LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-05-15, 8:28pm

Default Question About Feathering and Moving Glass

I was wondering if anyone had any techniques that work well for them for feathering, dragging and moving surface glass on a bead? I always seem to have such a problem with this and I know it's not difficult. My bead cools down so quickly that I have to drag the glass in stages. Am I digging into the surface too much or not heating the bead enough? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Pam
Old 2008-05-15, 8:51pm
Glassy Lady

You have to be quick and use a light hand. Make sure you are spot heating the surface enough to get it really molten but without getting it so hot that you distort the whole bead when you rake. This is something that takes practice to accomplish correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2008-05-15, 8:56pm

Someone once told me to keep the bead directly under the flame and drag the glass once the bead heats up. Has anyone tried that?
Old 2008-05-15, 9:02pm
Glassy Lady

Be careful with your tool if you're going to keep the bead directly under the flame. I've ruined good brass and steel tools that way by melting the points on them into little balls. I've also got the tip of the tool stuck in the glass, necessitating reheating the glass in order to pull the (now most probably ruined) tool out of the glass. I prefer to spot heat until really hot, then raking out of the flame. The trick is to do it fast and not dig in too deep, keep the tip of your raking tool on the surface.

Old 2008-05-15, 9:11pm
Ad astra per aspera

I've ruined too many tools with the under the flame method, so what I do is heat the bead under the flame, then lift it up above the flame and rake quickly. I use a dental pick with a very fine tip and, as Alex said, a nice light touch. Better to have to go back and drag a little more than to wreck the surface.

Old 2008-05-15, 11:19pm

I do my raking at the bottom of the flame. The trick is rake with a tungsten pick. I sell the Handy Andy Tungsten Tweezers. They have a pick on one side, a shaping tool on the other and in the middle you get a hole punch all made of tungsten. However any tungsten pick will work on the edge of the flame.

"Sometimes you see the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" Robert Hunter

Old 2008-05-15, 11:45pm
Mad about Glass

Andy, where do you sell the tungsten tweezers? I have been to your website and your ebay store several times and I can never find tungsten tweezers.

Jenn

[url]

Old 2008-05-16, 6:41am
Who me?

I have found that the best way for me to maintain that "light hand" is to use very thin stringer.

I pull clear stringers to 2 to 2.5 mm from all my clear shorts. Then just before I am going to be doing a lot of raking, I heat a small ball (about 3 to 4 mm) on the end of each stringer and use my very thin tweezers to pull about 3 inches of 1 mm stringer on the end of each fat stringer.

These very thin stringer won't let you dig too deeply into the bead or they will break. It's best to have them at an angle when raking or they will break. I get a clean tip with each use by dipping shallowly in my water glass.

Having the fatter stringer to hold onto with the small stringer ends help control and the thin clear all but disappears in the rake.

You can either imbed the end in the bead and blow to cool to break off or pull the stringer away from the bead until it trails off depending on the look you want.

All other's tips about heating where you rake apply.
Old 2008-05-16, 7:22am
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy Andy View Post
I do my raking at the bottom of the flame. The trick is rake with a tungsten pick. I sell the Handy Andy Tungsten Tweezers. They have a pick on one side, a shaping tool on the other and in the middle you get a hole punch all made of tungsten. However any tungsten pick will work on the edge of the flame.
OMG The Handy Andy tool ROCKS! I'm mostly an anti tool person, but THIS tool has got to be one of the best thought out tools I have ever seen and used, I love mine! Sorry for the crappy picture.

Old 2008-05-16, 8:30am
Ad astra per aspera

That looks like a torture implement! LOL

So, you rake with the outside tweezer point? That looks kinda awkward.

Old 2008-05-16, 9:16am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I have found that the tungsten tools I have bought do not have a sharp enough tip. The really fine dental picks are much sharper.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-05-16, 9:41am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I have found that the tungsten tools I have bought do not have a sharp enough tip. The really fine dental picks are much sharper.
Whatever you do - do not get the dental tools in the flame - they arc like 4th of July sparklers and burn the tips off - don't ask how I know.
Old 2008-05-16, 10:08am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
Whatever you do - do not get the dental tools in the flame - they arc like 4th of July sparklers and burn the tips off - don't ask how I know.

Yeah, they can't stand much heat at all.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-05-16, 10:21am

I use a sharpened mandrel (really sharp). My husband has a grinder (that he uses for some things) I use for mandrels to knock of the edges when they get cut. I had him sharpen some mandrels that were too bent to use any more.

These are nice and sturdy, they can take a little heat without crumpling,
they were FREE and renewable. I have found personally that these work better than stringer for bullseye glass. It's enough stiffer and cools faster so you need something that's a little less delicate to move the glass an inch or more at a time. I tried the stringer thing for a long time, and it was very frustrating. With softer glass, you have to use a lighter touch.

Got a tip in a Jen Geldard class where she had a bead release failure so the bead would be forever stuck on the mandrel, to just leave the bead on the tip so you have a decorated mandrel pick.
Old 2008-05-16, 10:28am
Glassy Lady

Lynda, what a great idea! I didn't think of that. I've been looking for something other than dental picks that wouldn't melt in the flame. Thanks!

Old 2008-05-16, 10:35am

We carry the Handy Andy tool (soon to be added to our website), as well as both straight and bent tungsten tweezers, and a straight tungsten rake.

And, as Swamper stated, using a stringer as a rake is another way to go too.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2008-05-16, 8:03pm
Mad about Glass

Thanks Malcolm. I have your tungsten tweezers and they are great. I thought the Handy Andy tool would be good for loops, etc.

Jenn

[url]

Old 2008-05-16, 8:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekkie View Post
Thanks Malcolm. I have your tungsten tweezers and they are great. I thought the Handy Andy tool would be good for loops, etc.

Jenn
They are

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2008-05-17, 7:51pm

This tip help me. don't completely melt in what ever it is you want to move.
Old 2008-05-18, 6:56pm
I practice alchemy!

The books make raking look so simple; just heat and rake all around. I just tried raked hearts--again--and had better success. I heated the dots and raked each one separately. That way I didn't get major distortion or a tool stuck. I liked how they turned out and will try again.

Celeste
Old 2008-05-18, 8:32pm
I speak Murrini!

Hey Malcolm!!!

Any idea when you'll be getting those Handy Andy's - and approx. price?

Thanks,
DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-05-18, 9:59pm

I purchased Andy's tweezers a few months ago just by simply emailing him and requesting a Paypal invoice. They were at that time $45. I love the tool and use it daily!
andy@galacticglass.net

Old 2008-05-18, 10:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Hey Malcolm!!!

Any idea when you'll be getting those Handy Andy's - and approx. price?
Got them now, and yes, the price is $45. Thanks

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2008-05-18, 10:40pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks, Malcolm...back to the dungeon!

DeAnne in CA

Old 2008-05-18, 11:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Thanks, Malcolm...back to the dungeon!

DeAnne in CA
Don't lock the dungeon door this time, and we might send down a bowl of gruel

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2008-05-19, 12:51am
I speak Murrini!

...oh, but I must lock the door! Otherwise the screaming meemies come marching in, waving their arms and asking nonsensical questions such as "Do you know where my other sock is?"

(And, of course, that would be RIGHT when my MAPP is about to give out, and I'm adding the tiniest finishing detail on the bead I've been working on for 45 minutes!!!).