Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-10-27, 11:59am

Default Glass hook bails on hollow christmas ornaments

help making bails, I am having trouble making bails on hollow ornaments. after the ornament is done and I try to make the bail it seems to blow out when heating the tube to make the hook bail. I have been told that you need to make a hole in the ornament to prevent this, but think I have seen it done with the whole thing sealed...any Ideas? thanks
Old 2014-10-27, 12:47pm
ManBearPig

You just have to work cooler and with a smaller flame. You want to heat just the bail, and not the ornament itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-10-28, 12:22pm

I'm also interested in making hollow ornaments but wonder if you must leave an air-hole somewhere to allow the gasses to escape the orb?
Old 2014-10-28, 12:26pm
ManBearPig

Nope. But it's much easier to make the ornament and leave it attached to the point/tube/whatever and let it cool. Once it's cool seal the hole.

Old 2014-10-28, 1:47pm

thanks cosmo. sometimes it worked for me sometimes it did not, guess I will just have to work cooler and use a smaller flame. thanks so much for the help, just another lesson learned here
Old 2014-10-28, 2:59pm

Thank you Cosmo!
Old 2014-10-29, 3:22pm

If you dont want to have them be sealed and under a vacuum, insert a long tungsten pick into the hole while you are applying the glass for the hook. When removed it leaves a small gap.