LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-16, 11:47pm

Default blue silver kugler

How do I use my new 'blue silver kugler reduction' stringer? I only have one rod, so I want to get the best from it. I did a forum search but nothing specific on this colour. I have difficulty with reduction, so what's the best way to do it for this glass? Thanks
Old 2008-08-17, 2:36am
Entropy increasing....

Well, it's a reduction glass so you reduce it to bring out a silver metallic finish on the outside. If you have just one rod, I would suggest making dots or something. You just want to use it for surface design anyway.

So, when your bead is all done and you are ready to pop it in the kiln or in your blanket or vermiculite, turn down your oxy until you have a bit of yellow flame, maybe 2 inches, and flash the bead around in the flame for just a few seconds. Maybe 4 or 5, take it out and see if it's got the metallic finish. It should. Then leave it alone. If you go too far with the reduction it will turn green and yucky and wont' be very shiny. Just a few seconds should do it.
Old 2008-08-19, 9:32am
Peerless Thread Killer

A great effect for Kugler Iris Blue is to make a thin stringer and put it on a dark amber bead. I put a core of white so you can see it better. The kugler stringer will "bloom" in a way, and make a halo of lighter blue around the darker blue color. You can't reduce this effect because it will just look like reduced stringer without the halo. This was taught to me by Kate Fowle. It will also work with Iris Green Kugler.

Old 2008-08-19, 11:38am
Glassy Lady

silver blue looks great on pastels because it reacts with them much like EDP. It will cause the pastel to form darker lines between the dots or swirls of silver blue. Try it on periwinkle, copper green, new violet, sky blue or turquoise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2009-12-06, 7:47am

Is this reduction frit compatible with Moretti if only used for surface decoration?

Minor
Old 2009-12-06, 8:39am
Lampworkaholic!

I also like silver blue on amber. If you have any Iris Gold you can mix them and get a faux boro effect using a dark base and then encasing.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-12-06, 1:23pm

I'll have to give that a try. Thanks, Elizabeth

Minor