Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-01-02, 5:47am
Safety ALWAYS

Code (NFPA) dictates that no more than 20 PSI of fuel gas be allowed to "penetrate" a structural wall. This minimizes the amount of fuel gas that could leak and cause an explosion.

It's the same reason a 20 pound bbq tank is not allowed in a residence.

Full tank pressure is around 100 PSI (depending on the temperature). If there was a leak, a 20 pound tank would empty itself in a fairly short time, filling the room with an explosive mixture of gas. If I remember correctly, the explosive percentage of propane is in the 3-4% range (meaning that only 3-4% of the "air" in a room needs to be propane to reach explosive content), and remember that propane is heavier than air and displaces air, so it puddles in the lowest place, where, it will be close to 100%.

At a maximum of 20 PSI through the wall, and honestly, the most you should ever run is about 10 PSI, it will take much longer to reach explosive content.

My run is fairly short, about 15 feet total and I keep my regulator on the tank, and set to 5 PSI.

If you have fluctuation issues, I'd put a 10 PSI regulator on the tank and another regulator on the line right at the final valve before it transitions to the "T" grade rubber hose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-02, 7:04am
Nah, not really...;)

I skimmed over this thread quickly, so forgive me if the answer is already here, and I didn't want to start a new thread, eek.

My propane reg has locked up before so, can you recommend a 'brand' regulator for outside even if the temp gets to freezing? Maybe a link?

Old 2007-01-02, 8:21am
Safety ALWAYS

There are many brand regulators. Talk to your local welding shop. You need an acetylene/propane regulator with a max pressure of no more than 15 PSI.

Don't let them sell you a fuel gas regulator with more than 15 PSI of usable pressure. Typically, we use a max of about 5 PSI, and 5 PSI on a 15 PSI regulator is in the 1/3 range, and you should get good adjustability from that. I've seen regs sold by some supply companies that have a range of 0-60 PSI, and you just can't set an accurate pressure on those.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-01-02, 10:11am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
Code (NFPA) dictates that no more than 20 PSI of fuel gas be allowed to "penetrate" a structural wall. This minimizes the amount of fuel gas that could leak and cause an explosion.

It's the same reason a 20 pound bbq tank is not allowed in a residence.

Full tank pressure is around 100 PSI (depending on the temperature). If there was a leak, a 20 pound tank would empty itself in a fairly short time, filling the room with an explosive mixture of gas. If I remember correctly, the explosive percentage of propane is in the 3-4% range (meaning that only 3-4% of the "air" in a room needs to be propane to reach explosive content), and remember that propane is heavier than air and displaces air, so it puddles in the lowest place, where, it will be close to 100%.

At a maximum of 20 PSI through the wall, and honestly, the most you should ever run is about 10 PSI, it will take much longer to reach explosive content.

My run is fairly short, about 15 feet total and I keep my regulator on the tank, and set to 5 PSI.

If you have fluctuation issues, I'd put a 10 PSI regulator on the tank and another regulator on the line right at the final valve before it transitions to the "T" grade rubber hose.
Yah!..

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-01-02, 10:19am
Gentleman of Leisure

About Regulators.... You may not even need an adjustable regulator... An low cost appliance regulator (similar to BBQ regulator also called "pancake" regulator) with a set pressure of 2psi may be all you need.... Check with propane supplier (not just tank fill place-gas station) to see if a "set pressure" regulator may be available....

This is what I used with borrowed National torch, it is set at 1/4 psi (7 IW) and works great. I got it at RV supply place.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-01-02, 1:46pm
Nah, not really...;)

Thank you!!!

Old 2007-01-02, 6:07pm
Formerly SirWatson

Ah! Makes sense! Thank you Mike!

<><