No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-25, 6:47pm
Lampworkaholic!

Default Difference between Enamel and Powder Frit

I know there is a difference, but what is it? Enamel is finely ground glass. How is it differentiated from powder glass frit?

I've been told that the difference is that powder frits are reactive and enamels are not. But, from a technical perspective, what is the reason for that?

Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-09-25, 7:09pm

Other than the fineness of the grain size I don't know the difference either, but I believe the difference may be an inclusion of a flux agent to help with melting at a lower temp. It may be the reason enamel colors don't mix to make a new color as frit can do.

Andrea
Old 2012-09-25, 8:09pm

I believe the pigmentation/color saturation in enamels is far greater than in most glass powder. There are probably differences in composition as well, but the color density is what I've noticed most.

Mimi
Old 2012-09-25, 9:20pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

http://www.glassfacts.info/indexe14a.html?fid=191

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-09-26, 5:35am
Lampworkaholic!

Lori that is exactly what I was looking for. I'm not sure why the higher metal content makes enamel less reactive, but I guess it must.

I know the COE of enamel for metals is more that twice as high as the COE of enamel for glass. Now I am wondering how that is accomplished.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-09-26, 9:24am
T.J. made me do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Lori that is exactly what I was looking for. I'm not sure why the higher metal content makes enamel less reactive, but I guess it must.

I know the COE of enamel for metals is more that twice as high as the COE of enamel for glass. Now I am wondering how that is accomplished.
I spoke with the chemist at Thompson last winter and was told that enamels for metal were 85-120 COE.

Old 2012-09-26, 12:53pm
Lampworkaholic!

The Thompson website states, for metal enamels, "Coefficient of expansion range: 258-360 cubic expansion."

Maybe there is a difference between cubic and linear CoEs?

Old 2012-09-26, 9:57pm
T.J. made me do it

Quote:
The Thompson website states, for metal enamels, "Coefficient of expansion range: 258-360 cubic expansion."

Maybe there is a difference between cubic and linear CoEs?
Give them a call. I can't remember the name of the person I talked to but he was super nice and chatty.

Old 2012-09-27, 1:16pm
Artistically Absorbed

They mix the pigments and metals with different COEs.They have some for 104 the 9000 series, one for 90-96, 7000 series, There are also ones for window glass, and metals, don't know the series # for those. Reusche actually makes some that have a around 50 coe that some people have been using with boro.

-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-09-27, 1:52pm
Lampworkaholic!

Thanks, I may give Thompson a call. What I was thinking about was adding some glass to enamel on copper (using the enamel made for copper), but I suspect the enamel would crack.

Old 2012-10-03, 9:18pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

Quote:
Thanks, I may give Thompson a call. What I was thinking about was adding some glass to enamel on copper (using the enamel made for copper), but I suspect the enamel would crack.
You can add lampwork detailing over enamel on copper, and you can mix some enamels with frit powder. I've mixed Z99 powder with a couple of different purple enamels, Gaffer copper green powder with willow and bitter green enamel, a Gaffer orange with pink enamel, and had no cracking.
Old 2012-10-04, 6:49am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluhealer View Post
You can add lampwork detailing over enamel on copper, and you can mix some enamels with frit powder. I've mixed Z99 powder with a couple of different purple enamels, Gaffer copper green powder with willow and bitter green enamel, a Gaffer orange with pink enamel, and had no cracking.
Thanks for the info! I'm planning to enamel some copper melon beads. I'm wondering if I could use Z99 straight over a flux coat. And would I be better off using a leaded flux or unleaded? I guess I can try some samples on copper scrap first.

Old 2020-04-22, 7:42pm

Default hi.

Did you try Frit on top of enamel?