Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-07-31, 7:21am

Default Making boro tube blown ornaments???

I would love to learn to use boro tube's to make blown ornaments! Any ideas as to where I can learn...tutorials, books, videos?

Thanks!
Old 2007-07-31, 7:30am
ManBearPig

I haven't seen any tutorials, but they are pretty easy. Basically just take some tube, make bubbles, pull it down, etc. There really aren't any restrictions as far as ornaments go.

For a way to hang them, you have a couple options. You can close down the bubble so it's completely closed and make a loop. You can also leave a hole that will accept a standard ornament hanger (like on those glass ball ornaments). I have done both, and both work.

If you do the completely closed ones, be sure to anneal them for a little longer and ramp them down WAY slower than normal. I go about 150 degrees/hour. That may be too conservative, but at my normal rate (500/hour) I was getting breakage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-07-31, 7:48am

Try these links:
http://www.exploringart.com/pdf/Glas..._Ornaments.pdf
or
http://www.edhoy.com/BlownGlassOrnaments.pdf

Or Google: Glaskolben
di
Old 2007-07-31, 8:20am
Dead man walking

I just returned a video to smartflix.com on making christmas ornaments both blown and solid work (icicles, angels etc.) It was called Flameworked Ornaments with Doug Remschneider. It was a decent video and only 8.95 to rent.
Old 2007-07-31, 8:45am

You guys ROCK!! Thank you so much for all your info......I cant wait to try it now!
Old 2007-07-31, 9:51am
Borovangelist

Default 8.95?!?!

I just rented the same video (went back in the mail yesterday) from smartflix and it cost me 9.99 +tx since I'm in MA. What the heck??

Good video though if not in need of a little menu editing help.
Old 2007-07-31, 6:37pm
Dead man walking

I could be wrong on the price I rented about 12 videos at a time, so don't sweat it.
Old 2007-07-31, 7:31pm
Mandrel Slayer

I wanted to share that the artist gets no royalties for the rentals. Smart flix buys the copy just like we could and then makes rental fees without giving the artist anything. It sure doesn't see fair to me. I was renting from them myself until I found this out.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2007-08-01, 6:06am
Borovangelist

No, it's not fair to the artist. But getting a video for $50-60 only to find out it's rubbish and now non-returnable isn't terribly fair to the customer either. I've rented a fair share of clunkers from Smartflix as well. I'd rather be out 10.00 than 50.

If the videos were priced more like the latest tripe from Hollywood then it would be less of an issue. But for artists just starting out and unable to afford an expensive video or better an even more expensive class with the artist him/herself, this is a reasonable compromise.

If you like a video you've rented from Smartflix, simply buy a copy for your library and everyone wins.
Old 2007-08-01, 6:29am
giggety-giggety

Hey Cosmo- do you know what mm tubing fits the ornament hangers (metal) that are out there?

My etsy:

Old 2007-08-01, 6:40am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithfirebeads View Post
I wanted to share that the artist gets no royalties for the rentals. Smart flix buys the copy just like we could and then makes rental fees without giving the artist anything. It sure doesn't see fair to me. I was renting from them myself until I found this out.

Bonny
They don't get royalties any other way either. Once an end user buys the video from them, their responsibility to the person that produced the video ends. There is no agreement that I know of that requires a rental company to pay royalties to the artist on whatever money they make.

Just like when I buy videos for our store to resell. I don't owe the person that created the video any money. I purchase it from them initially, and that is where my responsibility to them ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmegirl View Post
Hey Cosmo- do you know what mm tubing fits the ornament hangers (metal) that are out there?
I don't know. I use 26mm heavy wall, and then pull the tubing down to the right diameter. You may have to mess with the shape a little. I have a piece of graphite rod that is the exact size of the hanger, and I use it to shape it. Easier shown than typed out, though...

