LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2008-02-20, 6:18am
Does that shed?

Default Pleated beads?

I have been seeing some beautiful pleated beads and was wondering if there was a tut for them somewhere? I would love to give them a try.

Anzie
Old 2008-02-20, 6:22am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

They are in the Japanese Tonbo Dama book. I haven't watched the dvd but they might be on it too. I think Malcolm from ArtCo sells it. Hope this helps!

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-20, 6:22am
Rose colored glasses…√

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=67739

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-02-20, 6:26am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Oh cool! There are much better descriptions in that thread! Except for the fat ankles, lol!

Kelly

Old 2008-02-20, 6:47am
Does that shed?

Thanks guys. I'll check out that book and DVD, and that thread is a riot. And no I never peeked at the ankles.
Old 2008-02-20, 7:27am
Butterfly Rancher

Love your avatar! And the pleated bead isn't on the Tonba Damba DVD but there is some info in the book -- although that link has a bit more.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-02-21, 6:39am
Who me?

Speaking of pleated beads. I've seen the Tonba Damba book and that works fine for smallish beads.

This can't possibly be the same technique that Michael Barley uses for his long focals? He calls it something to do with a whale.

I thought I read somewhere that he uses a blade or knife to do his but the effect is very similar. I've tried it by pressing ridges into a light pastel base and then press encasing with a color transparent but it doesn't look like MB beads. Maybe I'm to heavy handed. Anyone got any tips for this look on focals?
Old 2008-02-21, 7:40am

I'd love to know this, too. The MB thing.
Old 2008-02-21, 7:51am

These are some pleated beads I made after Kim Adams taught us how to do them in Sept at Hot Times. The Tonba Damba book does it a little different. I encase in clear before marvering into shape. It seems easier to me.
Old 2008-02-21, 8:07am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
These are some pleated beads I made after Kim Adams taught us how to do them in Sept at Hot Times. The Tonba Damba book does it a little different. I encase in clear before marvering into shape. It seems easier to me.

that makes sense. The encasing keeps you from distorting the pleats. So you are starting with say a donut and then marvering to elongate the bead?

I still think MB uses a knife to do his beads - "baleen" is what he calls them.

PS - those are really neat beads - my fav colors and very nice for a bracelet.
Old 2008-02-21, 8:16am
Detail G-Mama!

The MB thing is totally different but I'm not giving it up! I made a pleated bead yesterday going from the Tonba book. It looked great till I added my chintz flowers on top!

Old 2008-02-21, 8:31am

Linda....I make a good size disk bead, put on the twist and melt down. Then encase with a good bit of clear and then start to heat and marver. The larger you want the bead the bigger your disk and encasing should be. And I don't know anything about MB beads.
Old 2008-02-21, 10:04am
Crazy Snake Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
This can't possibly be the same technique that Michael Barley uses for his long focals? He calls it something to do with a whale.
That technique is called 'baleen' I believe. I've been trying to figure it out without much luck so far. Anyone have any tips?
Old 2008-02-21, 10:12am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
The MB thing is totally different but I'm not giving it up! I made a pleated bead yesterday going from the Tonba book. It looked great till I added my chintz flowers on top!
Stinker

Wish MB was giving a class near me.
Old 2008-02-21, 10:39am
Detail G-Mama!

His class was great! Ya know, ya might try emailing him, it couldn't hurt!

Old 2008-02-21, 11:07am
Crazy Snake Lady

I never have the money for any of the classes I want to take even when someone comes this way (west coast)....
Old 2008-02-21, 12:26pm

Hi!
I made a youtube video about pleated beads. You can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP0WCd424c4

For a good 3d-effect it is important to use enough clear in the cane. I make it this way: lollie in white or another light opaque color, then two dark transparent colors on both sides, then I add clear on one side (no matter which). Twist tight and use for the bead.

Melt the twistie down and encase with clear, but be careful to add the clear only to those parts of the bead that have some cane on it, otherwise the cane will not spread properly all the way to the mandrel.

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2008-02-21, 12:42pm

Very helpful video, thank you. I was trying to make this type of bead last weekend, and could not get the pattern to spread to the ends of the bead at the mandrel. But, watching your video, I can see that I was not using enough clear, and not adding extra clear on the ends of the bead. Can't wait to try again.....
Old 2008-02-21, 1:52pm

Here is a Bead and Button interview with Michael mentioning baleen...http://www.beadandbutton.com/BNB/Obj...bpdf070492.pdf
xiola

Old 2008-02-21, 4:26pm

Verena, thank you so much for the video. A picture says a thousand words and a video says it all.
Old 2008-02-23, 1:12pm

Default pleated beads

These were from the second night of trying. They are so addicting!
Attached Images

Old 2008-02-23, 1:36pm
I speak Murrini!

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! How beautiful....I'm SOOOOOOOOOO impressed!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-02-23, 2:25pm

Carol, your pleated beads are beautiful!!!

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2008-02-23, 2:34pm

Thanks DeAnne and Verena! My DH hardly says anything when I show him my beads but he loved these .

I was trying out a larger bead with different colors a bit ago so I could make an elongated bead like in the gorgeous bracelet by Pat.........the phone rang. That pretty much ended that experiment. When I get back I'll try again!
Old 2008-02-24, 3:40pm

Can I ask a rude question? When did twisty beads become pleated beads?

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-02-24, 3:53pm
Isinglass Design

Thanks for all this info, everybody. I'd never even heard of pleated beads! And, I never knew you could read any articles from Bead and Button on the internet!

Laurie
Old 2008-02-25, 8:19am

Default does this look like a "baleen" bead?

First, a reply to "rude Laura:" (LOL) I think they became pleated beads (at least for me) when I made a distinction in the 3-D look of the "pleated" beads. I make a LOT of twistie beads - and most don't have that 3-D effect.

So, the baleen thing. I tried a couple this weekend. I have never seen a Barley one in person (finances and life prevented me from taking his class the last time he was in Austin), but here's my interpretation from the pictures I've seen. If they're even close, let me know, and I'll be happy to share my how-to (which may be (probably isn't!) even close to MB).

(Sorry sorry sorry about all the smutz on the pictures - I wanted them kind of big so you could see the effect, but we have 5 long-haired dogs - dusting is an almost daily thing, and obviously on this day I decided to take pictures rather than dust!)
Attached Images

Old 2008-02-25, 8:23am
Detail G-Mama!

I think you might have figured that out! Looks great!

Old 2008-02-25, 8:27am

Thanks, Anne! Love you girl and wish I saw you more often. I know, I know - go to Fireflies, right?
Old 2008-02-25, 8:34am
Detail G-Mama!

yup! love ya too!