LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-24, 3:52am

Default Big hole beads - mandrel size?

What size mandrel do you guys use for your large hole beads? I bought one but it's a tad too small.

Thanks bunches, Patti =)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-24, 4:21am

I use each of the sizes, for different purposes. 3/8" to 1". The 1" I use for pendants with silk and fibers attached by a lark's head knot.
Joan
Old 2009-10-24, 7:16am

Oh shoot, I didn't ask my question right. I meant for troll or pandora bracelets. =)
Thanks Joan!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-24, 8:45am

Troll beads have 4mm hole
Pandora, Biagi, ets have 4.3mm hole

3/16" mandrel dipped once
use 3/16" tubing (has 4.06mm ID- fits Troll with a 4mm OD)

3/16" mandrel dipped twice
use 5mm tubing (has 4.3mm ID - fits all bracelets with a 4.3M OD)

1/4" mandrel
use 1/4" tubing has 5.6m ID

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-10-24, 12:38pm

... or you can use a 3/16" mandrel and tubing sold by Ginko that will fit both Pandora and Troll. Before, I would use the 3/16" for Troll, and the 1/4" for Pandora with different size tubing for each. I recently started using 3/16 exclusively with Ginko's tubing, and find it's an excellent compromise without having to make different beads for the two. JMHO.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2009-10-24, 6:47pm

Ohhh thank you guys!

Old 2009-10-24, 8:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
... or you can use a 3/16" mandrel and tubing sold by Ginko that will fit both Pandora and Troll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
3/16" mandrel dipped twice
use 5mm tubing (has 4.3mm ID - fits all bracelets with a 4.3M OD)
yep, her tubing is the 5mm.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-10-24, 8:50pm

so if I wanted to make beads that fit both troll and pandora but without the tubing I should make them on a 3/16th mandrel dipped twice?

Old 2009-10-24, 8:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
so if I wanted to make beads that fit both troll and pandora but without the tubing I should make them on a 3/16th mandrel dipped twice?
Yes, then use the 5mm tubing. (if the tubing doesn't quite fit, just ream out some of the glass, but twice dipped should do it)

The cored bead (using the 5mm tubing) will have a finished hole diameter of 4.3mm and will fit ALL of the European bracelets.

ETA: oh wait a minute, you said WITHOUT the tubing. I think you can get away with a 1/8" mandrel if you don't core the bead. However, I've heard that the uncored beads are hard on the bracelets, and I've also spoken to one person that says her uncored beads do fine on her Pandora. (wrapping my head with duct tape cause it's about to explode)

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-

Last edited by cgbeads; 2009-10-24 at 9:02pm.
Old 2009-10-24, 9:02pm

Okay thanks!