Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2011-02-14, 8:20am

Yes, that is the correct mailing address. Thank you for your donation.

Robert
Old 2011-02-23, 6:28pm

I have sent off an e-mail to our local childrens hospital to see if they have anything like this available. I think it's a great idea.
How many lampworkers would it take to support a program like this? I am in the Maritimes and the IWK Health Centre is the main children's hospital for several provinces. But, we don't have any official bead making chapter here. How difficult would it be to round up the support?
Old 2011-02-24, 11:57am
Obsessed Blogger

Hi Joanne.

Email Colin Smith at
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

She handles program sponsors. She may redirect you to Victoria Plouffe who is handling the Canadian sites but Colin will be the first contact.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-05, 12:04pm
Wonder-wench

Thank you for keeping this program running. I just sent a small box of odd beads to Tucson. They are all cleaned and digital kiln annealed. Feel free to toss out any that are not suitable.

Old 2011-03-09, 3:02pm

I have a few questions and can't seem to find the answers to them. If they have been answered before I apologize. I don't want to send beads out that are going to be unsuitable for donation.

I understand about beads that are made with metals or have a metallic surface are not given to the children because of potential skin reactions. I'm curious about beads made using metals such as foil, brass, wire, silver glasses or silvered stringers. If the bead is encased are they ok to send?

I have a boat load of off mandrel hearts that I have been practicing on using silvered ivory stringer as a surface decoration. These hearts are not encased. There is no exposed metal on them just the melted in SIS. Are they ok to send?

My last question is about the letter/tax receipt you send out after receiving a donation. It doesn't show a dollar amount for the beads that were donated. How do I know how much I should designate at tax time as a donated amount? Is there a standard amount for each donated bead?

I'm more of a hobby bead maker and don't sell my beads so I'm not sure what is appropriate to claim as a donation amount. I'll appreciate your help. CarrieB

I found answers to my bead questions on the BOC web site.

Last edited by carrieb; 2011-03-09 at 3:40pm. Reason: added additional info
Old 2011-03-15, 3:22pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Hi,

I want to be really clear on what's ok for the kiddos, so how do I know what frit is reduction frit and needs to be encased?
A soft glass that goes silver, like I think dk. turq, does that need to be encased?
Seashell pink?
If I already did some that are not encased can they be used in some way?
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-03-21, 11:23am
Obsessed Blogger

Any glass that when reduced (or some even oxidated/ized?) that bring silver to the surface are considered a metallic surface. I can't vouch for each color. If it visibly has metallic effects on the surface, those are the ones we're talking about.

A good alternative to turquoise that goes metallic is dk. sky blue.It doesn't go metallic so much.

All beads can be used Rowyn! Just package them separately and note that they have metallic surfaces and to use for something other than beads for the kids strands. You can say I told you so on the note
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Karen, the bead donation volunteer can ask me what it means if she needs to.

Old 2011-03-22, 12:36pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Oh good! Thank you Lori

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-03-28, 7:31am

can they use some ok newbie beads i have cleaned them out they are not as spectulcar as most i have seen but i realy realy want to help the kids i got a large hand full of random beads.Hopefully i can get better and start making purple hearts for all those kids who are going to beat what ails them would love to be part of this process.

My Etsy
Old 2011-03-28, 4:12pm
Obsessed Blogger

They can use all beads, Audra. Just make sure there are no sharp edges on them. If anyone ever has any with sharp edges, it is acceptable to grind them down.

Old 2011-03-29, 2:17pm

I have some slightly wonky hollow BHB's that I could fill with beads or glitter and then cap and core to send in. Could BOC use these type of beads, and would they be OK if capped and cored in brass?

Old 2011-04-12, 10:04am
Obsessed Blogger

New address for Beads of Courage bead donations:

Beads of Courage
10501 E. Seven Generations Way
Suite 161
Tucson, AZ 85747

Old 2011-05-01, 7:40am
Oinky Oink!

I think I might have asked this in a wrong thread before and sorry to ask again but I was wondering if 5/64 hole size is too small?

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-05-03, 10:47pm
Obsessed Blogger

Nope. That is good!

Old 2011-05-04, 6:33am

Hi Lori,

I have accumulated quite a few beads since I donated last time. Probably over 500 fairly good sized beads. The box has gotten very heavy. I live here in Tucson. Does the BOC location have business hours that I can just deliver the box in person so I can avoid avoid shipping them? If they do, are they open on the weekends?

Thanks for your help,
Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2011-05-12, 1:21pm
Obsessed Blogger

Hi Jeannie. Call HQ...there is a storefront now in Civano.

Old 2011-06-23, 8:07pm

Is exposed goldstone acceptable?

Thanks
Caroline
Old 2011-06-24, 6:05am

Yes, exposed goldstone is fine. It is a copper material and is not one of the CPSC-prohibited materials.

Robert
Old 2011-06-24, 7:07am
Confused as usual

Wow this is great and I cannot wait until I am able to donate some beads to this project it will now be one of my 1st goals : )
Old 2011-07-07, 4:58am
Glass-scaper

Will you be in Louisville? Could I deliver a box-o-beads at the Gathering?
Old 2011-08-20, 11:22am
Crazy Snake Lady

5 pounds of beads on the way!
Old 2011-08-20, 11:29am

Wonderful!

Robert
Old 2011-08-23, 1:30pm

I've just recently started this wonderful hobby. I don't have a kiln and no plans (or funds!) in the near future to get one. Right now, my beads go into a fiber blanket after torching them. I understand that this is not truly annealing them? I would love to donate but don't want to send beads that can't be used. Is there anything I can do?
Old 2011-08-23, 4:45pm
Loving learning

Where are you? Maybe someone nearby would do the annealing for you. I would do it if you're near me (or want to mail them to me) north of Tampa, FL.
Old 2011-08-23, 8:12pm

I'm in SE Wisconsin. I don't know of anybody else where I live that does anything like this. I don't have a great many right now. I just started doing this two weeks ago. All of the beads I have right now are as the result of experimenting with different techniques. In other words...there are no two that are alike.
Old 2011-08-23, 8:58pm
Loving learning

Well keep me in mind. I'm a little less new, but probably only have done around 100 beads so far (maybe less) and I'm making many of them for BOC. I sent off my first beads already, and am gathering for another box, and will be doing more after that. So if you get enough needing annealing & want to send them to me, I can include them in my box, and will put them in a baggie with the donation sheet if you want. Or I could mail them back to you so you can have the fun of sending the box yourself.
Or maybe someone from closer will see this & offer to anneal for you, either way I'm good!
Old 2011-08-23, 9:56pm

Thanks so much! I was poking around the forums today and stumbled across the free tutorials Fine Folly Glassworks posted. They showed how to make little animals. I might be able to manage a worm...gonna give it a try anyway! I only have about 20 beads done right now. I'm so new I don't even have a method for cleaning the release out of the beads yet! But when I have some ready to go, I definitely let you know. Thanks again!
Old 2011-08-25, 2:30am
Formerly NurseKatie :)

I am sorry to be lazy and not read EVERYTHING to find the answer! You you accept BHB that are cored and capped? If we core and cap with brass is that more acceptable? I understand no silver glass showing, just wasn't sure about coring and capping with metals. Thank you in advance!

Old 2011-08-25, 3:38pm

Coring and capping with brass should be OK. The problem with silver glass is that sometime the 'silver' is something else (lead, zinc, etc) and it's hard to tell them apart without a spectrometer. I don't think that anyone would use lead for this, so I don't see a problem.

Robert
Old 2011-08-26, 2:49am
Formerly NurseKatie :)

Thanks Robert!