Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-09-02, 10:53am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Default "momkas Glass Testers - September 2006"

For all Testers of Momkas Glass - please post your photos
AND your recipes here.

This month, September, we each received the following glass
and glass products to test:

GYPSY QUEEN ROD - A multi colored rod that appears to be striped with every color in the rainbow

BROWN GLITTER ROD - A very dark brown rod that appears to have tiny sparkles

GREEN DRAGON ROD - and olive/khaki very dark green rod

GYPSY QUEEN FRIT - appears to be size M
GYPSY QUEEN FRIT - appears to be size S
GREEN DRAGON FRIT - appears to be size L
BROWN GLITTER FRIT - appears to be size L

Off to the dungeon. Stay tuned for pictures !

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-09-02, 12:11pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

hmzgrumblepoutdamn...I haven't received it yet!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaarh I hate beeing on the Other Side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-09-02, 12:14pm
needs to light the torch.

I missed out totally!!!

I wanna be a tester *wwwaaaaaaaa* *sulk*

Old 2006-09-02, 12:16pm
traumaqueen

okay I feel better now....but you have a mini....

Old 2006-09-02, 1:03pm
ManBearPig

I only got one size of Gypsy Queen frit. No big deal though. I'm going to be making stuff with it tonight and tomorrow. Planning on trying it with as many techniques as I can - surface work, deep encasement, inside-out, etc.

Old 2006-09-02, 1:12pm
Type ZZZ personality

I'm green with envy! Can't wait to see what ya'll come up with.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-09-02, 4:47pm
AKA Vanna

I worked with it all day today and a little bit yesterday. I didn't get the large Brown Glitter frit either, only fine.

So far so good....I will post picture Monday or Tuesday.

Kim's Klub
. Come on, you know you wanna!!

"Mama, I need one of those beads in Elvis Red, Mint and Bubblegum." My Daughter Austyn, age 6 (Future Glass Artist)
Old 2006-09-02, 4:58pm
In search of her path....

I received Rods of
Gypsy Queen
Brown Glitter
Green Dragon

and 1 bag of frit of each each
Brown glitter and Green dragon were both on the small side for frit brown glitter was very fine, Green dragon was slightly bigger sugar size maybe larger and the gypsy queen I god was larger like probally size 2 frit mabe a lil bigger.

I worked with all of it today with exception of the green and brown frit. I will photograph my results and share them tomorrow I think they came out pretty cool!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-09-02, 5:09pm
McAfee Art Glass

Gypsy Queen rod over clear

Dragon green hollow camera is not picking up the depth of this glass, very nice, worked real smooth

Brown glitter ends with Gypsy Queen frit (looks like small) over clear

All the colors worked real nice with the exception of the brown glitter frit. I received almost a powder and it seemed to wash out I think the larger frit would hold up better for me.
sorry about the pictures will try to get better ones later

Dave

Old 2006-09-02, 5:17pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I didn't realize that some people got different things (my bad).
Ah well, I'm just going to post what I got, and if people got different
things, they can note it in their comments.

I'm very excited with this. Usually when a new color comes out, I
feel SOL about how to work it - but here are a whole bunch of expert
glass addicts playing with the same colors at the same time!

I just finished a massive work session with these new colors
and it was a blast. There is something VERY liberating about limiting your
pallette to only 3 colors + clear. For those of you following this thread - if
you've ever gotten into a creative slump, this is a perfect way to break out!

Personally, I think that I didn't manage to get anything special out of these
colors - but boro is pretty tricky. I didn't strike them before I put them into the
kiln, because I wanted to see the results kiln striking would have on them.

The Brown Glitter seems to look a bit like adventurine as you're working it, but
then the sparkles kind of fade away right before I put it in the kiln. I'm hoping
it will come back when I open 'er up.

Couldn't tell anything about the Green Dragon - I suspect it will look great on some
of the carmely-colors, but since I could only use the clear with it we'll have to wait
till the next torching session.

As for the Gypsy Queen - jurys out on that too. The colors were very vibrant on the
rod, but got a little murky as I was working it. Again, with boro, skys the limit. What
goes in white can come out black, so you never know till the kiln is opened.

T-about 6 hours and counting!!!!

Old 2006-09-02, 5:36pm

I played with Momka last night and today! Last night's results:

The above set was made from a cane of Glitter Brown, Magic Mirror, and Ex. Citrus Grapefruit striped over a clear rod, then used to make the bead and clear cased. I really like the way the colors blend. The Glitter Brown has plenty of sparkle under the clear and stretched out, and the rod melts like butter! It's kind of a greenish brown color, would go well with gemstones. Jewelry designers are gonna love it!

I didn't think we were restricted to using just the test colors together, so I used some other Momka colors when making my beads.

These beads were made with the rod of Gypsy Queen, twisted into latticino, and then clear cased. This is a really cool rod, the clear separation between the color stripes gives them definition and the beads look so intricate! I also made a giant winestopper bead with it but the picture didn't turn out. May post it later.

Both color rods melted easily in a neutral to slightly oxidizing flame, no boiling or reducing, very easy to work with. They're a hit with me!

Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-09-02, 5:38pm

I havent gotten mine yet
B
Old 2006-09-02, 5:42pm

Dave, that bead you made with the Glitter Brown ends and the Gypsy Queen frit in the middle is great! I hadn't quite figured out what to do with the GQ frit yet, it didn't look good on any of the colors I put it on last night (disappeared into them somewhat).

Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-09-02, 5:50pm
McAfee Art Glass

Thanks Anita
I think it will be nice to use them with other colors other than clear. I know several have said they could use it with diff. colors but I still have the original email printed out and it said clear only. I think it gives a more valid base test anyway and if you like the colors then experiment away later.

Dave

Old 2006-09-02, 6:01pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I just checked back on the original thread. Here's the info I copied off there (it DOES appear that it is ok to use it with other MOMKAS'S glass besides clear, someone else besides me should verify this, as I'd like to be certain):

Here are the Rules:
You must do your pieces with only Momka’s Glass (and clear if you like).
This will help us rule out problems that might be triggered by other glass.

The private email I got from Momka only says congrats and such. No instructions. Did anybody else receive any info besides that???

Old 2006-09-02, 6:02pm

Dave, my print out says "You must do your pieces with only Momka's Glass (and clear if you like). This will help us rule out problems that might be triggered by other glass."

So that's what I'm a-gonna do...
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-09-02, 6:05pm
McAfee Art Glass

I am sorry I rechecked to and it appears it is ok to use with other Momka glass plus clear, Now I can really play.

Dave

Old 2006-09-02, 6:05pm

LOL, Karen, you were posting when I was.

No, there was no other communication about this topic after the application.

I can't imagine not being able to use other Momka's colors with the test colors--the small Green Dragon and medium Brown Glitter frit wouldn't show up on any of the rod colors in the current test group.

Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-09-02, 6:19pm
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotflashwanda
I played with Momka last night and today! Last night's results:

The above set was made from a cane of Glitter Brown, Magic Mirror, and Ex. Citrus Grapefruit striped over a clear rod, then used to make the bead and clear cased. I really like the way the colors blend. The Glitter Brown has plenty of sparkle under the clear and stretched out, and the rod melts like butter! It's kind of a greenish brown color, would go well with gemstones. Jewelry designers are gonna love it!

Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Awesome Anita! Yummy!

Old 2006-09-02, 6:25pm

Thanks, Carrie!
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-09-02, 6:54pm
Serenity Now!

Beautiful stuff so far...I, like Suzanne, haven't yet received my goodies...can't wait to play!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-09-02, 11:06pm
traumaqueen

I do have one rod of the gipsy queen here, wich I won in a boro contest so I think I'll be making some beads with it today... at least that way I can pretend to be testing already

Old 2006-09-03, 1:23am

LOL, Suzanne, I'm sure it's the same as the test glass, why not?
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-09-03, 2:52am

Yummy!Those beads are awsome Anita!

Old 2006-09-03, 7:47am
lov'in life!!!

I just got done making 10 beads with the three rods and the frit. I had a BLAST!!! Who knows if they'll turn out but I had so much fun anyways. It was nice just to be able to experiment and not feeling the pressure of having to "perform". KWIM

They are in the kiln now and I will post the pics either later tonight or early tomorrow. Natural gas...don't fail me now, lol

Have a great day everyone!

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2006-09-03, 8:57am
traumaqueen

Krissa I can't wait to see what you made!!!

Old 2006-09-03, 3:37pm
lov'in life!!!

Okay, here are my tester beads. I am pretty happy with the way they turned out. I think my favorite is the Gypsy Queen frit. I am in love with that stuff!!!

This bead is Green Dragon, clear frit and encased

Bead is Momka's Silver Aqua base, rolled in Green Dragon frit melted in, clear frit melted in and encased

Bead is twisted Gypsy Queen rod wrapped on, melted in and encased with clear

Bead is Brown Glitter base, rolled in frit and encased in clear

Bead is Gypsy Queen rod as base, rolled in frit and encased in clear

Bead is Momka's Silver Aqua base, Green Dragon Frit melted in and encased in clear

Bead is Almond Nugget base, Gypsy Queen frit melted in, clear frit melted in and encased (this is my favorite)

Bead is Momka's Silver Aqua base, Gypsy Queen frit melted in, clear frit melted in and encased in clear

Bead is Momka's Silver Aqua base, Brown Glitter frit melted in, clear frit melted in and encased

Bead is Gypsy Queen, with clear ruffle

Group shot

I had a BLAST making these beads. I can't wait to play again. Have fun everyone

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Last edited by FlameDancer; 2006-09-03 at 6:27pm.
Old 2006-09-03, 3:48pm
Virginia Beach, VA

hi guys played again with the testing glass today and used the color only and clear..
first i did 2 sea horses both with the gypsy queen rod, one i encased in clear and the other i smeared on back of a clear blank and pulled my sea horse out. then i made a sea horse out of the green dragon rod and a sea horse made out of the brown glitter only. Then finally i made a lil marble with gypsy queen rod and encased with clear.. here's the pics!!

Old 2006-09-03, 4:08pm
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameDancer

Bead is Almond Nugget base, Gypsy Queen frit melted in, clear frit melted in and encased (this is my favorite)

Bead is Momka's Silver Aqua base, Gypsy Queen frit melted in, clear frit melted in and encased in clear
These are my favorites.

Thank you Krissa for all the clear pictures and variety of 'testers'! Awesome job!

Old 2006-09-03, 4:11pm
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelsh
hi guys played again with the testing glass today and used the color only and clear..
first i did 2 sea horses both with the gypsy queen rod, one i encased in clear and the other i smeared on back of a clear blank and pulled my sea horse out.

WOW, that seahorse is STUNNING