No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-05-22, 7:45am
Christine

Default Help with Dots and Stringers

I am new to lampwork. Can someone give me some advice on how to make the dots consistent when applying them to a bead.....I seem to get some larger than others...... also any helpful advice on applying stringers on a bead - I find that it gets globby in some spots, and thinner in others......Any advice most welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-05-22, 8:07am

I know what you mean. Ok, so you need to practice your heat control. Don't let it get too globby. You can do this by not working directly in the flame. Work in the back and to the right or left of the flame. This will help with the heat control. Or some people turn their flame down and work like that to do dots and then turn it back up.
Hope that helps.
Amy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-05-22, 8:09am
Formerly "HillyBeads"

For me, the only way to get dot consistency is make LOTS of dot beads. I never heard any tricks that helped me, just practice, practice, practice. The more dots you make, the more you will get familiar with the consistency the glass needs to be for the size dot you need.

For stringer work, I turn my flame down and work with the stringer near the flame but not in it. That way, I am applying it when the glass is still a bit stiff, not all melty and globby, so I have better control.

Good luck, and have fun practicing!

Old 2008-05-22, 8:39am
Glassy Lady

Work at the edge of your flame, don't put the stringer into the flame, otherwise you will end up with too much molten glass and your dots will be too big.

Another technique is set a consistent pace as you apply the dots, that way you consistently melt the same amount of glass. Apply the dot, pull back, rotate the bead, apply the next dot.... do this rhythmically. I didn't believe this tip when I first heard it, but it really works.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2008-05-23, 8:26am

I second Alex's post. Also, make sure you have good arm/wrist support when applying your dots. If your wrist/hand is shaky, you will misplace dots. I hadn't done a triangle bead in a long time and figured I would do one, I could not believe how difficult it was. I had to learn the process all over again. But the more and more attempts I made, the more I seen how large the dots needed to be, and where they needed to be placed to have the best effect. It took a few tries but I got it. Also, if you work on a smaller base bead, you won't waste much glass when practicing.
Old 2008-05-24, 6:10pm
What was I thinking?

For stringers, I highly recommend Corina's DVD, "Corina Jones and the Secret of Stringer Control." There's also a booklet on dots out there somewhere--good for learning how to space them accurately.
Old 2008-05-24, 6:50pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

sometimes if you burn the stringer off at the same height each time, it helps to guage. You can always add glass, but taking away glass is trickier (and have it work out right). If you get your too big dot melty, and swipe a bit of excess off with the tip of your cooler stringer, you can pick up extra glass.