Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-11-30, 5:15pm

Default 24k Gold Casting Grain

I bought some of this stuff for fuming. It turns grey after heating it and does nothing as far as fuming. Since I spent $38 for it I'm a bit distressed. Did I buy the wrong stuff??? Or is it me.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-11-30, 7:31pm
Serenity Now!

Sounds odd...where did ya buy it from?!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-11-30, 7:50pm

Monsterslayer

http://www.monsterslayer.com/

Old 2007-11-30, 7:59pm

I pulled out my receipt and see I ordered 14k, not 24. They don't have 24. I've never bought gold. Is 14k the problem?

Last edited by Rose; 2007-11-30 at 8:04pm.
Old 2007-11-30, 8:41pm
Bliss Junkie

yeah, not pure enough...

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2007-11-30, 11:24pm
Dead man walking

Yup, 14k won't do it. The problem is it's an alloy. They added a bunch of other base metals to it. You need to get near or exactly 24k to be able to fume with it.
Old 2007-11-30, 11:50pm
In search of her path....

yea 14k (as the others have said) wont work but you can get the really good golf leaf /foil ball it up onto itself really tightand compress it and use it the same way. It wont last as long as the casting grain but its more redily available. I think you may only be able to get 24k casting grain at Rio Grand...well thats the only place off the top of my head I can think of...

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-12-01, 6:24am

Thanks everyone. I'll check Rio Grand. DARN, that was an expensive mistake.

Old 2007-12-01, 6:55am
In search of her path....

If you have a university with a metalsmithing program you may be able to sell it to a nearby student

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-12-01, 8:10am
ManBearPig

I use 22k. It fumes easier, sticks better, and it's a little cheaper. I get it from Rio.

Old 2007-12-01, 8:41am

I will be taking a metalsmithing class this spring. So maybe I will find a use for it down the road.

Thanks Cosmo, that helps.

Old 2007-12-01, 1:02pm
Bliss Junkie

where do you get the 22k, i just got some 24k, and i figured it should be easier than it is to get it to stick and build up...

Old 2007-12-01, 2:20pm
ManBearPig

I get it from Rio Grande. The impurities in the 22k make it stick better.

Old 2007-12-01, 2:59pm
Dead man walking

There is also supposed to be a color variation of the fume between the 22k and 24k gold. Supposedly more purples with 22k but I haven't played with it to find out at this point.
Old 2007-12-01, 4:16pm
ManBearPig

I've never seen a variation between the two colors. I've never really seen any purples out of gold fuming by itself anyways, though. The only way I've ever gotten purple is combining silver and gold fuming. I have noticed that I can get a lot more greens and bright gold colors out of 22k than I can out of 24k. It seems to take a lot more fuming with 24k to get the same results.

It could just be the way I work, too...

Old 2007-12-01, 5:57pm
Bliss Junkie

gold has to be 'hot', right? read somewhere that a premix torch is the best way to go...

any suggestions on best using a surface mix torch for the job?

Old 2007-12-01, 7:52pm

My surface works fine,my Mini cc worked fine with gold too.
Just hold it at the tips of your candles.I use a quartz rod.
G.
Old 2007-12-01, 9:15pm

I get purples, pinks, cranberry, peach, and gold plate. I use california placer gold. It is just the right size to fume with, and a little bag lasts a long time. I got it on ebay from this guy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-GRAM-OF-PLACER...QQcmdZViewItem

I have been using it for about 6 months now, and I think I have only used three little pieces. I still have a lot left.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-12-01, 10:40pm
Bliss Junkie

thanks for the heads up... shows no sign of purity, no issues, i guess

Old 2007-12-02, 8:34am

I think that the placer gold is pure enough to fume well, but probably has just enough silver and other impurities in it to give the range of colors. The one thing I will say about it is that I don't have a lot of luck controlling what my ending color is going to be with it. I can get pink on white glass pretty easy, but sometimes purple or peach just show up when I am fuming on clear.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-12-02, 10:04am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbacher View Post
gold has to be 'hot', right? read somewhere that a premix torch is the best way to go...

any suggestions on best using a surface mix torch for the job?
It's not really the heat that's the issue. It needs a lot of oxygen and a lot of pressure. I have a pre-mix and I can fume with it all day long. I have a harder time fuming on concentrators and a surface mix torch in our teaching studio. It can be done, but takes longer and you have to get the flame "just right".

Old 2007-12-02, 11:33am
Bliss Junkie

well, i'll just have to keep practicing... bidding on some of that placer gold too...

Old 2007-12-02, 5:33pm
Ezzy

I was hanging out with a glassblowing friend today and asked if he was using casting grain. He's using a gold maple leaf, but I'm not even sure where you'd buy one.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2007-12-03, 6:31am
ManBearPig

A lot of people go to coin shops and buy gold coins. Then they just cut off a small piece to fume with. That works, but the problem I've found is that not all coins that are sold as 22k are actually 22k. Or 24k or whatever.

Old 2007-12-03, 6:47am

You're right about that Cosmo. I bought a Mexican gold coin and it was way lower in gold content that I needed. There are these small 1/10 gram "ingots" that you can buy that are U.S. stamped and are very pure. That's what I've been using. I got mine at a coin shop, but I've seen them in pawn shops as well.
Old 2007-12-03, 9:40am

Thanks for that info Eric. I'm going to try to win some of that gold. If I get any color, I'd be happy.

Old 2007-12-03, 10:17am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
Thanks for that info Eric. I'm going to try to win some of that gold. If I get any color, I'd be happy.
What kind of results are you getting now?

Old 2007-12-03, 11:08am

Cosmo, read the first post. I got the wrong stuff and got nothing.