Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-14, 12:33pm
Just me

Wink Karen Hardy, you made me wonder about my eye protection.

Hi everybuddy,
Actually, I've been wondering about this for a while now (just taking an opportunity to pick on Karen) and have been meaning to ask. Since reading another thread I decided it's time to get the information and see where I stand.

I have a pair of didys (with side sheilds) I got with my HH set up back in '02. A couple years ago I moved to a Piranha and am wondering if my didys are still good to go? I do intend to make beads for a very long time and was wondering if over the long run these would be adequate or should I buy something else?

I have noticed with some dark colored or silvered glass rods I will sometimes see spots for a few seconds after super heating it. I'm sure this isn't normal or good for my eyes. (I try not to look at it when this is happening)

Do I need more eye protection and what would I need to get?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2008-06-14 at 3:44pm.
Old 2008-06-14, 1:32pm
Smooches!

Bubbyann,
I am certainly no expert, but I believe that Didy's are no longer considered adequate protection, as something better has come out - i.e. the "Ace" lenses.

Go to Phillips website or Aura lens and double check.

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-06-14, 1:44pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

soda lime glass is not dangerous - didys are so you can see better, not actual protection. If you use boro, you need eye protection for the health of your eyes, but if it just soft glass, use what works for you.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-06-14, 2:47pm
Sparkle Strumpet

Didy's are fine for soft glass.....OSHA says that the glare isn't harmful, and we need impact protection, but not harmful glare.

If you want to spend more, spend more.

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2008-06-14, 3:38pm
Just me

Thanks for your advice everyone.
I am still thinking about what I should do.
I've been doing some research and find all the information to be somewhat confusing. The information is kind of all over the board.