Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-01-02, 12:32pm
"WOO HOO What a Ride"

Default buying cameras on the web use caution

I recently got a new camera and most of my research was done here at LE in The Dark Room. Thanks everyone for your posts.

I ended up purchasing a Canon Powershot IS-S5. I haven't had a chance to play yet, I will let you know the results when I have them.

My warning is be careful where you make your purchases. I ordered a package deal, for a very good price, from a company which an LE member had stated they had a good experience with. Then it got weird. I got an email the next day to contact customer service. When I got hold of customer service they said I couldn't purchase that product because (oh let me count the ways).........it was not ready to use as is/could not be sold in the US because it didn't have the USA stamp/I would need to buy more products/usually sold to be repackaged. WHAT? There were too many weird reasons I couldn't buy it at the stated price, it would cost me $160 more to actually buy it but they would give me $100 off. I didn't believe it would really end there.

Needless to say I canceled the order. I suppose I could have purchased it for the extra $60 but if you ask me the company participated in false advertising. I will not give my hard earned money to sketchy companies.

I don't like to trash companies but I don't want anyone getting ripped off.
I would be extra careful if buying from USAPhotoNation.com. Make sure you know exactly what you are paying for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by emakaye; 2008-01-02 at 12:34pm.
Old 2008-01-02, 12:47pm
Peerless Thread Killer

Hi Ema,
Thanks for posting this warning-it sounds like a totally classic scam that they were trying to get you on. I hope you hadn't given them your payment information yet. If so, I would seriously check your credit card bill when it comes in, just to be sure.

Old 2008-01-02, 1:14pm
"WOO HOO What a Ride"

Oooooh Nina,

I hadn't even thought about that. Because I had infact filled out the online forms. Ugggh!
Thanks for the heads up. I am going to check my card on line right now.
Update:
No unauthorized charges were made to my credit card.

Last edited by emakaye; 2008-01-02 at 1:21pm.
Old 2008-01-15, 2:04am

Make sure it has a usa warrenty as well ,as if any thing happens to it , it will have to go back across seas for repair.
Old 2008-01-15, 3:08am
<--- Time traveler

I had a similar experience years ago. I ordered a camera online and I got a message for weeks saying it was out of stock. But their other emails to me made it clear that if I would only order a few hundred dollars' worth of accessories, it would magically be in stock again. I ended up going to Sears and taking advantage of their price matching offer, plus I offered to pay an additional $20 because the online seller gave free shipping (easy to do if you never ship). I saved a lot of money and, after all that time, got instant gratification. But when I buy another higher-end camera I will purchase it through one of the major, tried-and-true camera sellers like B&H.
Old 2008-01-15, 10:18pm
I play with FIRE!!

If it makes anyone feel any better their site no longer comes up but just gives the message, "Unfortunately we are no longer taking new orders.If you have any questions concerning old orders, or issues with returns please contact us via email at service@usaphotonation.com or by phone at 800-872-3143."
I almost bought my Canon 40D from them this year, but after calling them and getting the "package" run around and my brother explained the whole "grey" market vs "import" vs "US" version, I ran away as fast I could and ordered from Ritz camera online. I actually got one of the best deals out there, several $100 below market (Best Buy etc) price, free shipping, no tax and 90d to pay.
You do have to be Very careful when ordering electronic equipment online, esp from vendors you aren't familiar with. One awesome success story though, my husband wanted the new Garmin 760 GPS when it was advertised for pre-order. I found it for a great price at a Marine (fishing) online store for several $100 below MSRP/advertised price and again with no tax or shipping. During our 4 month wait (hazard of pre-order) Garmin offered a $100 rebate and the store dropped our price another $100 dollars. Needless to say, he was very happy with both his new toy and the price tag!
Just shop smart, read tons of reviews (product and company) and don't impulse buy from shops you personally aren't familiar with - always do your homework.

Old 2008-01-19, 12:49pm
Mummy to 3 Little Elves

Before you buy any big ticket item online you really need to research the selling company. There are scams out there but I have bought several cameras online in the past few years and not run into any problems because I did several searches on them online. Also, please use a good camera reviewing website (like www.dpreview.com) when considering a camera purchase.

Old 2008-03-06, 3:15pm

Don't buy from 86th Street Photo and Video. They use the same tactics (it's probably the same company with a different name). The salesman actually lied to me about the camera and the extra battery he insisted that I needed. When I called to return it the other person was unbelievably rude. He informed me that if I returned it, there would be at least a 20% restocking fee. We argued for a few minutes and then he offered a free extended warranty if I would keep the camera, which I accepted. Boy, I sure wish I had read this thread first! Next time I need to buy expensive equipment I'll go to a local shop where I can get help if I need it and return it if there is a problem.

Old 2008-03-07, 11:23am
ManBearPig

USA Photo Nation is notorious for that.

Stick with established companies. www.bhphotovideo.com and www.beachcamera.com are two of my favorites.