Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2014-07-25, 10:14pm
Gay rights R human rights

Default need help with a diagnosis....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2014-07-26, 4:06am
Phill

I would start with junk in the hoses. It looks like an oxygen issue but dropping fuel pressures could look the same.

Someone in Hawaii was complaining about dirty fuel and we all looked up propane fuel filters. I didn't know that there were so many to chose from.

Another thought would be gummy fuel lines that can happen if you use propane with hoses that are not grad -T-.
Seems the propane chemically attacks the hose lines and the result is a gummy goo that spits kind of like that in to your torch.

If not those then dirty filters in the oxycon is my next guess.
Those machines are so good at chugging along that we forget that there some 2 or 3 filters in them and that they are probably going to need replacing eventually.
I would get some and try them to see if it changes anything. If it doesn't fix it you can just hold on to them in case you do wind up needing them in the future.

Last thought is maybe the oxycon needs more time to build up pressure of high purity o2. They have a 'reservoir' tank of sorts just before the output connection.
Try running the oxycon with the output around 1 or 2 lpm for ten or fifteen minutes before firing up the torch.
This will give it time to come up to high purity and them push all the lower purity air out of the 'reservoir' before your start.
The thought being that if you don't give it a chance to push all the lower quality air out it will just keep mixing with the higher quality air and will take hours to fill the tank with -only- high quality oxygen.
Then you can turn up the lpm and light up.

Ok. Forget about the oxycon stuff.

Could be crap in the o2 line I guess. Is it a new tank? You might have garbage in the tank that got stirred up from moving it around in which case it might settle once it has been still for a day or two.

Any fluctuation in the regulator needles?

Last edited by Speedslug; 2014-07-26 at 4:09am.
Old 2014-07-26, 11:57am
Gay rights R human rights

its not an oxycon issue as I am using tanks right now. the oxy regulator is right beside me and the needles dont move and the pressure remains constant. it sometimes click though. the propane regulator is outside so will have to get hubby to help observe it. I will say that i set the propane at 4psi and when i went out to check it is was down to 1. That regulator is kept outside (under cover and out of the elements) so it may be failling. Its pretty old too. it might be time to replace them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2014-07-28, 6:56am
Gentleman of Leisure

Crank propane regulator up to 5-6 (or more), they (some) do not like to be at really low pressures.... Also its possible that regulator may be starting to fail... If it is "brand name" it can be rebuilt....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2014-08-05, 4:00pm
Now part of the Dark Side

I'm with Dale. Often times propane/acetylene regulators do not like pressures below 5 psi. It helps if you can adjust the reg. While the torch is runnung.