No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-02, 5:23pm
Bead Lady

Default Chili Pepper - Buying one used

Hi all,

I've been looking to buy a new toolbox-style kiln...I found someone who wants to sell their Chili Pepper kiln - they bought it and never used it. I'd gotten the impression that since they said that it was brand-new that it was a year or two old. When I asked to see the receipt from when they purchased it - they had purchased it in 2008. So, a 4 your old kiln. It is brand new in the box and clearly never been used.

Some questions: Is the current Chili Pepper model the same as a Chili Pepper from 4+ years ago? That is, does anyone know if the kiln has changed/gotten better or worse in the last several years?

They want $500 for it. Does this seem reasonable given the age of the kiln, and the fact that it has never been used?

Advice?

JP
Old 2012-09-02, 5:32pm

I can't answer your 'age' question. I happened to be looking at Chili Peppers online today. I see one at http://heritageglass.com with a digital controler for $575 new, $485 without the digital controler. So, I guess it depends on whether it is digital.
Old 2012-09-02, 6:18pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

The warranty is expired, so that should account for some reduction in price. It would be up to you as to what that is worth compared to a covered kiln. Otherwise it should be about equal in value to a new one if it is in factory condition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-09-04, 6:18pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

A brand new kiln, in a box, in a closet, forgotten for 4 years. So sad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-09-04, 6:27pm
Bead Lady

Well, I bought it...and to re-programed it. Someone who did not know what they were doing had set it to silly things like ramp to 32 degree in 7 hours and hold for 0 minutes. Seems to work great, and glad to have rescued it from the darkness.