Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-04-25, 8:15am

Default Long Beads

Hey guys! Lately I have been making some long beads between 2 and 3 inches long. I have problems with most of them. I use Bucket-O-Mud and I swore by it till these long beads. I cant get them off. It's the ends because when I do get them off or if I really mess with them, the ends crack off. I usually roll them in powdered frit of some sort and some of that sticks to the mandrel right at the ends of the mandrel. The ones that I can get off are super hard to get off. Should I use a different bead release? More than an inch and these things stick. In fact now that I think about it, I had 4 beads made by others at my bead jam that I couldn't get off either and they were about an inch and a half long....hmmmmmmm....anyone out there use B-O-M for long beads? What do you guys like for long beads. I am really disapointed because otherwise I have never ever lost a bead with B-O-M.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need custom made price tags? Check out my friend
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! Mention my name.
I LOVE these cards, plus they make life a little easier when getting ready for shows!

Old 2006-04-25, 8:24am
Formerly SirWatson

Hi Julie!

What size mandrel are you using? When I make long beads, I typically use a larger mandrel (3/32" or larger) which makes it much easier to get those long beads off. Plus, it's harder to bend the mandrel.

Also, this may be a stupid question, but are your ends puckered on your long beads? If not, that also makes it hard to remove them from the mandrel without cracking.

Regarding BOM...I don't use it, but rather Sludge Plus, and I rarely have issues losing long beads. Does the olive oil not work with longer beads?

Good luck!

<><
Old 2006-04-25, 8:31am
dances with ideas...

BOM has been working fine for me for 2-3 inch beads, so I think it's something else. If you marver the ends, you might be using too much force and breaking the bead release underneath. I know that's happened to me.

Old 2006-04-25, 8:45am
Cheerfully Profane

And a pair of vice grips. You're not trying to save the mandrel. If you can't get the one I made for you off, I'll make you another one.

Bek
Old 2006-04-25, 8:47am

My ends aren't puckered...I uses the big mandrels, vice grips and olive oil. I will try the puckering of the ends!
Thanks guys!!!!!!

! Mention my name.
I LOVE these cards, plus they make life a little easier when getting ready for shows!

Old 2006-04-25, 8:49am
Glassy Lady

Make sure that the mandrel you use is perfectly straight before you wind on a long bead. Even slightly bent mandrels will make removing a long bead very difficult. For long beads I like a bead release that releases easily, like Alice's. Stay away from Fusion for long beads. Make sure your bead release is not too thin for long beads. I find that is the only time that thicker is better.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2006-04-25, 8:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontHallGlass
And a pair of vice grips. You're not trying to save the mandrel. If you can't get the one I made for you off, I'll make you another one.

Bek
Where is my new black bracelet you were gonna make me? And all the other goodies you promised? WAHHHHHHHH It's time to call the wahhhhhmbulance!
Just kiding, I know you have been slammed. smoochie booches!

! Mention my name.

Old 2006-04-25, 8:52am
Cheerfully Profane

Snooch to the nooch. Vandy's making me work and I've been diamond shopping. Now leave me alone while I go wipe my bottom with silk.

Old 2006-04-25, 8:58am

Default Dumb Question, but...

What's the deal with the olive oil?

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2006-04-25, 9:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontHallGlass
Snooch to the nooch. Vandy's making me work and I've been diamond shopping. Now leave me alone while I go wipe my bottom with silk.

but i wuv ew and don't want to leave you alone...ferris, your my herwo!

! Mention my name.

Old 2006-04-25, 9:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee
What's the deal with the olive oil?
If I am having trouble getting a bead off I soak it in olive oil, sometimes a few minutes does it, sometimes over night or a day.
Usually gets those stubborn ones off.

! Mention my name.

Old 2006-04-25, 9:32am
ManBearPig

I have noticed that a thicker layer of bead release works better for me. I generally use 3/32" mandrels, but for a really long bead, I'll use a 1/16" mandrel, and double dip it. When it's done, the thicker layer of bead release will disintegrate when I take it off, and give more room inside the hole to take the mandrel out.

•
•
•