Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2010-06-15, 1:12pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Hopefully my box made it there OK. There were a bunch of butterflies and hearts and bunches of Courage beads.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-15, 5:18pm
And silence is golden

Several years back, a group of lampwork artists, (including yourself Lori), sent me their orphans so that I could design my display cases. The beads were also used as props for photography work of my display cases. The project has yet to get off the ground. I no longer need this horde of beads. Not all of the artists wanted them back. Therefore, I feel that Beads of Courage might gladly make use of these.

I have gone through as many as I can to make sure that they are properly cleaned with my diamond reamer. However, I don't know if all have been properly kiln annealed. With my kiln acting up latlely, I don't want to take a chance of them not being annealed correctly. Perhaps whomever these get sent to, will see to it that they get a chance to be annealed. Any feedback on this idea??

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-15, 5:38pm

Aleta,
Check your PM. I can help

Robert
Old 2010-06-15, 6:36pm
And silence is golden

Thank you Mr. Simmons!
Old 2010-07-02, 8:22pm
Wendy

What's the age limit for the children in the BoC program?

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2010-07-03, 2:55pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Can you tell me if these frogs would be acceptable? I make sure the feet, legs and body are seated well on the bead. It would take focused effort to break an arm or the head away. I figured I ought to ask before I make more!

Old 2010-07-12, 7:28am

Default Frog hearts

Those are absolutely the most wonderful! I hope they take them!
Old 2010-07-12, 7:35am

Richard, I am trying to think of a way I can help, but I have not learned lamp working yet. I'm still just fusing. So I was thinking I can do little cabachons with some of these things the kids are looking for - characters, princess theme, etc. - included or encased in the glass, or I can encase butterflies for a butterfly bead. I can do oval or round or heart-shaped cabachons and wire wrap them, so they would by like a pendant. Or I can just put a finding on the back (it's a little hard to wire wrap a heart so it stays put). OK they won't be as cute as those frogs on the hearts, but they have a little personality. I just learned about the program this morning, and I want to contribute something... *sigh* if you say no, then I'll just have to donate cash, which is boring.

Jackie
Old 2010-07-12, 4:43pm
Obsessed Blogger

They're wonderful Kristina! All beads are welcome and can be used in one way or another. I know what the purple hearts can be used for!

As for age limits of the kids...there really aren't any. If they can be seen in a pediatric setting, they can be part of the program. We are piloting a NICU unit and have kids who have been receiving treatment for many years, such as heart transplant recipients...they go all the way up until they transition into adult care...probably for the rest of their lives.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions if that didn't help!

::
Old 2010-07-23, 8:50am
Mr Brutus RIP

I've got a bunch made and will get them ready for mailing......should be able to mail out on monday!! I'm going to take pics and put them in the thread niki started!!
Sue

Old 2010-08-09, 4:16pm

I know we can't use reduction glasses...but does the Raku count? I made a turtle with raku on his shell, and then I was like

If you can still use it, great...if not, I just get to make more turtles!

Old 2010-08-13, 5:48am

I haven't done the testing on the various versions of Raku. For the moment I'm recommending against it until I can get time on the system to look at it. If it's encased it's OK, just not on the surface.

Robert
Old 2010-10-29, 8:22am
I speak Murrini!

Sending a Donation today....
Most have a big hole for easy stringing.

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-10-29, 9:35am

Looks great! Thank you.

Robert
Old 2010-11-02, 7:23pm

I've heard of several diffrent methods of cleaning beads, and what is the perfered method for cleaning the beads for the program?
Old 2010-11-03, 6:50am

Just be sure that you've got the bead release out of the hole and that the hole has smooth edges. Beyond that, s simple rinse should do the job.

Robert
Old 2010-11-22, 10:21am
Megra Farbot

I have some butterflies wire wrapped and ready to go......Should I send them in little gift boxes, or seperate plastic bags?

Thanks
Old 2010-11-22, 10:38am

Separate bags would be good. Thanks very much, unfortunately we always need butterflies.