Old 2007-08-01, 9:46am
Borovangelist

Just curious, about how big do you get with the 26mm? I was trying to make some last night and had trouble getting past maybe 2". Could be my being a little timid about the heat base (I run into folding problems) but I was sort of hitting a wall.

I orderd some 40x4 from Kristian this morning to try. I have some 50 but I'm saving that for goblet experiments.
Old 2007-08-01, 10:04am
ManBearPig

Generally, whatever size the tube is, about twice that diameter is as big as I go. With standard or medium wall, about 1.5 times the original diameter.

Old 2007-08-03, 10:49am
Formerly known as weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
They don't get royalties any other way either. Once an end user buys the video from them, their responsibility to the person that produced the video ends. There is no agreement that I know of that requires a rental company to pay royalties to the artist on whatever money they make.

Just like when I buy videos for our store to resell. I don't owe the person that created the video any money. I purchase it from them initially, and that is where my responsibility to them ends.

I don't know. I use 26mm heavy wall, and then pull the tubing down to the right diameter. You may have to mess with the shape a little. I have a piece of graphite rod that is the exact size of the hanger, and I use it to shape it. Easier shown than typed out, though...
Is it possible that you can make up some graphite rods to aid those of us who wish to make the ornaments? How much would you charge for them, I really would like one so I have the correct size....

thanks Cosmo

Wilma

Old 2007-08-06, 6:25pm
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite

When you get some made post a picture. I started to make a couple, but one turned into a vessal and the other a small jar, my torch has a mind of it's own!
Kare

Old 2007-08-06, 7:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjglass View Post
I just returned a video to smartflix.com on making christmas ornaments both blown and solid work (icicles, angels etc.) It was called Flameworked Ornaments with Doug Remschneider. It was a decent video and only 8.95 to rent.
smartflix rocks
Old 2007-08-06, 11:10pm

I like smartflix, but I dont go there til after I've exhausted the great knowledge here. the tuts post by many for free are amazing. by the time I get the movies I have the knowledge and spend more time watching the hand work rather than the glass work in the films.
Murf

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2007-08-07, 12:32am

I desperately want to see some of these DVD's available it just sucks the UK doesn't have a online DVD rental place that holds them at all.

Old 2007-08-08, 12:09pm
Dead man walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
I like smartflix, but I dont go there til after I've exhausted the great knowledge here. the tuts post by many for free are amazing. by the time I get the movies I have the knowledge and spend more time watching the hand work rather than the glass work in the films.
Murf
Ditto, I like to read, try it a bit then watch someone. Usually by watching I get the epiphany, smack my forehead with the palm of my hand a couple of times and then go and do it better.
Old 2007-08-10, 7:43am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsey View Post
Is it possible that you can make up some graphite rods to aid those of us who wish to make the ornaments? How much would you charge for them, I really would like one so I have the correct size....

thanks Cosmo

Wilma
Possibly. I don't do much graphite work since it makes such a mess, but there is a machine shop here in town that does it and I can usually get them to make stuff for me. I'll check on it.

In the meantime, an alternative is to get one of those tapered octagonal reamers. Find the spot on the reamer that is the size you need, and make a mark on it. Then ream it out to that mark and you should be pretty close.

Old 2007-08-10, 8:13am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Possibly. I don't do much graphite work since it makes such a mess, but there is a machine shop here in town that does it and I can usually get them to make stuff for me. I'll check on it.

In the meantime, an alternative is to get one of those tapered octagonal reamers. Find the spot on the reamer that is the size you need, and make a mark on it. Then ream it out to that mark and you should be pretty close.
Excellent idea Cosmo! Thanks for the tip.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-08-13, 4:56am

Default Graphite reamer

I am a Boro newbie, ( very new) and am currently using a graphite drawing stick with Boro. I scrubbed the plastic coating off it, and it works just fine. You can buy them in different hardness just like drawing pencils, I have the HB, figuring that it would be the hardest and least messy. It sharpens just like a pencil, but without the wood. About $3 each around here.

KMD