No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-05-03, 6:07pm
Stainedglassman

Default Bead release popping off

I have been having a problem lately with bead release popping off when I put the coated rod into the flame prepering to start with the glass rod when the release cracks and flakes off. The coated rods have been dried at least 24 hours and I have tried several different bead release brands. This was never a problem in the past. Sometimes it works OK and the next time the release starts to pop off. I work in a garage that I have kept at 65 degrees and use a minor torch with propane and an oxygen generator. Have used the rods for a long time. Anyone had this problem in thr past and maby has an answer.
Thanks, Stainedglassman
Old 2011-05-03, 6:16pm
one day at a time

If your mandrels are new, then rough them up with some steel wool. I find it unusual that this happening with all of your bead releases, so that's why I think it's the mandrels.
Old 2011-05-03, 6:46pm

I was having the same issue. I thought maybe it was the type of bead release I was using...and it didn't matter how thin or thick it was either...it was still flaking off.

then - I wondered if maybe because my workspace is in the garage that my rods are "soaking up" oil and chemicals floating in the air.

so I cleaned up my mandrels with baking soda, rinsed them really good and then after I dipped them, I left them in the house.

I did 5 beads yesterday and they all held tight.

I don't know if it really helped but it was nice to get something accomplished without having to stop working on a bead because the release has falled off and the glass is
ready to slide all over the mandrel.

just in case - I'll keep my mandrels in the house and take them out when i work.
oh - plus...since I am almost out I am going to try some of the new release that
I saw a post on LE just recently.
Old 2011-05-03, 6:56pm
And silence is golden

Humidity? Too dry of air? Perhaps the rods didn't get washed between torch sessions?
Old 2011-05-03, 7:15pm

i have used a release from Devardi called easy release with no popping. I recently tried Dirty Looies and have found that I have to dip the mandrels twice and it is still very difficult to get the beads off but I did have some slight popping when I was only using it with one dipping.

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2011-05-03, 7:17pm
I'm meeeeelting

Be sure to heat the bead release slowly.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.