Robert
Old 2010-11-25, 4:03pm
grama punky - class junky

Greetings, I have a whole pile of orphan beads I am sending off. I think this is a great cause. I was recently in a hospital in Duluth MN and a couple of the nurses were wearing their name tags on strands of lampwork pendants. When I complimented one of them she said, they were dontated for beads of courage but because they had so many, the nures get to have them too. Now I dont doubt the nurses work hard but this felt a little...odd to me. My hope is beads get sent to hospitals who currently dont receive so they can get to more kids.

Old 2010-11-29, 1:19pm
Obsessed Blogger

Lizzydee...thanks for communicating that. That is NOT what the beads should be used for and will look into it. It is odd indeed...ALL of those beads should be going to kids.

Old 2010-12-18, 8:05am
Blue Diamond Glassworks

Maybe I missed it -- but what do you mean by wire wrapped? Do you just mean putting it on a head pin with a large loop or something more intricate. Could you post a picture of what you mean?

Phyllis Chandler
Blue Diamond Glassworks
Old 2010-12-18, 5:30pm

Here's an example of how I set up wire wrapped butterfly beads. Fairly simple, but I like to use 20 ga. wire as it's a bit stronger than most headpins. Make a tinly loop at the bottom and use a 3mm bead as a stopper if the bead was made on a 3/32 mandrel.
Robert

Old 2010-12-19, 10:56am
FlameTree Glass, Inc.

Hi Robert,
Thanks for all your great work with The Beads of Courage Program! You are a great man, a wonderful lampworker, and a dear friend. Take care of yourself Robert, and keep up the great work with this cheerful program for the children; Beads of Courage!
Love and Best Regards,
Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year 2011!
See ya later!
Let's get together and encase some paperweights!
Lance McRorie
FlameTree Glass, Inc.
Historic Roswell, GA

1-888-FLAMETREEE

Last edited by FlameTree Glass; 2010-12-19 at 11:00am.
Old 2010-12-20, 7:05am
Blue Diamond Glassworks

Thanks Robert. That tells me exactly what I need to know.

Phyllis
Old 2010-12-22, 8:21am

Recently I have gone through my bead storage and set aside whole bunch of odds and ends. I did not know what to do with them, but if I could donate them to your organization, I would be more than happy to do so. My beads are flameworked and annealed. They are all cleaned, too. My question is do they have to be butterflies? Mine are not. Please answer this question before I can ship them out. Thanks for your good work. Sachiko L.
Old 2010-12-22, 10:14am

Quote:
Recently I have gone through my bead storage and set aside whole bunch of odds and ends. I did not know what to do with them, but if I could donate them to your organization, I would be more than happy to do so. My beads are flameworked and annealed. They are all cleaned, too. My question is do they have to be butterflies? Mine are not. Please answer this question before I can ship them out. Thanks for your good work. Sachiko L.
Hi Sachiko,
No, your beads don't have to be butterflies, my picture was just an example. We need lots and lots of just what you are describing - beads that will capture the imagination of a child and help them get through tough times. Your beads would be very welcome, indeed.
Thanks
Robert
Old 2010-12-28, 10:18am
Salt Box Beads

I might have missed this somewhere in the previous posts, what kind of wire can we use for the wrapping?

Lorraine
Old 2011-01-02, 11:18pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

Robert uses 20 ga wire, Lorraine.
Doesn't say what KIND though...

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2011-01-03, 7:01am

I've been using silver plated jewelry wire for these. I'd prefer Sterling or Argentium but I simply can't afford it. The volume that I go through is high as I wire wrap my own butterflies and hearts as well as very many donated beads before they go out to Tucson.

Robert
Old 2011-02-13, 7:43pm
lonelybead

Dear All members

I living in Thailand
(just a beginer for making glass bead)

Many times I had good advice, techniques, knowledge,
about how to make glass beads here.

Now is my chance to give here in return.
I has some of my works. (all kiln annealed)
It may be not very pretty.
But I truelly want to share.

Is this should be the address for sending beads donation?

Beads of Courage
10501 E. Seven Generations Way
Suite 161
Tucson, AZ 85747

Thank you very much

Lonelybead
Attached Images

Last edited by LoriGreenberg; 2011-05-03 at 10:47pm.