default I sit for concentration and stand sometimes..

I read in Corrina's book that she had a chiropractor come to her house to look at her positioning. Wish I had that option! I've got a "crick" in my left wrist now and can see that I have it bent while working sometimes. I'm not sure a Station would be the answer. I tried one at a class one time and didn't seem to be able to get close to the flame. It felt reallly weird to me. I'm sure there's a learning curve. I've raised and lowered the chair and even the torch. Not sure how to fix this.
Old 2008-02-29, 6:53pm
Storm Queen

In my old house I had no choice but to torch standing up. When we moved I had no choice but to torch sitting....and I was amazed at how much my precision improved.

Old 2008-02-29, 7:00pm

I sit, the tables were made for the my studio at a good sitting height...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherie View Post
I work sitting down..If I were able to adjust the table higher I would work standing..but not all of the time...This may sound weird..I think I may have poor circulation because my feet will get so cold that they go numb..I have to take breaks and walk around to get the feeling in my feet again.
I try to break every hour to walk downstairs to make sure the blood's still moving, too. I get soooo cold when I shut the torch down, but that could also be because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
When Tink teaches she sits but has her nose 1/8" from the flame. LOL She really gets into her work.
...same here, I hover close to it, until I remind myself to back up!

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-02-29, 9:21pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I have a tall table so I can do both. I find that if I am working off mandrel I like to stand. It is also nice to pull stringer and blow shards standing.

Old 2008-02-29, 9:23pm

I have an ergonomically correct leather office chair and a creation station, sitting is VERY comfy for me!

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-02-29, 9:24pm
critter creator

Quote:
I get up,
I get down,
I get up,
I get down.
Sorry, I just had to quote Yes there

But like the song says I like to vary my position, especially depending upon what I'm doing. Gotta love some good rollie wheels on the chair...
Old 2008-03-01, 4:39am
Certified Yoga Teacher

I sit down, but I purposely put my kiln out of reach so that I have to stand up and take a step after each bead. When I first began, I had everything within reach. It only took a few minutes for both legs and arms to go completely numb sitting in the same position. Either that or shooting pains down my leg. I considered standing, but couldn't quite get the same control.

Liz

Last edited by mostlydetails; 2008-03-01 at 4:40am. Reason: typo
Old 2008-03-01, 7:30am

hee hee I read the thread title and thought it was a question about bathroom habits! And I got all ready to post a rant about women who squat and wind up piddling all over the seat! And then walk out, failing to wipe the pee off of the seat. Oh, I guess I just did the rant after all! LOL
Old 2008-03-01, 7:47am
Just me

I'm more comfortable standing for most things. When I started making beads with my HH I didn't have a chair so that's how I learned everything. Also my work bench is an old kitchen cabinet from when my house was built in the 50's and they come up to my waist. Plus I'm another dancer at the torch too, I sing as well but have to be careful as my ventilation is piped right out into my neighbors driveway. I'm sure they think I'm weird.

Since moving to my oxy propane set up I do more sitting and have a bar stool that I prop my butt on. I don't actually sit in the chair, I'm mostly on the edge. I use my creation station in both positions which has been a huge help with my neck, upper back and shoulder pain.

Old 2008-03-01, 7:58am
Scientific Glass Girl

i usually sit when i make beads. in scientific, i sit/stand when using the lathe and the same with bench work. like when i wrap coils, i stand.

Old 2008-03-01, 8:58am

I purchased a shop bench from Lowes that is designed to work at standing up. I also purchased a pneumatic stool I can adjust from desk height to bench (Bar) height. I sit for the most part, especially for detail. But, when I want to stand, the work is still at the right height. It makes working for several hours much easier.

Glass can be a Solid, Glass can be a Liquid, But Glass should always be a GAS!

Old 2008-03-01, 9:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlydetails View Post
I sit down, but I purposely put my kiln out of reach so that I have to stand up and take a step after each bead. When I first began, I had everything within reach. It only took a few minutes for both legs and arms to go completely numb sitting in the same position. Either that or shooting pains down my leg. I considered standing, but couldn't quite get the same control.
Oooh, I like that idea.

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-03-01, 9:55am
Formerly "HillyBeads"

Well....now I'm thinking I should get a chair for detail work. Maybe I could gain that precision that seems just beyond my reach. Maybe precision is just under my butt!

Old 2008-03-01, 2:07pm
Virginia.

thanks for all the responses - I even like that some people chose the waving goodbye to the thread. i would have been so sad if someone hadn't. I had a nice high chair that I could work on, but I would just get in such pain, I pushed it out of the way - and then finally found I was pushing it out of the way all the time, so I just took it out. My little glass shack is only 7' by 7' - so don't need anything extra in there.I had shoulder rests, from when my shoulders were frozen, but my Dr. told me that if I pamper my shoulders, they could freeze again - never want that to happen, so I sent them to someone that needed them - anyway - hope more people respond - pics of you working would be cool too - V

Old 2008-03-02, 11:10am

Sitting. More control. I also sit with my nose all but in the flame, LOL. I need a taller table because my chair is at the lowest setting and it's not comfortable.

PLUS I have sense enough to take a break every hour or so. ahem.

I did find that when I was taking that class from John Olson on inside out beads I had to stand. Boro tubing is HEAVY.

When I did stained glass I stood all the time except when I foiled. Then I got to sit and rest. whew.

Old 2008-03-02, 7:14pm
Who Me?

Ha! I started out lampworking over a Hothead standing. Then when I finally bought my Minor I started sitting & boy, did my learning curve increase!

Old 2008-03-02, 7:50pm
Dangerous Woman

I have always sat. But my kiln has always been at least a few feet away so I have to get up to put the bead (or whatever) into the kiln. I also take breaks every so often. Usually to check my e-mail and LE!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-03-02, 8:00pm
Borovangelist

depends what I'm up to. If it's something that takes a while like melting down an implosion or rounding out a bead (some take longer than others!) I'll grab a seat. But if I'm working a big flame I'm usually standing so I can see over the torch better.

|
|
Old 2008-03-02, 8:46pm
as in the state

Depends on what torch I'm using. If I use the B-8, I prefer to stand/sit in intervals. If I'm using the miniCC I usually sit the whole time. But, I do like to move around more while I'm torching as it keeps my back from getting too stiff and my arms from getting too tired (though, I must say, my arms are getting in fantastic shape from holding them up to torch..)

-Amy