No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-11-14, 3:32pm
what a blast!

Default Transparent Glass and Silver foil . . .or should I say fake gold foil

I haven't played with foil in ages. Last time at the torch I couldn't get the foil to stay silver.

What colours of transparent glass DO NOT turn the foil gold? I find most of the colours I am trying seem to change the colour of the foil. I really want to make a set where the silver foil still looks silver and shimmers maybe . . .

Does it make a difference what colour the core bead is before I wrap in silver and encase, or is it just the encasing that causes the problem?

Any insight or help is greatly appreciated.

Carol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-11-14, 3:45pm

Are you sure you're using the pure silver foil? The only time my "silver" has turned gold is the "white gold" leaf, which has silver and gold in it. Although it looks silver in the booklet, it ends up gold under glass.

Old 2009-11-14, 4:05pm
what a blast!

Hi Rachel,thanks
Hmmmm . . . I had no idea there was "white gold" foil.
I am pretty sure it's silver, its the only foil I have ever purchased.
I guess i could have been given the wrong foil by accident.
thanks for your help.
Carol

Old 2009-11-14, 4:47pm

Very pale aqua will keep your silver, silver.
Old 2009-11-14, 5:54pm
Likes to melt stuff...

What OHB said. Blues of all ranges keep the silver silver. Clear glass makes the silver leaf turn an annoying icky gold color. I also think the trans. ambers and browns are pretty, but they do tend towards the gold range, in a nice way.
Old 2009-11-14, 8:53pm

I don't know about ALL clear making the silver foil turn gold...maybe someone else can chime in on this part. I know older vetrofond clear would make the silver turn gold, I don't know about the newer lots though. I don't use too much foil but the few times I have I have used Diamond Clear and haven't had a problem

Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdreschaneman View Post
What OHB said. Blues of all ranges keep the silver silver. Clear glass makes the silver leaf turn an annoying icky gold color. I also think the trans. ambers and browns are pretty, but they do tend towards the gold range, in a nice way.

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2009-11-14, 10:47pm

Duane's correct about the Diamond Clear. No problems here, either.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2009-11-14, 10:59pm
I like to melt things

I haven't really done any extensive testing but so far, I have noticed a few things that I don't mind sharing:

Colours that make my silver foil/leaf turn gold are:
Straw Yellow
Light Brown Transparent
Pale Green Apple

Colours that let my silver foil/leaf stay silver are:
Pale Lavender
Pale Aqua
Pale Blue
Pale Emerald (old handmade, not the new machine-made yellowy one. I suspect the new one will turn it gold)
Streaky Sapphire
Ink Blue
Striking Red

-
-
Old 2009-11-15, 8:27am
what a blast!

Thanks you guys . . . I wll try again on the torch today and see what happens. Sounds like the blue / lavendar shades are the ones to try.
Thanks for sharing your ideas, I really appreciate it.
Have a great beading day!
Carol

Old 2009-11-15, 11:23am

I believe it is the clear you are using. Effetre clear will not turn the silver to gold. Vetrofond and Lauscha will..... not sure about others....

hope this helps some....

Andrea

Old 2009-11-15, 11:59am
It's all about the color.

I have found that for reliable leaf that looks silver without worrying about what's on top, I have to either use Palladium Leaf or Silver Dichro. But, if you're looking for a less expensive option for Gold Leaf, the silver leaf under clear works well.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-11-15, 1:04pm
More ideas than talent

Pale aqua, or any of the transparent blues will let your foil stay silver.

As above some clears will be yellowish, some will be silver.

Overcooking the silver can also make it turn it yellowish.

I often use ivory under silver foil.

Dark transparents, then foil, then a lighter transparent can have a nice effect as well.

Old 2009-11-15, 2:10pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

ditto on the clear

Old 2009-11-15, 4:26pm
what a blast!

Ah ha . . . .Andrea, I think you have answered my conumdrum. the last batch of clear I got was Vetro, since Nortel couldn't get the Effetre clear, which is mostly what I use.

I'm thinking, I used to get an nice silver foil appearance when encased with clear, now its a ucky gold. what the heck is going on . . .It's my Vetro clear i'm using. I just got some new effetre clear, so i'll open it and give it a try.

Also tried lot's of blues and lavendars today, tomorrow morning i'll find out.

Thanks everyone . . .i really really appreciate your help!

Carol